ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: my new 24" benelli nova shoots high. options?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:47 pm 
Field Grade

I shot a couple targets again the other day and made an interesting discovery, if I tighten the mag tube cap as tightly as possible by hand and get those last few micro clicks out of it, the pattern comes down where it should be (with both #4 and #5 shot). its still off to the left about 3" at 30 yards. I measured my beads on the rib with digital calipers and they are drilled correctly in the center of the rib, so I think the hitting left issue is mag tube alignment. I am going to try heating the mag tube and removing it from the gun, cleaning the Loctite off and reseating it. I am really glad I figured out how to bring the pattern down now I just need to move it 3" to the right and I will be on the money with the factory beads. pictured below are the 2 targets I shot with mag tube cap FULLY tightened down.
Attachment:
1017201213_resized.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

From a weirdo's point of view, it provides you a built in 3" lead on a bird moving right to left. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:06 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
From a weirdo's point of view, it provides you a built in 3" lead on a bird moving right to left. :wink: :lol:

:lol: true dat!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

kawaboy-zx11 wrote:
I shot a couple targets again the other day and made an interesting discovery, if I tighten the mag tube cap as tightly as possible by hand and get those last few micro clicks out of it, the pattern comes down where it should be (with both #4 and #5 shot). its still off to the left about 3" at 30 yards. I measured my beads on the rib with digital calipers and they are drilled correctly in the center of the rib, so I think the hitting left issue is mag tube alignment. I am going to try heating the mag tube and removing it from the gun, cleaning the Loctite off and reseating it. I am really glad I figured out how to bring the pattern down now I just need to move it 3" to the right and I will be on the money with the factory beads. pictured below are the 2 targets I shot with mag tube cap FULLY tightened down.
Attachment:
1017201213_resized.jpg

When checking horizontal accuracy, hitting left or right, you have to be COMPLETELY sure of what the wind is. It is amazing how much a small breeze can move a pattern sideways. Don't take off your magazine tube until you are completely sure about the horizontal miss.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:33 pm 
Field Grade

the day I shot those last 2 the wind was directly at my back. all of the shots that I have taken with this gun have printed a few inches left, even when shooting slugs on calm days.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sounds like you have it figured out. When I have gun shooting left or right I bend the barrel to compensate if it is more than just a little off. That is not an option for most. If you are only shooting the gun like a rifle, turkey for example, then moving your front site is another option, easier than removing the magazine tube which may or may not solve your problem. I suspect it won't solve it, but let's face it, I am guessing, but so are you. If you want to be certain, and with no danger of messing things up beyond belief moving your front sight sideways will accomplish what you want also. To do it you just have to do some simple test, really which you already done, 3" off left 30 yds, and figure out how much to move the bead to the right. If you want to do that, we can talk about it some more. But if Roy Rogers was doing, he would just put the bead just beside to right of the turkey head and call the problem solved.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:15 pm 
Field Grade

right thanks for the reply. I am going to try removing the mag tube first, if that doesn't work I may try some adjustable turkey sights. but I sure would like my hunting shotgun to hit exactly were I aim with out adding aftermarket sights. I also hunt doves and ducks occasionally. 3" left probably wouldn't matter for flying birds, but its getting pretty darn close to prefect as it don't take much to be 3" off at 30 yards so I am really hoping the mag tube re-alignment gets me there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Looks like you are fearless. This would be a good subject to come back to and tell us how it went. We don't get this much self determination often here. Good luck. I think you will figure it all out eventually.