ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Is the 16 Gauge Dead?"
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:51 am 
Diamond Grade

What is the best/easiest 16 gauge hull to reload for clay games?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Winchester compression formed if you can find any. Others seem to like Cheddites

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:00 pm 
Field Grade

Pretty clearly, the "16 gauge is dead" thread won't die. There are multiples of these in every hunting and shotgunning forum, and has been for decades.

Personally, I'm in the hunt for a nice, light, vintage, 16ga double.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That’s pretty good evidence that it’s not “dead”. Probably a case of a small group of loyal die hards. I’m one of ‘um.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got my FIL's belgium sweet 16 after he passed. I love the function and design of the gun; but the LOP is a little short for me. I do not want to make any changes to it so my daughter shoots it. I have even debated putting a slip on recoil pad to give it a little more length so I can enjoy it too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I could own only one gun it would be my Ithaca prewar 37 R with a polychoke on it. 95% of my hunting is done with a 16 gauge,that's rabbits to geese and I never feel under gunned.For waterfowl 1 oz of #4 Bismuth works very well to 35 yards or so. In the past few years I've gifted 3 grandkids Ithaca 16 gauges with more in the safe as the others come of age so I'm doing my part to keep it alive. Although I load my own I've noticed Walmart always has Federal,Remington,and Winchester on the shelf.