ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Is the 16 Gauge Dead?"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:42 pm 
Field Grade

I actually have a 16ga 3" magnum....I know your going to say I am crazy...but its true...I have a Charles Daly (sabatti) over under that is clearly marked 16ga 3" MAGNUM on the barrels as well as the box it came in...but I have never in my life seen a 3" magnum 16ga shell lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 am 
Presentation Grade

Let's all be honest with ourselves and everyone else...the most magical thing about the 16 gauge is the cool purple hulls...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:37 am 
Crown Grade

LOL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 16 is dead.....send all your 16 gauge ammo and components to me so I can properly dispose of them......free of charge. :mrgreen:

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dogchaser37,

If you get any graded 16 gauge L.C. Smith guns sent to you let me know I am always in the market for great Grouse guns. I will help you dispose of them all.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:23 am 
Utility Grade

Dead and gone here in Australia. Never seen one or know anybody that has one ,let alone getting ammunition for one. Would be exceptionally expensive I would imagine.

Mind you any of the subguages below 20ga are only just becoming popular with the skeet crowd ( not a big following, skeet that is and not my cup of tea, more a trap shooter) , so maybe one day a 16ga may appear in my near future

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:40 am 
Diamond Grade

Unless skeet is different in Australia, skeet alone will not bring out any 16 gauges per se. Skeet is a 4 gauge event and the 16 gauge is not one of the 4 gauges used. 12, 20, 28, and .410.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

But since so many shoot the 12 gauge Skeet event with a 20 gauge, you can shoot it with a 16 if you so desire. I only wish there was more target type ammo available for the 16, so I have to roll my own.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

I love a sports car with a standard transmission. I grew up driving with a clutch and stick. But the truth is a modern automatic transmission is simply better. The Porsche dual clutch auto will out perform even a professional driver with a standard. Ferrari doesn't even make a standard anymore.

The 16 gauge is the manual transmission of shotguns. If you enjoy it, shoot it. There really is no point in it existing anymore, but that really isn't the point, is it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Multiflora wrote:
The answers to the question would hinge upon the definition of the word dead, along with the preference for the gauge by whomever answers the question.

The 3" 16 gauge is a horrendous idea popularized by writers needing fodder for publication, marketers needing ideas at meetings and hunters battling boredom and seeking new must-haves.

The niche of the 16 gauge, to me, resides in the easily obtained esthetics of form and measure with an ability to spit 1 ounce to 1 1/8 ounce of shot to good result.

One can ruin-ish the gauge by reducing weight of the scattergun in search of brag or in lengthening that nicely turned case to try for the silly and over-blown idea of a do-all scattergun.
I hope the 16 remains as....little more than enough for most upland chores.
Those wishing for extras are less of a champion and more of a fiddler.

IMO, this same philosophy is applicable to the 3 1/2" twelve gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If everyone thought like you guys, we'd still be stuck on 2½" twelves. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rubberhead wrote:
Let's all be honest with ourselves and everyone else...the most magical thing about the 16 gauge is the cool purple hulls...

To me, that IS part of the appeal. Any other color should be punishable by law.

NRA Life/Endowment Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lossking wrote:
If everyone thought like you guys, we'd still be stuck on 2½" twelves. :roll:

I have to agree. Back in 1985-86 when we had steel shot forced upon us, I think if one of the major gun makers had developed the 3" 16 ga., that would have kept it in the game.

NRA Life/Endowment Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:23 am 
Diamond Grade

drawdc wrote:
I love a sports car with a standard transmission. I grew up driving with a clutch and stick. But the truth is a modern automatic transmission is simply better. The Porsche dual clutch auto will out perform even a professional driver with a standard. Ferrari doesn't even make a standard anymore.

The 16 gauge is the manual transmission of shotguns. If you enjoy it, shoot it. There really is no point in it existing anymore, but that really isn't the point, is it?

I thought the pump action was the manual transmission of shotguns. The 16 is the dimmer switch on the floor.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Rubberhead wrote:

I shot a 16Ga for the first time in 1963, in all these years not one purple shell has disgraced any shotgun I owned and never will!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just gave away about 500 of those Federal purple hulls because of an occasional basewad detachment. I told the guy I gave them to but he didn’t care and took them anyway

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:43 am 
Presentation Grade

PerryB wrote:
To me, that IS part of the appeal. Any other color should be punishable by law.

I love when a hunt ends with a great photo - the purple hulls leave no doubt that it's a sixteen.

bearman49709 wrote:
I shot a 16Ga for the first time in 1963, in all these years not one purple shell has disgraced any shotgun I owned and never will!

Not all of my favorite 16 gauge loads come in a purple hull so I keep a few handy for photos. But, I don't avoid a good load simply because it doesn't come in a purple shell either.

casonet wrote:
I just gave away about 500 of those Federal purple hulls because of an occasional basewad detachment. I told the guy I gave them to but he didn’t care and took them anyway

So far so good...keeping my fingers...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:37 pm 
Field Grade

Maybe some of the aficionados know where to buy Shotshells for the 16, I just attempted and couldn’t. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:27 am 
Tournament Grade

BB416 wrote:
Dead and gone here in Australia. Never seen one or know anybody that has one ,let alone getting ammunition for one. Would be exceptionally expensive I would imagine.

Mind you any of the subguages below 20ga are only just becoming popular with the skeet crowd ( not a big following, skeet that is and not my cup of tea, more a trap shooter) , so maybe one day a 16ga may appear in my near future

I Know someone with several 16G guns here in Aus.

Ammo is hard to come by for them here but there is some available. I would wager that most 16Ga guns here are beretta sxs guns. Many would have come here with italian immigrants most likely.
The 12 is the most popular of course, the next most frequently encountered would be .410 (single barrels).

Probably the biggest strike against the 16Ga is that mostly they are now made on 12 Ga action sizes. The flexibility of modern powders now means that the traditional shot weights of the 16 can now be had in 12 & 20 gauge shells.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Magic20,
Macks Prairie Wings currently has a limited supply of Winchester Super X in 16 gauge with 4,6 and 7 1/2 size shot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next