ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any updates to Win, super target shells vs universals?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:06 pm 
Field Grade

To me, depending on if my gun likes them, I should reach for the super target if the same price is what I'm gathering?

How do the federal 100 packs compare to the universal and super target? I haven't been able catch one of those yet, but am trying to grab a little of everything to try. For the cheap stuff, it's just winchester and federal, no remington by me.

I'm interested to try the federal. From the hours of research I've done the last couple of days, it sounds like the super target might be the best buy while it's on sale by me right now but I've always been a federal fan. I'm new to shotguns but not handgun/rifle. I've always liked federal for those but don't read much about federal shells?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Whipped500 wrote:
To me, depending on if my gun likes them, I should reach for the super target if the same price is what I'm gathering?

How do the federal 100 packs compare to the universal and super target? I haven't been able catch one of those yet, but am trying to grab a little of everything to try. For the cheap stuff, it's just winchester and federal, no remington by me.

I'm interested to try the federal. From the hours of research I've done the last couple of days, it sounds like the super target might be the best buy while it's on sale by me right now but I've always been a federal fan. I'm new to shotguns but not handgun/rifle. I've always liked federal for those but don't read much about federal shells?

None of it matters. Forget there are even brands printed on the boxes. Just buy the cheapest available with the exact load specificationsw you want to shoot. If you frequent reliable retailers, you won’t go wrong

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:45 pm 
Crown Grade

"Non of it matters"
Well maybe sometimes it doesn't matter or even most of the time it doesn't matter but some of the time it does matter, especially if you are shooting something with feathers!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:57 pm 
Limited Edition

geometric wrote:
"Non of it matters"
Well maybe sometimes it doesn't matter or even most of the time it doesn't matter but some of the time it does matter, especially if you are shooting something with feathers!

Well, we ARE talking about target shooting. See the original post. And the ammo varieties mentioned are pretty much confined to target ammo. But say more. Do you not pattern your ammo so no matter what it is, you match it to a choke that will provide the desired pattern efficiency?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:12 pm 
Crown Grade

"Well, we are talking about target shooting."
Is that a fact? My computer says it was posted in "Shotguns general". The only reference to "target" is the name put on the shells. They are very often used for hunting! I guess you can't shoot birds unless the box says "Dove & Quail".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:11 am 
Field Grade

I am only shooting for fun at clays, no hunting. I posted in general to hopefully get a wider variety of feedback on different ammo.

I am probably overthinking this whole thing but I like to research a lot when I get into something new so I hopefully don't waste money if I don't have to.

I'm also asking because as I said before, I've always been a fan of Federal for my handgun/rifle and not so much for winchester, but a friend I shoot with tells me the winchester is better than the federal (economy 100 pack for both) for shot shells. That is what really got me looking. Then I came across the super targets at a nice discount that put them at the same price as the win/fed economy pack.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:13 am 
Crown Grade

Whipped500 wrote:
I am only shooting for fun at clays, no hunting. I posted in general to hopefully get a wider variety of feedback on different ammo.

I am probably overthinking this whole thing but I like to research a lot when I get into something new so I hopefully don't waste money if I don't have to.

I'm also asking because as I said before, I've always been a fan of Federal for my handgun/rifle and not so much for winchester, but a friend I shoot with tells me the winchester is better than the federal (economy 100 pack for both) for shot shells. That is what really got me looking. Then I came across the super targets at a nice discount that put them at the same price as the win/fed economy pack.

I have personally experienced several issues with the Winchester Universal brand 100 packs sold at Walmart. I have as volunteer who helps out at the local AFB skeet range, also witnessed many issues with those shells. Everything from a dud, to failures to feed, eject, to even a squib load! The latter quite dangerous when it happens to beginners. Fortunately it was in an O/U and I was there to clear the barrels.

Although I have also experienced 2 issues with Federal 100 packs, they are the only ones to date and both involved the primers. One of those was a primer that was misaligned and caused the firing pin to hit the edge of the battery cup. The others were a Lot that had primers partially popping out after firing, but no issues after Federal testing that prevented them from being used.

I have not seen any others at the range. We no longer buy for sale the Winchester Universals and only supply the Federal brand. IMO all promotional brands are sub optimal although the Federal and Remington Gun Clubs are O.K. For other uses besides informal practice, I use much better quality ammunition.

Good luck.

Last edited by oyeme on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buy what you like and are in your price range :) Fot the majority of us even the "cheaper shells" are better than we are :wink: But no Universals for me :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Federal 100 packs contain the same shells as Federal Top Gun, with slightly different printing on the hull. In my guns, a variety of O/Us and autoloaders, they’ve worked about the same as Super Target. Both are decent shells and will break targets if you do your part.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:01 am 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
Whipped500 wrote:

I have personally experienced several issues with the Winchester Universal brand 100 packs sold at Walmart. I have as volunteer who helps out at the local AFB skeet range, also witnessed many issues with those shells. Everything from a dud, to failures to feed, eject, to even a squib load! The latter quite dangerous when it happens to beginners. Fortunately it was in an O/U and I was there to clear the barrels.

Although I have also experienced 2 issues with Federal 100 packs, they are the only ones to date and both involved the primers. One of those was a primer that was misaligned and caused the firing pin to hit the edge of the battery cup. The others were a Lot that had primers partially popping out after firing, but no issues after Federal testing that prevented them from being used.

I have not seen any others at the range. We no longer buy for sale the Winchester Universals and only supply the Federal brand. IMO all promotional brands are sub optimal although the Federal and Remington Gun Clubs are O.K. For other uses besides informal practice, I use much better quality ammunition.

Good luck.

Thanks, this was helpful. Again, I'm just getting started but this was my suspicion.

I think my buddy said he "thought" (nothing scientific, just out having fun) that the winchester was cleaner burning. I think he was saying that because I heard the Federal has a distinct smell.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:03 am 
Field Grade

hopper810 wrote:
Buy what you like and are in your price range :) Fot the majority of us even the "cheaper shells" are better than we are :wink: But no Universals for me :)

Completely agree...I just thought I would ask since I have three choices (win universal 100 pack, win super target, federal 100 pack) that are all the same price... basically avoid something or not?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:11 am 
Field Grade

lossking wrote:
The Federal 100 packs contain the same shells as Federal Top Gun, with slightly different printing on the hull. In my guns, a variety of O/Us and autoloaders, they’ve worked about the same as Super Target. Both are decent shells and will break targets if you do your part.

I'm hoping to find some Federal yet. I have some universal and super target to try when my gun comes in. The federal haven't been available (sold out) when I have gone to buy... everything is scarce. I just got lucky that they had just got some winchester.

I wish my walmart would carry the Remington, been hearing decent stuff about that stuff...but my walmarts only have the Win and Fed economy.

Oh, almost forgot, speaking of federal 100 pack being similar to the top gun, I thought I read somewhere that the super target was basically a universal shell and same load/wad as AA?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:14 am 
Field Grade

I should also add that I've noticed I've kinda turned this into a Walmart thread as well! That's because everything else around me is sold out or is charging too much. Walmart is still charging the same prices they were before the virus. The virus has taken a hit on my income so I'm trying to save where I can to be able to have a little fun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:16 am 
Diamond Grade

Whipped500 wrote:

Oh, almost forgot, speaking of federal 100 pack being similar to the top gun, I thought I read somewhere that the super target was basically a universal shell and same load/wad as AA?

I would bet my favorite shotgun that Super Target is not the same load as the AA...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Whipped500 wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that the super target was basically a universal shell and same load/wad as AA?

Not sure-I use the Estate SS Comp shells (Red/Brown box 1235 fps 1oz) as my #1 go to shells and if I can't find them(Academy) I use the Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics(Red box 1oz @ 1200 FPS) as my #2 choice(from my Club)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:28 am 
Crown Grade

Whipped500 said, "Oh, almost forgot, speaking of federal 100 pack being similar to the top gun, I thought I read somewhere that the super target was basically a universal shell and same load/wad as AA?"

IMO, No chance. Besides the hull the AA target ammo has much higher quality (hardness) shot in them which is one of the reasons they are more expensive. I would not equate any promotional ammo with quality target ammo. They are not the same. For informal practice buy that which is available and within your budget, but I would still stay away from Winchester Universal. IMO they are factory "seconds" in quality. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:31 am 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
Whipped500 said, "Oh, almost forgot, speaking of federal 100 pack being similar to the top gun, I thought I read somewhere that the super target was basically a universal shell and same load/wad as AA?"

IMO, No chance. Besides the hull the AA target ammo has much higher quality (hardness) shot in them which is one of the reasons they are more expensive. I would not equate any promotional ammo with quality target ammo. They are not the same. For informal practice buy that which is available and within your budget, but I would still stay away from Winchester Universal. IMO they are factory "seconds" in quality. Good luck!

Thanks, will do!

I should have said "read on the internet" rather than "read". I don't believe everything I read, but like I said... I'm new to the whole shotgun scene.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I really don't detect any difference between Super Target, Top Gun and Gun Club. They all work pretty well in my guns. That said, they all use soft shot compared to premium shells, with Super Target best, followed by Gun Club and then Top Gun per this shot hardness table. IMO, they're still suitable for clay targets except maybe the longest Sporting Clay and 5 Stand presentations. I don't shoot trap so can't comment on that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

Whipped:
Having an inquisitive mind is a positive trait. I think most of us learned something from this thread, I know I did. General discussions tend to wander somewhat. It is usually the case that what applies to one discipline also applies to another. I think we should stick pretty close to the original question but yet not be so military that we can't expand a bit, especially when the original question opens into another. That's what inquisitive minds do I think. I hope this has helped you and others. I wish you good luck & happy shooting!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:18 pm 
Limited Edition

geometric wrote:
"Well, we are talking about target shooting."
Is that a fact? My computer says it was posted in "Shotguns general". The only reference to "target" is the name put on the shells. They are very often used for hunting! I guess you can't shoot birds unless the box says "Dove & Quail".

I thought I sent you a reply to this, but must have slipped up. OP says clearly in his first post that he is only interested in breaking clay targets. Hence my focus on target ammo.