ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tri-Star over unders
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My first shotgun I purchased when I got serious about target shooting was a Tri -Star. I had some bad luck with it as it continued to double fire even after trips back to the factory.
Several of my friends use sub gauge semis for skeet and have no issues.
Have Tri-Star improved their o/u lines? They have some great prices as low as $475. A two barrel trap set up costs $1743.
Has anyone had any recent experience with their over under line in high volume shooting?

Post subject: Re: Tri-Star over unders
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:00 am 
Diamond Grade

I have not had experience with them, but have handled them. You get what you pay for, and ......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:15 pm 
Limited Edition

I had a inexpensive Tri-Star O/U in 12g (I think it was a "setter"). It was OK for a while, but when I started using it routinely for skeet it didn't last very long. Something about the way the lockup engaged - some little piece bent between the release lever and the lock plate at the bottom.

I don't shoot an O/U much except in the winter (don't like picking up hulls in the snow) but picked up a Weatherby Orion II for about $600 a couple years ago, and it's been fine. I know a couple guys that put a lot of rounds through 28 and .410 CZs. So I'd probably be inclined to save a couple hundred more and buy a somewhat better example.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Tri-Star 16 Ga Hunter EX, bough it to replace my 525 16 ga. I knew going in what it was, a casual pasture clays gun, hunting gun, carried a lot, shot a little. It is by no stretch of the imagination a target gun, never has been, and never will be. It does the job I purchased it for just fine. If I tried to make it into something it was never intended for, it probably would have failed by now. It gets maybe 200 shells a year, I am pleased with its performance. Would I have purchased it if I were looking for a target gun, HELL NO, that is what the Maxus, 912, Canvasback, and 1100 are for.

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cdb1097:
Not to change the subject but what is the Indiana Gun Club? While staying at the Tucson Trap and Skeet complex I notice they have a shop there. What is it all about?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:35 pm 
Crown Grade

I have the same gun as cdb1097. It has made one trip back to the factory for a bad firing pin. I shoot it about like he shoots his. Maybe a couple hundred rounds a year. It's actually OK for that , but I wouldn't use it for any serious clay shooting.

It will kill pheasants, rabbits and squirrels, just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Best advice that I ever had - "spend more buy better".
If you want a gun for higher volume shooting, choose Browning or Beretta depending on which one fits you better.
My 1997 Browning Citori will still be shooting when my Grandchildren get old.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wrfish wrote:
cdb1097:
Not to change the subject but what is the Indiana Gun Club? While staying at the Tucson Trap and Skeet complex I notice they have a shop there. What is it all about?

It is a Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays club, They also sell top end guns, ammo, and reloading supplies, also handguns. They hold the yearly Indiana SC Tournament, the SC Course is 12 stations, winding through wooded areas, and a few stations in the open. 100 round SC is $35.00 for members. It is a really nice setup, they have places for campers, and hookups. I live about 10 minutes from it.

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:34 am 
Tournament Grade

I believe one of the biggest mistakes a person can make is to buy an inexpensive shotgun and expect it to hold up to the hundreds of rounds shot in the clay sports. These shotguns were not designed or made to be target shotguns; field guns "yes", but not target guns.

If you want a shotgun primarily for trap, skeet or sporting clays...Spend the extra $$$.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My city dwelling brother in law was visiting last week. He had never shot a shotgun or knows anything about them. He asked what my Browning 725 cost. When I said it ruined $3000 He about fell over, he said he had no idea a shotgun could cost that much.
I paid $2300 for my first new car in 1972. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:06 am 
Diamond Grade

T-Bone wrote:
I believe one of the biggest mistakes a person can make is to buy an inexpensive shotgun and expect it to hold up to the hundreds of rounds shot in the clay sports. These shotguns were not designed or made to be target shotguns; field guns "yes", but not target guns.

If you want a shotgun primarily for trap, skeet or sporting clays...Spend the extra $$$.

Consider the average number of rounds fired per season by a ruffed grouse hunter. Multiply that by a lifetime of grouse hunting. Then, compare that to the number of rounds even a casual skeet/trap/sporting clays shooter puts through his shotgun on typical shooting weekend.

I guess a dove hunter could rack up quite a round count and you have to consider that some hunters' field loads (waterfowl loads?) are more stressful to a shotgun than target loads but, for the most part, I believe the average target gun really get a workout compared to a field gun.

Buy quality!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Most owners buy this gun for a loaner---

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:41 pm 
Limited Edition

wrfish wrote:
My city dwelling brother in law was visiting last week. He had never shot a shotgun or knows anything about them. He asked what my Browning 725 cost. When I said it ruined $3000 He about fell over, he said he had no idea a shotgun could cost that much.
I paid $2300 for my first new car in 1972. :lol:

Yeah, those city boys don’t know anything about shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

A young man's, that I shoot with, Dad bought a Tri-Star Field gun for him to shoot skeet. After 3 months it's on it's way back to fix a problem with the safety. His dad had a conversation with a Tri-Star CS person and was told that their field guns are not meant for high volume shooting. She suggested they upgrade to their competition guns. So, Tri-Star admits that they won't hold up to high volume. He had <100 boxes thru it in 3 months which for Tri-Star is high volume. I believe he paid around $400 for it. Be afraid; be very afraid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:23 am 
Utility Grade

Bought a TriStar Trinity O/U 20G in March. Been out to the range 3 times no problems. It depends if you are shooting for fun or competition. I've been to shoots where Brownings, Caesar's all have had issues. Money doesn't buy you the best gun. Just like cars, all have problems. Don't let anyone tell you a 500-600 gun isn't any good. Besides the TriStar, I also have a ATI Calvary 12G. 0 problems. Find something you like and have fun busting targets.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Any over under with an aluminum receiver is probably not going to hold up to high volume shooting. common sense tells us to match the tool to the job. sometimes You just have to spend the $$$. cry only once.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Goon1976 wrote:
Bought a TriStar Trinity O/U 20G in March. Been out to the range 3 times no problems. It depends if you are shooting for fun or competition. I've been to shoots where Brownings, Caesar's all have had issues. Money doesn't buy you the best gun. Just like cars, all have problems. Don't let anyone tell you a 500-600 gun isn't any good. Besides the TriStar, I also have a ATI Calvary 12G. 0 problems. Find something you like and have fun busting targets.

I think the consensus is there are many good dependable shotguns in the five and six hundred dollar range.i.e. Remington and Mossberg pumps ,not low priced over-unders.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Goon1976 wrote:

While more expensive, quality shotguns can also have "issues" down the road: Would you rather buy/own a shotgun that has "issues" after 100-200K rounds or 2.5K? I shoot about 12,000 rounds a year and go to the skeet/trap ranges 3-4 times a week, shooting with about 50 regular shooters. The only shotguns that I've seen in the past 5 years that needed to go back to the factory for repairs were cheap O/Us made in Turkey or Brazil. Your TriStar may be fine for shooting 3X in 7 months but many of us greatly exceed that frequency.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've put about 1500 rounds through my tristar setter 12 gauge. It's hold up just fine. Admittedly, it's a backup nowadays; I'm primarily shooting my browning cynergy because of the longer barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Wowzer wrote:
I've put about 1500 rounds through my tristar setter 12 gauge.

For me that would be about 6 weeks worth of shooting. Like I said before, TriStar admits these guns are not designed for high volume use. For the very occasional clay shooter or hunter, they may be fine, but for anyone looking to get into shotgunning at any frequency, they are not meant to hold up to that volume. They all work fine, until they don't.