ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tri-Star over unders
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:36 am 
Diamond Grade

People don't caution others about buying inexpensive O/Us because they're snobs. In a lot of cases, they're trying to help people avoid having the same frustrations they once experienced.

I have a TriStar Viper G2 that I enjoy, but I personally wouldn't buy a TriStar O/U. If I did decide to gamble on a cheap O/U for some reason, it would probably be a CZ.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the Sporting O/U. Been shooting it since 2014. I have not had any problems with it. I use it for clays, trap, and skeet. Would buy another one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:40 am 
Field Grade

I have been looking at the Trinity LT but I am LH and haven't found a lot of even neutral cast O/U's in my price range. I am looking for a $1000ish lightweight gun for upland and don't plan on shooting anything clay on a regular basis. I asked TriStar and their response was that their stocks are "fairly neutral" which is, I guess, like being mostly a virgin. There is not a lot of upland hunting in my area so most of the guns on both the new and used racks are heavy 12ga pumps and autos that deer and goose hunters love.

Anyone have any experience with the Trinity LT to confirm that it is cast neutral?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

a friend of mine has one and likes it, seems to work well for them but I don't think they are a heavy trap shooter, personally I wouldn't spend $1800 on one and instead would look at a Browning CXT or CX for that kind of money.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:20 pm 
Field Grade

bozack wrote:
a friend of mine has one and likes it, seems to work well for them but I don't think they are a heavy trap shooter, personally I wouldn't spend $1800 on one and instead would look at a Browning CXT or CX for that kind of money.

A Trinity LT goes for about $700 ish.

Can you ask your friend if is cast neutral? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:55 pm 
Field Grade

TriStar is the importer for these shotguns, at one point Huglu arms was the Mfr. Generally, you get a lot for your money. When people talk about high volume shooting a cheap $5K shotgun is the least of their expenses, for the average guy that is not possible. Most people shoot 100rds a week or less and that is still $1K in ammo a year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

You can get a new high volume gun for $2K (Browning, Beretta) that'll give you many years and 10s if not 100s of thousands of rounds of service. To get a significant improvement in volume/reliability you gotta get into the Perazzi/Krieghoff/Kolar class of shotgun in the $10K and up range.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

Are you insistent on buying new ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:14 pm 
Field Grade

captjsjr wrote:
Are you insistent on buying new ?

No. I am good with a used on in nice shape. Just don't see a lot of them around here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

wrfish wrote:
My city dwelling brother in law was visiting last week. He had never shot a shotgun or knows anything about them. He asked what my Browning 725 cost. When I said it ruined $3000 He about fell over, he said he had no idea a shotgun could cost that much.
I paid $2300 for my first new car in 1972. :lol:

I’m curious what car that was. A ‘71 Duster cost about $1,800 new.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:47 am 
Field Grade

EricB wrote:
wrfish wrote:
My city dwelling brother in law was visiting last week. He had never shot a shotgun or knows anything about them. He asked what my Browning 725 cost. When I said it ruined $3000 He about fell over, he said he had no idea a shotgun could cost that much.

He got the extended warranty, floor mats and undercoating. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

twohigh wrote:
Wowzer wrote:
I've put about 1500 rounds through my tristar setter 12 gauge.

For me that would be about 6 weeks worth of shooting. Like I said before, TriStar admits these guns are not designed for high volume use. For the very occasional clay shooter or hunter, they may be fine, but for anyone looking to get into shotgunning at any frequency, they are not meant to hold up to that volume. They all work fine, until they don't.

Wow. That's 250 rounds a week? I dont think my shoulder can handle it (but I'd love to try).

If you can afford 1500 rounds every 6 weeks, then you can certainly afford a higher end shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

We saved/invested and lived below our means during our working years. it's paid off and clay shooting is my passion in my retirement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 am 
Field Grade

twohigh wrote:
We saved/invested and lived below our means during our working years. it's paid off and clay shooting is my passion in my retirement.

I don't think anyone was being judgemental. I know that was not my intention. My sincere
congrats on getting through the workaday grind and ending up with the ability to enjoy
yourself. It gets tougher all the time to do that.

I hope to be in your position some day. For now, I am doing what you did - trying to be a bit
frugal or at least as practical as possible without eschewing any entertainment spending at all.

I love to be out in the woods and would prefer to avoid buying junk but simply can't justify
buying a $3K scattergun at this point in my life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:59 am 
Tournament Grade

At least the Tri-Stars are inexpensive. There have been some high priced "duds" too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:12 pm 
Crown Grade

jmacgreg wrote:
At least the Tri-Stars are inexpensive. There have been some high priced "duds" too.

Except you are astronomically more likely to encounter a "dud" in a cheap Tri-Star than you are in a more expensive gun. That's just a fact I have learned from experience and have seen repeated over and over and over and over. Some people just have to learn from their own mistakes.

I owned a Tri-Star OU for about a year. About once or twice out of every hundred rounds it would double. I also owned a CZ simi-auto for a while. Decent looking and shooting gun but it was fragile. Broke firing pin within the first year and hadn't shot it very much. My primary skeet gun is a Browning XS skeet that I've probably put 150,000 round through in the last 10 years and it has never needed repair. My 2 other Brownings have also never needed repair. There is no way the Tri-Star or CZ I owned would have survived anywhere near 150,000 rounds and my Browning is just now getting broke in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:23 am 
Field Grade

DEG wrote:
jmacgreg wrote:

Except you are astronomically more likely to encounter a "dud" in a cheap Tri-Star than you are in a more expensive gun. That's just a fact I have learned from experience and have seen repeated over and over and over and over. Some people just have to learn from their own mistakes.

I owned a Tri-Star OU for about a year. About once or twice out of every hundred rounds it would double. I also owned a CZ simi-auto for a while. Decent looking and shooting gun but it was fragile. Broke firing pin within the first year and hadn't shot it very much. My primary skeet gun is a Browning XS skeet that I've probably put 150,000 round through in the last 10 years and it has never needed repair. My 2 other Brownings have also never needed repair. There is no way the Tri-Star or CZ I owned would have survived anywhere near 150,000 rounds and my Browning is just now getting broke in.

Please don't take this personally but I don't agree and I mean this with the utmost respect.

The argument you are making translates into this: If you can't afford a $2000+ shotgun or can't find a reasonably priced used version of the same you should just take up playing games on your phone.

Some of us simply can't justify that sort of spending particularly if we only plan to hunt with it for a few months out of the year. I like quality stuff and if I won the lottery (which I incidentally don't play because it is a waste of money) I would buy a top end shotgun.

I am not buying the argument that if you don't spend a pile of cash you can't get a decent reliable shotgun that you can put a few boxes of shells through every hunting season and not have it fall apart. Sounds like the same argument that Henry Ford's competitors used to try to prevent people from wasting their money on a Model T.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:31 am 
Crown Grade

rkumetz wrote:
DEG wrote:
jmacgreg wrote:

Please don't take this personally but I don't agree and I mean this with the utmost respect.

The argument you are making translates into this: If you can't afford a $2000+ shotgun or can't find a reasonably priced used version of the same you should just take up playing games on your phone.

No, the argument I was making does not translate into anything like the nonsense you just fabricated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:52 am 
Field Grade

DEG wrote:
rkumetz wrote:
DEG wrote:
jmacgreg wrote:

No, the argument I was making does not translate into anything like the nonsense you just fabricated.

I will agree that we disagree on that point but then please answer this question. What is a person who can't afford to spend $2K or more to do? It is easy to point out that those expensive guns are better but if you can't afford them it is irrelevant. I think we all agree that the high end Brownings and Ero guns are fine pieces of machinery .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

EricB wrote:
wrfish wrote:

The car was a Dodge Charger, auto transmission, 318 cu in v-8. We choose not to have a/c since we lived in the U.P. of Michigan at that time. That was a big,big mistake.