ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trying to choose
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:31 am 
Utility Grade

I’ve been comparing SAs and reading through the forum for a while and am no closer to coming to a decision. I need help. I’m fairly new to bird hunting and for the last few years have been shooting my dad’s old 1100 and 870 wm. I’m looking for an all-around 12g as I do a mix of ducks and upland. Spec wise, I’m aiming for 3in, 28in barrel, 6lb 9oz-7lb 4oz range, $700-$1200, and most likely gas operated but I’m open to anything. I shoot my buddy’s older model browning a lot and really love it, so I figured I’d splurge and go buy a new A5 but I’m turned off by all the issues people seem to have with them. I’d say my top 3 choices rite now are the A300 Outlander, Maxus, and Franchi Affinity. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Trying to choose
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:17 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

The new Browning A-5 are built on a different principle than the older, long-recoil A-5's - so it's unlikely your experience will be the same.

You could look around for a NIB/used older Miroku Browning A-5 at a reasonable price of you prefer your friend's A-5

IME, guns for both ducks & upland game usually preform best with different barrels (or choke tubes) - so choose carefully.

Of your choices, the Beretta seems best - although I would choose a Remington 1100/11-87 with an extra barrel.

That goes double, if you liked shooting your dad's Rem 1100.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:17 am 
Presentation Grade

F&W_Pat wrote:
Spec wise, I’m aiming for 3in, 28in barrel, 6lb 9oz-7lb 4oz range, $700-$1200, and most likely gas operated but I’m open to anything.

I'm not up to speed on modern autoloaders but I think, spec wise, that's going to be a challange.

When I was just out of school, the duck seasons were short so I considered myself a combination of a duck hunter and an upland bird hunter so I wanted my first gun to be something like you've defined.

I'm not a great big, strong guy but I'm not frail either so I went with an 7lb 15 ounce Citori 12 gauge to get me through the first couple of years but started immediately saving for a light weight subgauge to take over the upland duties. 33 years later the Citori is still my primary duck gun and a 20 gauge Sporter BSS is my go-to upland gun. I love the BSS but have been thinking a lot lately about a 28 gauge double since my "upland" birds are mostly doves, and coastal rail with some snipe and woodcock when the seasons and weather allow...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:39 am 
Limited Edition

F&W,

I can only speak for the A300. I’ve owned one for several years. I put well over 5K shells through it. From 3/4 oz handloads to factory 3 inch, I’ve never experienced ANY problem whatsoever. It is a well made, high quality gun that doesn’t need constant care and is soft shooting. It is the best entry level SA I’ve ever owned.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Enjoy it frequently. And, welcome to the forum. There are some nuggets of wisdom and experience to be found here. But, you will need to dig.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:40 am 
Crown Grade

Perhaps you might want to take a look at the V3. Price range is right , barrel length is no problem, gas operated ( soft shooter ).

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

I’m very happy with my Benelli Montefeltro. It’s in your price range and does the things you want it to do. It does them for me, so I know.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:46 pm 
Field Grade

For everything that you’re wanting it to do I’d choose the Beretta A400 plus. Stoeger 3000, 3500 are good guns based on the Benelli inertia actions. I love the Benelli guns but am getting older and like the gas guns more than i used to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have owned 2 A300s and currently 2 Affinity's . Both are pretty good shotguns for the money, the Affinity's are easier to clean and reassemble in I really couldn't tell much difference in recoil. In your price range I would see also the Beretta A400 Action and Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter. If you're hunting waterfowl the Fabarm will accept Steel shot through all chokes. Sorry to muddy the waters even more. Edit to add: I've also owned 3 A400s and have been shooting a Fabarm L4S Grey Hunter fo the last 4years. All of the above mentioned shotguns have been very reliable and have seen pretty extensive shooting not only in the field but on the clays course.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Don’t ignore one of the best gas-semi’s ever discontinued...the Beretta 390! It checks all of your criteria and then some...about as bullet proof as can be made...and will keep on going forever!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Had a close friend with a nice field lab drool on my camo Affinity so I sold it to him. I have another already on order since I really liked the first one. Next season, dove and quail over Miss Lily!

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Yea it sucks about the new A5, I figured I'd get the great gun I've shot with modern updates. My 1100 has been solid, but want to venture to a different make and test the waters

CriscoKid wrote:

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

The new Browning A-5 are built on a different principle than the older, long-recoil A-5's - so it's unlikely your experience will be the same.

You could look around for a NIB/used older Miroku Browning A-5 at a reasonable price of you prefer your friend's A-5

IME, guns for both ducks & upland game usually preform best with different barrels (or choke tubes) - so choose carefully.

Of your choices, the Beretta seems best - although I would choose a Remington 1100/11-87 with an extra barrel.

That goes double, if you liked shooting your dad's Rem 1100.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Yea I'm in school in NC rite now, so it's limited upland like you stated. I'm from the midwest though so I'd like to start going back for pheasants

Rubberhead wrote:
F&W_Pat wrote:
Spec wise, I’m aiming for 3in, 28in barrel, 6lb 9oz-7lb 4oz range, $700-$1200, and most likely gas operated but I’m open to anything.

I'm not up to speed on modern autoloaders but I think, spec wise, that's going to be a challange.

When I was just out of school, the duck seasons were short so I considered myself a combination of a duck hunter and an upland bird hunter so I wanted my first gun to be something like you've defined.

I'm not a great big, strong guy but I'm not frail either so I went with an 7lb 15 ounce Citori 12 gauge to get me through the first couple of years but started immediately saving for a light weight subgauge to take over the upland duties. 33 years later the Citori is still my primary duck gun and a 20 gauge Sporter BSS is my go-to upland gun. I love the BSS but have been thinking a lot lately about a 28 gauge double since my "upland" birds are mostly doves, and coastal rail with some snipe and woodcock when the seasons and weather allow...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:05 pm 
Utility Grade

The A300 is in the #1 spot in my mind. It seems great. I'm glad to hear you feel it's high quality. I talked to someone and they complained it felt cheap to them even at that price point.

Dward wrote:
F&W,

I can only speak for the A300. I’ve owned one for several years. I put well over 5K shells through it. From 3/4 oz handloads to factory 3 inch, I’ve never experienced ANY problem whatsoever. It is a well made, high quality gun that doesn’t need constant care and is soft shooting. It is the best entry level SA I’ve ever owned.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Enjoy it frequently. And, welcome to the forum. There are some nuggets of wisdom and experience to be found here. But, you will need to dig.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:07 pm 
Utility Grade

they seem great, but I've only owned rems so I want to try something new.

Tidefanatic wrote:
Perhaps you might want to take a look at the V3. Price range is right , barrel length is no problem, gas operated ( soft shooter ).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:12 pm 
Utility Grade

thanks, I've been wanting to shoot one. Haven't had the chance yet

EricB wrote:
I’m very happy with my Benelli Montefeltro. It’s in your price range and does the things you want it to do. It does them for me, so I know.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:16 pm 
Utility Grade

the Beretta A400s are just a little over my price point. If I decided to scrap one $1250 gun for two $650 guns I'm definitely making one a Stoeger

loneranger wrote:
For everything that you’re wanting it to do I’d choose the Beretta A400 plus. Stoeger 3000, 3500 are good guns based on the Benelli inertia actions. I love the Benelli guns but am getting older and like the gas guns more than i used to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a couple of Beretta autos I love (AL390 and AL391) so when the A300 Outlander came out, and I was offered a heck of a deal on one, I bit. I've shot it quite a bit and I am really impressed with it. I had it out yesterday and was admiring how smooth the action feels when operating the bolt. I don't think you can beat it for the money!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:09 am 
Limited Edition

391 probably checks the boxes. Save a few bucks too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:20 am 
Limited Edition

You have discovered the true subjective nature of shotguns. It’s how they feel to us. Weight, balance, recoil, stock dimensions, etc. Only you can decide if its right for you. Enjoy whatever you decide on. Find a local club, if you don’t already belong to one, and shoot the crap out of it.

F&W_Pat wrote:
The A300 is in the #1 spot in my mind. It seems great. I'm glad to hear you feel it's high quality. I talked to someone and they complained it felt cheap to them even at that price point.

Dward wrote:
F&W,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:14 pm 
Utility Grade

If you think those 2 are comparable, I'd probably go with the A300 then. There about $250 cheaper. I've shouldered both, they both fit nicely

fatguywithafirearm wrote:
I have owned 2 A300s and currently 2 Affinity's . Both are pretty good shotguns for the money, the Affinity's are easier to clean and reassemble in I really couldn't tell much difference in recoil. In your price range I would see also the Beretta A400 Action and Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter. If you're hunting waterfowl the Fabarm will accept Steel shot through all chokes. Sorry to muddy the waters even more. Edit to add: I've also owned 3 A400s and have been shooting a Fabarm L4S Grey Hunter fo the last 4years. All of the above mentioned shotguns have been very reliable and have seen pretty extensive shooting not only in the field but on the clays course.