Diamond Grade

skar wrote:
Just plain on lower sores .

That sounds horrible :lol:

Post subject: Re: Shooting and Vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
But keep asking dumb questions on an Internet forum with a thin skin:-)

Refresh my memory, what were the dumb questions?
I can only remember a couple questions.
After you said
Quote:
you best not overthink things

I said, So I should stop thinking?

Another was:
Quote:
What are the odds that these two different optometrists give me the same prescription?

There I reviewed the questions and did that especially for you because you told me to keep asking dumb questions.

Everytime I ask a dumb question it is because I was following your advice, so you got yourself to blame for my questions. Maybe if your advice was better my answer would be more pleasing. So get me some better converstation. Dumb comments seem to get dumb question back to you like noted above,

One thing to think about, I really never ASK about this vision thing. I was just talking about it, not asking about it, and some others joined in talking about it. If you don't like talking about vision, no one is stopping you from leaving.

You seem to be really brilliant and full of great advice, which question was the one that irritated you most and was the most stupid? Now you even got me to ask a 3rd question,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 am 
Limited Edition

Wait, I'm confused. You have this great book to fix your vision but you couldn't see well enough to pass the DMV vision? And you sought out a lowly optometrist to get evil glasses that would ruin your eyes even though Quackenbush says you don't need them? Ok, sarcasm off.

There are 4 possible problems here 1. Glasses not made to the Rx by lab (it happens). 2. Rx not right by the doc (it happens). Those 2 are an easy fix. 3. There's another problem with your eye-not refractive but pathology/disease or 4. Your CK procedure years ago-the chickens are coming home to roost. Unless you mis-typed and had RK, then it's definitely your old surgery. Older refractive surgery techniques often result in an irregular cornea which is hard to correct down the road. Often times in the short term there are gains but over years the cornea does not react well and you end up back where you started or worse. I'm not talking about LASIK OR PRK.

If you saw 2 optometrists yesterday you should already know which of these it is. Perhaps you'd like to share? Or just continue arguing semantics?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:42 am 
Diamond Grade

DooFighter wrote:
Your CK procedure years ago-the chickens are coming home to roost.
If you saw 2 optometrists yesterday you should already know which of these it is. Perhaps you'd like to share?

Very interesting on the CK thing. The CK was done by an opthalmologist, an actual MD, supposedly a top guy at the time. It seemed to work out, but who knows? I have been pleased with it for many years. Before that procedure I had slight far sightedness, and it did bug me quite a bit. The CK procedure ended up changing my dominance also, which I really appreciated, because I was cross dominant before. I think maybe I should check this out some more about the significance of the CK. I told both optometrists about it, and they did not seem very concerned about it.

One thing I noticed different between the two was the prescription part concerning astigmatism.
Guy #1 said this about that:
rt eye, cylinder -2.25 Axis 090 ------- left eye, cylinder -2.25 Axis 071
Guy #2 said:
rt eye, cylinder -1.75 Axis 091 ------- left eye, cylinder -1.25 Axis 072

Guy #1 never found any problem in the lenses or my Rx that he had given me.

I haven't researched the significance in that much difference between the two prescriptions yet, but will try to do that shortly. I will take one of my ray-ban shooting glasses have it done with the #2 Rx and see how they compares to #1.

My vision right now is at the 20/40 level, they tell me, and the right eye has that growing cataract, which might be starting to give me problems. For example the new glasses #1 that right side is not near as clear as the left.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 am 
Crown Grade

Some of the guys have given you some good advice - but I’m not sure if you’re open to taking it.

Here’s the main thing -

NEVER go to Walmart for any kind of Ophthalmology, Optometry, or and Eyecare needs! Hell, the eyes are probably the second most important things on a guys body.

I wouldn’t want ANY help or information from a Walmart on guns or autos. And I certainly wouldn’t want it for my eyes.

If you are just looking to save money, Costco is supposed to have fairly good optical services. Personally I like to go to independent eye professionals, and I check around pretty carefully before selecting somebody.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:33 am 
Diamond Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
Some of the guys have given you some good advice - but I’m not sure if you’re open to taking it.

Here’s the main thing -

NEVER go to Walmart for any kind of Ophthalmology, Optometry, or and Eyecare needs!

My local Walmart rents the optometry space in their store to an optometry practice. The quality of the service depends on the practice renting the space, not Walmart.

Most optometrists use the same local labs to grind lenses. Walmart has nothing to do with it.

I believe Walmart markets its own lines of eyeglass frames along with some national brands. Other than that, I really don't think they have anything to do with a patent's experience at a Walmart optical department. I may be wrong...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

desmobob wrote:
My local Walmart rents the optometry space in their store to an optometry practice. The quality of the service depends on the practice renting the space, not Walmart.

Most optometrists use the same local labs to grind lenses. Walmart has nothing to do with it.

I believe Walmart markets its own lines of eyeglass frames along with some national brands. Other than that, I really don't think they have anything to do with a patent's experience at a Walmart optical department. I may be wrong...

I have used Walmart for many things, and have always got great service. The optometrist that works there just uses it as a store front. The Walmart model makes for low prices. They partner with suppliers who give them really low prices, and in the end that gets passed along, That is probably true of the lens grinders also. They get a really good pricing from a major supplier and pass it on.

The good thing about this is I can do what I did at low cost. I got two different sets of glasses with prescriptions from 2 different optometrists. At some point it will become apparent if one is better than the other. At that point, I can get the one not cooperating so well, replaced free of charge with the Rx that is working. I have 60 days to sort this out. It seems like a reasonable way to me. Once I am sure of what I want in a pair of glasses, I can have one done with bifocals, tints, and/or frames of my choice, and maybe I will not even be satisfied until I get that right eye cataract taken care of. In the end, I could go off in that direction, They tell me it is not bad enough yet to do anything about it. Just the same I like to have a plan B ready, so I started looking into cataract treatment, and found one that looks worth pursuing if I go that direction.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:

Here’s the main thing -

NEVER go to Walmart for any kind of Ophthalmology, Optometry, or and Eyecare needs! Hell, the eyes are probably the second most important things on a guys body.

I wouldn’t want ANY help or information from a Walmart on guns or autos. And I certainly wouldn’t want it for my eyes.

If you are just looking to save money, Costco is supposed to have fairly good optical services. Personally I like to go to independent eye professionals, and I check around pretty carefully before selecting somebody.

I can understand your fixation on so many people not knowing shet
from shinola. Nothing new about that. The world is full of bad
advice, bad products, bad medicine, bad this, bad that. In
fact it is damn rare to find something really good. I Suspect
Costco has their share of morons also, no one is immune from this.
The medical area is one that really falls short, in my opinion.
Don't even get me started there, beyond this eye vision thing.

Last edited by JoeCool on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

I got my glasses at Costco dress and sun glasses .
But not there eye doc .
Bring them your script.
Great product support.
$250 for both pair .
I’ll never go back to get the glasses from my doc .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:53 pm 
Limited Edition

JoeCool wrote:
desmobob wrote:

I have used Walmart for many things, and have always got great service. The optometrist that works there just uses it as a store front. The Walmart model makes for low prices. They partner with suppliers who give them really low prices, and in the end that gets passed along, That is probably true of the lens grinders also. They get a really good pricing from a major supplier and pass it on.

The good thing about this is I can do what I did at low cost. I got two different sets of glasses with prescriptions from 2 different optometrists. At some point it will become apparent if one is better than the other. At that point, I can get the one not cooperating so well, replaced free of charge with the Rx that is working. I have 60 days to sort this out. It seems like a reasonable way to me. Once I am sure of what I want in a pair of glasses, I can have one done with bifocals, tints, and/or frames of my choice, and maybe I will not even be satisfied until I get that right eye cataract taken care of. In the end, I could go off in that direction, They tell me it is not bad enough yet to do anything about it. Just the same I like to have a plan B ready, so I started looking into cataract treatment, and found one that looks worth pursuing if I go that direction.

Joe, I’m just a lay person ophthalmology patient with an opinion based on my own experience. Take it or leave it. I wouldn’t let an ophthalmologist replace only one cataract. That would be awful. Yellow, crappy vision in the uncorrected eye and blue, perfect vision in the corrected eye. Makes no sense. From what I hear ophthalmologists can be persuaded to interpret the analytics on the second eye in a way to justify Medicare payment for both. My doc believed doing both was the only way in any case.

In the old days, a cataract couldn’t be replaced until it was “ripe”, i.e. hard enough to be removed in one piece. That could take decades if it ever happened at all. Nowadays, fragile cataracts are removed all the time. They are destroyed by a laser and the pieces are vacuumed out. No reason not to do both except the expense. If the doc goes to bat for you with Medicare, all’s good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Auldthymer wrote:

Joe, I’m just a lay person ophthalmology patient with an opinion based on my own experience. Take it or leave it. I wouldn’t let an ophthalmologist replace only one cataract. That would be awful. Yellow, crappy vision in the uncorrected eye and blue, perfect vision in the corrected eye. Makes no sense. From what I hear ophthalmologists can be persuaded to interpret the analytics on the second eye in a way to justify Medicare payment for both. My doc believed doing both was the only way in any case.

In the old days, a cataract couldn’t be replaced until it was “ripe”, i.e. hard enough to be removed in one piece. That could take decades if it ever happened at all. Nowadays, fragile cataracts are removed all the time. They are destroyed by a laser and the pieces are vacuumed out. No reason not to do both except the expense. If the doc goes to bat for you with Medicare, all’s good.

I appreciate the info on your experience because I might have to do the cataract thing. They tell me at present it should not be a problem, and is only getting slightly noticeable in the right eye. I'll put your advice in the memory banks if I have to proceed, along with a bunch of other info. I have a brother and sister in law that had both eyes done, and have their input also. They did the surgical replacement of the lens. I like the sound of the laser and vacuuming better, but of course it is early in the investigation, and I might get a good prescription Monday, time will tell.

If I go the cataract area I will try to explore that new treatment that you mentioned. There is an outfit in Florida, that does it, sounds very good on initial look at it.

If I can't get someone to get me prescription for that right eye, my thought has to be that something else is messing up that eye, and cataract would be a suspect, I suppose, since that is the eye that is not cooperating well with the prescriptions. But, the two different prescriptions for that eye make that part suspect immediately.

In retrospect, I should have got glass lenses, cheaper than polycarbonate . That way getting more than one pair made, cost would have been way down. I just figured that it would all work, never thought it would have any problems. Once I really figured out the prescription, then get the lighter more expensive lenses. At least I only got single vision clear, and the cost was quite low. I used my old ray ban frames, I've got 4 of them. They work good for me if they have polycarbonate lenses. The original glass ones were uncomfortable because of the weight. I had the glass replaced in two of them with poly, and no prescription, did not need the Rx until this current time. So I got lots of frames, and you can get lenses pretty cheap. especially glass, single vision, no other options.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:37 am 
Limited Edition

couple things...2 eyes do not HAVE to be done together although it is more common than not.

"Ripe" was never an accurate term but it was what ophthalmology used when they dummed it down. Ripe means the cataract is significant enough that the risks of surgery are worth taking for the benefit of vision improvement. What has changed here in the last 30 years is that the risks of complications are much lower now, so the cataract does not have to be as "ripe" or bad as it used to be to do surgery.

There are no lasers used in cataract surgery. It's called a phacoemulsifier. It does break up the lens into many small pieces and they are vacuumed out. Surgeons like to say laser tho, sounds cool and cutting edge. This technique is not new in cataract surgery, it is the standard and has been for quite a few years.

Auldtymer is right about medicare/insurance and your doc and diagnosis. There is room for interpretation.

The newest things in cataract surgery are not really that new at all but have been used for quite a few years. Everything is geared to a small incision, that's how they decreased the risks of surgery. Just like arthroscopic surgery, smaller entrance wound, quicker healing with less risk of complication. They even use foldable implant lenses now, fold up like a taco to fit thru the teeny tiny incision. And most docs are using topical anesthesia now meaning drops only to numb the eye instead of a shot of anesthetic...again, less risk of complication.

They DO use laser if you get a secondary cataract on the implant to remove it. It's pretty slick. But that's not the actual surgery to remove cataracts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:56 am 
Diamond Grade

Interesting, thanks.