ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AyA 4/53 info
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello, I just recently purchased a AyA 4/53 12 bore in Like New condition. I ordered it online, so I haven't gotten my hands on it yet, but i'm very anxious, and curious too.

I have read that they are hand built Spanish boxlocks, but just how hand built is it? What justifies the price of the gun?

Thanks every body for your input!

Post subject: Re: AyA 4/53 info
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 pm 
Crown Grade

What price? My opinion is they are pretty good guns. A buddy of mine had three of them in 12, 20, 28. He shot them quite a lot over many years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought it for $2845, so it was very good price, if the gun is in the condition as advertised. But since you can easily spend over $4000, I wonder why they are worth that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The #4 is a lighter weight gun and the 4/53 is built on a slightly heavier frame. That's a good price.

21 yrs back I bought a #2 for $3600 and they are going for $7900 today. My gun has been to South American 2x times. Still functions as new. Today , it is my only walk up hunting gun.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 am 
Limited Edition

DontTreadOnMe88 wrote:
Hello, I just recently purchased a AyA 4/53 12 bore in Like New condition.

I have read that they are hand built Spanish boxlocks, but just how hand built is it? What justifies the price of the gun?

Thanks every body for your input!

You’ve pick a good gun at a good price. If it were a 20 I’d try to carve it out for myself. The price is justified by the amount of hand craftsmanship that goes into a gun. According to people such as Terry Wieland, who writes extensively on doubles, and others, the AyA factory is steeped in the traditions of Basque gun making. The Basque makers were small, mostly family operations. I say were as many have stopped operating in the last few years. AyA is a survivor.

I have a No.2 and can attest to the fact it was completely hand made. Today I would not find it hard to believe that, in order to survive financially, that they use some CNC equipment. In a world filled with machine made guns it’s wonderful to own and shoot high quality craftsmanship. The 4/53 is their top of the line boxlock. As the No.2 increased in price the 4 series guns gained more attention. They are beautiful guns with great wood.

Because my gun is a light game gun I use 7/8 oz reloads when shooting targets. But, I’m old and feeble. I really don’t want to be pounded a hundred times a day by 1 1/8 oz 3 dram loads anymore.

BTW. Wieland’s book is titled “Spanish Best”. It’s a little dated now, but is a great guide to Spanish guns.

Enjoy the crap out of your gun. You did well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you very much Dward, my intention was to read up on some of the fine shotgun literature that is out there, namely the McIntosh books, but I'll give Terry Wieland's a look at as well.

I haven't received my gun yet, but I am definitely excited.

Regards,

Clinton