ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This Site Still Has a Malware Problem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:44 am 
Diamond Grade

My AVG anti-virus program is giving me this message every time I switch pages.

"Aborted connection on tags.dashboardad.net because it was infected with malware."

I wish the administrators would address this issue. If my anti-virus program is accurate, it is telling you where the problem lies. Please notify whoever is "tags.dashboardad.net" that they have a problem and eliminate this pop-up (which I assume it is) but whatever it is, this needs to be fixed. Thanks

Post subject: Re: This Site Still Has a Malware Problem
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:43 am 

Apparently it is not as simple as you think, the folks that do that stuff are working on the situation.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:27 am 
Crown Grade

I'm not sure when my problems with this site started, but it was way last winter. The time needed to load and display ANYTHING on SGW is about 5 times longer than it was last year and I can't stay logged in for 24 hours. Everyday I visit, I have to log back in and it doesn't matter if I check off the box to stay logged in or not. I thought maybe it was a glitch in my computer. Wrong! Just bought a new computer last Sunday and it will not keep me logged in either. So it isn't my computer. And the new computer has a different anti-virus software package, so it isn't that either. I did & do use the 'uBlock Origin' add blocking app on both computers. I visit 5 SGW forums every day and it can take up to 2 minutes to load a page from any of them. VERY frustrating!

Retired

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have 4 computers and no problems on any of them other than last week several times I would get an error message the sire was unavailable. I have Norton 360 on all, and AdBlock on all, and an AVS set up on two. Being a Bonus Member I do not get the big background ads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:24 am 
Diamond Grade

No problems here, but I don't try to stay logged in 24/7. Not on SGW or any site. Oh, I use an iPad and a Windows laptop using Firefox.

I do check the box that logs me in automatically whenever I go to SGW. That takes me to the "new posts" page and them I can scroll down to see what threads catch my eye. It may be from the sporting forum or the skeet forum or 'I love my xyz' or the ____ forum. Way more interesting than just looking at a couple forums for my main interests... and I often learn things from forums I'd otherwise never see.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:32 am 
Limited Edition

My continuing problem with this site is that I usually have to log in 3 times to get to the site. First time I usually get shifted to a google award presentation where I’ve been selected to win a “prize”! I try again and now I’m told I need a VPN because the site is not secure. Naturally I’m offered one to purchase. I try again and this time I actually get to SGW. I come here less now due to the hassle. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and is there a cure?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:40 am 
Diamond Grade

This is an odd situation, some seem to have a lot of problems, others seem to have none.
I'm in the latter group, no issues on my end at all. I have 3 Windows boxes and a Slackware box, no issues on any of them. On all of them I run Firefox with AdBlock, I also have a blackhole DNS server to kill ads and trackers network wide.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:43 am 
Crown Grade

My cure/workaround is to use my desktop Windows 10 computer and Chrome browser. So far, it has not redirected me. Maybe because of the built in Windows Defender or AdBlock. However, if I use my android phone, it will redirect me one time, then allow me to get on the site. I have 2 anti virus apps installed but they are not catching the redirect.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

I still have no problems on this site. I am using a MacBook Pro with Adblock Plus, no virus protection.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:16 pm 
Crown Grade

I get no redirects on my laptop with Win 7 and using adblock plus, but the new post feature is as slow as death. It takes at least 15-20 seconds to get to the first unread post.

Maybe I'm being impatient. Remember when we had dial-up? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

painter* wrote:
Maybe I'm being impatient. Remember when we had dial-up? :mrgreen:

Yes, and a T1 was FAST...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think it is one of the advertiser links, and I never get it on my workstation only my iOS devices.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:52 pm 
Limited Edition

My Malwarebytes software doesn't like this site. Right now AdBlocker is saying there are 12 redirects. I can't log onto SW on my work computer because it says it is a known site with issues. My iphone also doesn't like it. I just try it play it safe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Using Win7 on desktop, no issues. I do agree with the post about logging out of sites when finished, including email clients. It's difficult to isolate an issue with so many different devices in use and their configurations. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Seems to be getting worse. And, this is the only site where I experience the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

I run an ad blocker but this has to be associated with a pop-up that runs on some days and not on others. It's been bad today and yesterday but for a couple days before that there was no problem with more warnings from my anti-virus program.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:26 am 
Presentation Grade

I've got a Macbook Pro running High Sierra and I also run into redirects.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:42 am 
Limited Edition

I access mostly with Android phone. I get 1 redirect then let's me in if I back out of the redirect. The button to see new/unread posts is extremely slow. That started recently, couple months ago. The redirects maybe before that. I put up with it because this is the best shotgun site around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

mpolans wrote:
I've got a Macbook Pro running High Sierra and I also run into redirects.

Put Adblocker Plus on your MacBook and the redirects will stop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

The misdirects will stop (I don't get them) but if my anti-virus program is correct, there is malware associated with one of them that it is blocking. If your anti-virus is not up to snuff (or if you don't have one) your computer could get infected.