ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting Glasses
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

My clay's shooting is getting progressively worse. My scores are going slowly backwards. I think it's a vision issue. I shoot with the same distance prescription that I drive my car with. Where should the focus of my shooting glasses be? Where is a good place to buy shooting glasses? Can my eye doctor give me a prescription that the glass maker can use? I'm looking for some advice / direction from someone who has had the same trouble. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Shooting Glasses
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

It is possible that you might be able to finagle around
with prescriptions and make the shooting better, but
I am pretty sure no one really knows for sure, because
it would take a lot of experimenting to prove it. Best
guess is just to go with your distance prescription.

Color is debated, some say purple, some say red, it
used to be yellow. I believe clear is best, because it
lets the most light through which gives the smallest
pupil size which gives that largest range for things
being in focus.

Large lens probably best, so it can go quite above your
eye, thus giving lots of lens even with the head tilted
forward in shooting position.

Then too, mistaken prescriptions are fairly common.
I think I have one of those right now for my right lens.
If you have a mistaken prescription that throws everything
off.

There are so many variables that go into shooting,
probably quite possible it is not vision that is your
problem. If everyone could figure out their problem
we would all be George Digweed, but we aren't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

How old are you? Do you see an ophthalmologist or only an optometrist? If you are old enough, might you have advanced cataracts?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:54 pm 
Crown Grade

LM lenses and TX Shooter's Optical are good places for glasses/lenses; see your eye doctor and explain what you are trying to accomplish.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:44 am 
Limited Edition

Your distance Rx should be good for shooting, no special Rx necessary. Bifocal/multifocal only if you want to be able to score or read something while shooting (depending on your age.) Decot and Ranger are also good places for shooting glasses. Talking with your eye doctor is a good idea, he/she can provide a prescription to use at the place you choose. One advantage of the "shooting" glasses is they tend to be larger on top allowing a larger field of view when the gun is mounted which tends to tip your chin down slightly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:44 am 
Crown Grade

A complete eye exam is a help,I use Decot Hy wide for my glasses.A tip on color,is you can send them
a color,that you desire and the computer will duplicate it,so you have a choice of colors,not just the
standard ones?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for your responses. I'm 71 and i'm sure that has a lot to do with my decline in shooting scores. however I shoot with guys older than me who are shooting better than they ever have.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

I tried bifocal shooting lenses - no good. I'm used to progressives in my regular glasses and looking down to walk thru the readers made me uneasy, almost dizzy. So I re-ordered and got single vision only distance and that was much better. The target is the thing that HAS to be in focus. The bead or barrel doesn't need to be in focus and you shouldn't be looking at them. I've had good luck with LM Lenses. You should have a recent Rx and know your pupil distance for both far and near. LM Lenses did a good job with my Rx and I have an astigmatism so the axis has to be right, and it was. For sunny days, or if you have to deal with glare at all while shooting, your lens should be dark & Polaroid. After getting a pair of regular sunglasses with dark brown Polaroid lenses, and using them to shoot, my scores took a big jump. I just ordered a pair of dark brown Polaroid lenses for my Ranger shooting glasses.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:29 am 
Crown Grade

My shooting glasses use the same prescription as my driving glasses but, due to my shooting form and gun mount, this old gent's eyes are looking through the lens a bit above the center point of the lens. It does make a difference!

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I go in every 6 months, I wear contacts and I take the new glasses options every year on insurance, I pay out of pocket for one extra vision exam and a "year's" supply of contacts.

RX shooting glasses is a science and a recipe that I want no part of, so contact it is for me, I've been wearing em since 8th grade anyways.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"