ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: versamax is light denting primers...again
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I had this posted on the remington lovers forum...but no responses and then realized might be better suited on a rem haters forum! thanks for any input knowledgeable folks can provide...

Hey all, I know that this is well known issue with the versa. I've read pages and pages of 'fixes' and have tried most of them. Recoil spring, new firing pin, new trigger group, sent back to Remington. All of this turned 1 in 50 light dents to about 1 in 125. Still too many for me, so I benched the gun. Now my son wants to use it, we did a full clean, new recoil spring after he was around 1 in 25 light dents. Not sure how the thing got worse sitting in my safe, but whatever. We had ducks all over us yesterday, and he was 1 in 6 light dents! Tried remington, federal, fiocchi and winchester ammo. No improvement.

Then I read something about a flaw in some barrels (on refuge forums maybe?, I was drunk). And that the shell literally can get pushed forward a fraction after much use which is the culprit. Now I can't find that dang thread and wonder if anyone else has heard of this? It seems like this lemon of a $1400 gun has something more serious going on since all the fixes haven't been working.

yes I wrote remington and, shocker, no info back. I assume they are not taking guns back in? It would be the 3rd time this sucker went back to the factory btw...back to the MP 153 I bought for $260 for my son, arg.

thanks for any help you can provide - it will be much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: versamax is light denting primers...again
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 am 
Field Grade

I know This doesn’t answer your question directly, but I thought this may be something you could try. Preferably on an old firing pin you had replaced.

On a different type of rifle I had a similar problem and this helped me.
There is probably a better way to do this too. Maybe have a local gunsmith have a look at it for you.

I placed the firing pin in a drill and with sandpaper took off the slightest amount of material off the face of the firing pin. Never had an issue again.

Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:00 pm 
Utility Grade

I've never heard of that before...will definitely give it a shot! thanks for the idea, makes sense

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Well in case there is someone else who wants to solve this issue in future, I thought I would post a follow-up. I learned some new info on the Rem click issue after talking with an awesome local gunsmith who experienced many lightly dented primers with his and several other folks' versas, like it did. For those who exclusively shoot mag waterfowl loads, like we do, he found that a peened cam pin (part #43 on the Rem diagram in the bolt) can be a cause that even Rem doesn't always catch. Which could be why I keep sending the gun in and new hammers and firing pins and replaced springs do diddly for the issue. My cam pin is mushed hard on 2 'sides'. Now I need to find that part in stock somewhere! Searching other forums I also found this interesting tidbit on Versas from a seemingly knowledgeable fella:

"YES!!! The cam pin is a very critical part!!! It is the main causes of clicks instead of bangs in the Remington system. I recommend replace the cam pin and at least the hammer with Benelli parts. Saves a whole bunch of heart burn both now and latter on!"

also found this which might be helpful for some folks as well:
I was having a light strike issue with mine [versamax] for a while. I replaced the hammer, firing pin spring, hammer spring and firing pin retaining pin with the M2 parts and have no issues since. I plan on doing the extractor and firing pin. The hammer spring I used was the wolff extra power hammer spring.

Makes me wonder why I've never heard of the extra power hammer spring to solve more primer light strikes? Seems like a good idea for us mag shooters!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Well perhaps some forward progress on my seemingly perpetual light primer denting, oft-benched versamax. I replaced the cam pin with a benelli model (purportedly 0.005" smaller than the remmy, but it is cylindrical and not mashed so looked like a gamer to me). Also replaced the firing pin with a 'long lasting hardened' version from Dawson Precision. Interestingly it was just a hair longer than the 3 warranty replacements that I have received from Remington. Also lubed the firing pin with graphite thanks to Ful and Fuller's recommendation. I did order the wolfe +25% hammer spring, but it's not here yet. Tonight we had 30+ mph winds, pouring rain, some sleet, and 34 degrees. Typically prime time for a non-primer denting primer written by the least reliable $1400 gun I own. But tonight was different! Thanks to horrendous shooting in a miserable crosswind on my least favorite shot (sailing overhead mallards in a heavy crosswind), I got to test the modified versamax much more than I would have hoped for. 18 shots and no light dents! I'll declare victory when we hit 3-4 years and a few thousand cold, wet rounds without light dents...but for now I examined every primer and I have to say they were smashed nearly as deep in crap conditions as my ole Biakal 153 ALWAYS used to, every time. Excited that we've turned a corner here. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for updating.
I hope some of those sailing mallards came home on the strap :)