ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TSK stock
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:00 pm 
Field Grade

Trying to find some information on the TSK stock. Trying to get some first hand information on how well it works for adjustability and recoil reduction. These are priced considerably higher than the PFS however they do look better. Just wondering if they’re worth the high price. Would be going on a new JE Beretta 687 trap combo. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: TSK stock
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I posted some advice here:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=518480

I do not have the recoil reduction stock. I do not think that it actually does a whole lot.

If your #1 priority is recoil reduction, you should look at the PFS or Stock lock type stock.

The ergosign, tsk, shoot off, grip plus, etc are much better to fiddle with, but do not offer as much recoil reduction than the PFS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:52 am 
Field Grade

My first requirement is a stock that fits. I could cut a 1/2” off of this stock and make it fit however I have arthritis in my neck and am trying to stay in the game so any recoil reduction would be a good thing. Currently loading 1 oz loads and now have a 7/8 oz bar and wads so I’m loading light but if I’m going to cut this stock then I might as well pot a Gracoil on it or look at going completely mechanical and saving my pretty wood. Once I cut this wood then there’s no going back. A TSK or PFS might be the better way to go but I’m not finding much information on TSK. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:25 pm 
Field Grade

loneranger wrote:
My first requirement is a stock that fits. I could cut a 1/2” off of this stock and make it fit however I have arthritis in my neck and am trying to stay in the game so any recoil reduction would be a good thing. Currently loading 1 oz loads and now have a 7/8 oz bar and wads so I’m loading light but if I’m going to cut this stock then I might as well pot a Gracoil on it or look at going completely mechanical and saving my pretty wood. Once I cut this wood then there’s no going back. A TSK or PFS might be the better way to go but I’m not finding much information on TSK. Thanks all.

Take a look a Cole's. They are a huge distributor of TSK stocks. I currently have my Beretta at the Naples store being fitted with a TSK Standard. The RR is the recoil reduction model. Give them a call. Here are a few informational videos to get you started.

https://tsk.colegun.com/product.html
https://www.shop.colegun.com/collections/tsk-stocks
https://youtu.be/bmCRrUzePQY
https://youtu.be/7rUm_kF0irM
https://youtu.be/YtWN5tTiDXY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks. I’ll look at these.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:59 am 
Presentation Grade

What would you be saving the wood for if it doesn’t fit you. Please don’t tell me resale? If all you need is recoil reduction, just cut the wood and install a good mechanism. It will do the job and will be a whole lot better looking than a mechanical replacement stock. If you need more adjustability you can get that with the recoil device, an adjustable pad or go to the mechanical stock. But I would stick with the wood.

If you can afford to experiment, you may just start with a high performance recoil pad like Limbsaver or Kick-Eze after cutting the stock to make room for it and to fit. You can come back with the Gra-coil device if the pad doesn’t work. The Gra-coil mechanism should need as much or more stock cutting as the plain recoil pad, so no chance of a screw up there.

Every modification to your wood stock you can imagine including adjustable butt plate with recoil reduction, adjustable comb, and stock bending for cast will still cost less than the mechanical stock and look a hell of a lot better.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:23 am 
Field Grade

That’s a good point that I’ve thought about many times. As far as resale I have to be the first to admit that I do lots of trading around to find something I like so that is a point. Also if I cut the stock and then loan this or give it to my kid then he doesn’t have the choice of shooting the original stock and it seems that these mechanical stocks do resale quite easily. It would be lots less to put a Gracoil on it and move on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:53 am 
Presentation Grade

loneranger wrote:
That’s a good point that I’ve thought about many times. As far as resale I have to be the first to admit that I do lots of trading around to find something I like so that is a point. Also if I cut the stock and then loan this or give it to my kid then he doesn’t have the choice of shooting the original stock and it seems that these mechanical stocks do resale quite easily. It would be lots less to put a Gracoil on it and move on.

If all you want is the Gra-coil, anyone who could use the original gun can still use it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:43 am 
Diamond Grade

The stock has no real feature for recoil reduction other than weight. Weight is so easily handled in umpteen other ways, that recoil reduction should not be any factor at all in choosing this stock.

As far as fitting goes, it does everything, but at a very steep cost, so it becomes an exercise in figuring out how much fitting you think you want and how much you are willing to pay. My guess is that there may be about 1 in 20,000 clay shooters who would choose this stock.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:35 am 
Field Grade

Here are my thoughts on the TSK. It has nearly infinite adjustments and is better looking than the PFS. A person can therefore get it so it is very comfortable and shoots where you want it. Then you could shoot it like that. Or you could use it as a pattern stock and have a nice looking blank made into your custom stock.

You can also buy a new grip and mount it to a different brand of gun if you want to change guns.

So for the $2200 I believe you get lots of possibilities. It is way less than going for a fitting and having a stock made. I did that several years ago when I was shooting skeet. Now I start the gun off my shoulder and my dimensions gave changed for shooting sporting. This would require doing all that again and paying way more for another new custom stock.
JMHO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Perhaps you might consider how YOU will change as you age and therefore need some minor adjustments or compromise your shooting position. Make it easy on yourself. Call Coles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:50 am 
Presentation Grade

For all the adjustability of the mechanical stocks I have trouble seeing how they accomplish true cast which can only be achieved by the butt stock being at an angle to the barrels. I know of no mechanical stock offering which allows the whole stock to bend or swivel just behind the grip. I wonder if an ideal approach for long term adjustability, full functionality and reasonable cost might be combining the mechanical stock with either a bent or custom grip to add true cast to the assembly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:10 am 
Crown Grade

In your usage, ‘true cast’ takes in a meaningless quality. The goal is getting enough movement. In today’s world, that’s the same as cast was before adjustability was invented.

In essence, you’re confusing offset and cast, as if they’re completely separate things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Auld, the TSK does have cast, as there is a spacer between the bridge and the grip that gives offset.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:01 am 
Presentation Grade

pintailwizard wrote:
Auld, the TSK does have cast, as there is a spacer between the bridge and the grip that gives offset.

How does the cast work? Does it just offset the butt plate to the side?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:08 pm 
Field Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
pintailwizard wrote:

How does the cast work? Does it just offset the butt plate to the side?

No, it bends the whole stock aft of the grip to the right.

It works like the plates inserted on Benelli and Beretta autos.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Woolly is right, plus you can also offset the butt plate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:39 pm 
Field Grade

I shot my first tournament today with the newly installed TSK Standard on my DT-11. What a difference! Love it.

I and yes, I have the pretty original stock still in tact. Just because I want to keep it that way.

I also got tired of begging these high brow stock fitters in my area for a few minutes of their time. TSK, problem solved. Another benefit of this stock is; now that winter is approaching and we are bundling up more, it takes about 10 seconds to shorten the LOP.