ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H&R 1915 Small Frame 28 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I just picked up two H&R 28 gauge small frame single shot shotguns. I think both are model 1915, the later is marked 1915 on the frame and the older is not. Otherwise there are small differences but essentially the same gun, and both are marked "28 Ga CHOKE" on the barrel which I understand means that the barrels are full choke. My question is the chamber on the newer one (serial number A130xxx, and A does not mean 1940 on the older guns). What are the chances it is 2-3/4" chamber and what is the best way to measure. When I picked it up yesterday, I asked the shop owner to stick a new 28 gauge shell in (out of courtesy, I would never load a gun in a shop) - it went in and he was able to close the breech. Here are a couple pics - it is definitely the later style as it has the longer/fatter forend (which is marked with the last three of the serial in the wood in the barrel channel)

Post subject: Re: H&R 1915 Small Frame 28 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

a new shell not opened will fit in an older smaller chamber.
the problem occurs when the shell is fired.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:53 pm 
Crown Grade

You can measure the chamber by slugging the barrel. Cram a rod of wax or clay in there then pull it and measure that.

If it's 2-1/2" or 2-5/8", Gamebore and maybe some other companies still load factory 2-1/2"

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 am 
Utility Grade

oldthompson wrote:
You can measure the chamber by slugging the barrel. Cram a rod of wax or clay in there then pull it and measure that.

If it's 2-1/2" or 2-5/8", Gamebore and maybe some other companies still load factory 2-1/2"

I bought 4 boxes of Gamebore/Kent from Midway in 2-1/2 #6 (which I understand is actually closer to American #7-1/2). Working on a remodeling project at the house so I have not been able to get out and shoot it. Have a skeet thrower and 4 boxes of pigeons to try and break when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:23 am 
Diamond Grade

There is an easy way to measure chamber length using a 3" x 5" index card, rolled lengthwise, and slid into the chamber. It will partially unroll and expand to the chamber diameter. Gently advance the card until it stops at the end of the chamber (where the forcing cone constriction starts), use a pencil to mark the card at the breech end of the barrel, and repeat the steps to see if it always comes to same spot. Then use a ruler to measure the length marked on the card.
The chamber must be clean, and it works best with a new 3” X 5” card.

Please let us know what you find.

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Drew Hause wrote:
There is an easy way to measure chamber length using a 3" x 5" index card, rolled lengthwise, and slid into the chamber. It will partially unroll and expand to the chamber diameter. Gently advance the card until it stops at the end of the chamber (where the forcing cone constriction starts), use a pencil to mark the card at the breech end of the barrel, and repeat the steps to see if it always comes to same spot. Then use a ruler to measure the length marked on the card.
The chamber must be clean, and it works best with a new 3” X 5” card.

Please let us know what you find.

I am nearly 100% sure this is a 2-1/2" gun. In the span of two weeks, I found two of these. One is older - has the early features (skinny handguard, lever has a screw in it, no groove in the middle of the top of the receiver). The other is pictured. Measuring with a pocket scale and a light - both come out to 2-1/2".