ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need more cast for A400
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:32 am 
Field Grade

I’ve got the maximum cast off DX shim factory supplied but need a little more cast. The manual implies to use only one shim. In my SX3, I’ve stacked several together that gives me a perfect fit. Wondering if anyone has done that something similar to their A400? Or is there a way to get more cast off on the gun? Thanks ....

Post subject: Re: Need more cast for A400
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:20 pm 
Limited Edition

If there's a problem with using two shims I think it would become apparent pretty quickly. I doubt there would be a functional issue, but there might be a problem getting everything to fit up right again.

If you really mean cast off (moving the comb away from your face) that's a tough one without modifications to the stock. A guy I shoot with from time to time has a comb wrap (I think it's called "wrapidcomb") that adjusts cast on and comb height pretty effectively.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you double shim Up front (Or sand the narrow side down) you need to enlarge the hole in the steel back shim So that the stock seats correctly, otherwise you may end up with a cracked or twisted stock in the wrist. Don’t over tighten the bolt.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Win50 wrote:
If there's a problem with using two shims I think it would become apparent pretty quickly. I doubt there would be a functional issue, but there might be a problem getting everything to fit up right again.

If you really mean cast off (moving the comb away from your face) that's a tough one without modifications to the stock. A guy I shoot with from time to time has a comb wrap (I think it's called "wrapidcomb") that adjusts cast on and comb height pretty effectively.

Cast off is not moving the comb away from your face. That is offset. Cast off is bending the whole butt stock to the right to bring the barrel(s) under your eye while they are pointing forward. You still have to snug the stock up to your face.

Possible problems with trying to use more cast shims than suggested by the manufacturer is that the bolt may either not be long enough to fasten everything up or may bump into the inner side wall of the stock due to the more extreme bend angle. I like to think these wouldn’t actually happen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
Win50 wrote:

Cast off is not moving the comb away from your face. That is offset. Cast off is bending the whole butt stock to the right to bring the barrel(s) under your eye while they are pointing forward. You still have to snug the stock up to your face.

Possible problems with trying to use more cast shims than suggested by the manufacturer is that the bolt may either not be long enough to fasten everything up or may bump into the inner side wall of the stock due to the more extreme bend angle. I like to think these wouldn’t actually happen.

Careful there, going to tip your hand;-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:47 pm 
Field Grade

The biggest concern I have about doing anything to it outside of what the manual “suggests” is it having that Kick Off system. Just not your typical way of adjusting for fit. Don’t want to do anything to mess it up, it’s not that bad and only needs a little more to get my eye lined up. I’ll look at the thickness of the shim that’s in there and see if it could stand a little sanding but feel it was pretty slim to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

up4ducks wrote:
I’ve got the maximum cast off DX shim factory supplied but need a little more cast. The manual implies to use only one shim. In my SX3, I’ve stacked several together that gives me a perfect fit. Wondering if anyone has done that something similar to their A400? Or is there a way to get more cast off on the gun? Thanks ....

Have the stock bent!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

You can’t Bend a stock on a beretta semiauto.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Put an adjustable comb on it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Put an adjustable comb on it?

Well there you go!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Tronspace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:39 am 
Field Grade

Yeah, can’t do much with a synthetic stock. I’ll give them a call to see how much more cast their shim will provide. Thanks for all the replies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:44 am 
Crown Grade

up4ducks wrote:
Yeah, can’t do much with a synthetic stock. I’ll give them a call to see how much more cast their shim will provide. Thanks for all the replies.

Missed the part in your first post about it being a synthetic model.