ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shotgun bead misalignment issue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:33 pm 
Utility Grade

[img]https://i.imgur.com/hmQbnLg.jpg/img]

See attempted posted pic above.

Remington V3, front and center bead only aligned when at 2/3 rd right side top of flat top rib. I think beads should be centered on flat top rib, not 2/3rds to right side. What's wrong with this sight picture? How do I correct?

Last edited by Curly N on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: shotgun bead misalignment issue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Take the center bead off. You don't need it anyway. Close hole with an appropriate setscrew.

Oh. Welcome to SGW! {hs#

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:31 am 
Diamond Grade

I have noticed on my various guns mis-aligned center bead is very common. I just remove them, got lots of guns with the center bead removed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Who needs beads? You are supposed to have your eyes on the target. Lots of luck complaining to Remington

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:44 am 
Utility Grade

The middle bead on my V3 is also to the left of the front bead. When I first got it, I worried about that a lot.

Then I started to shoot it. I am an informal, cow pasture clays shooter who does it for fun, and I also came to this hobby late in life - 3 years ago - and I am 40. I say that to say I had to learn "proper" shotgun technique. By that I mean pointing and not aiming, as well as keeping both eyes open. I am still not perfect at that, but when I do it right (which so more often than not now) the clay breaks and I never see the beads. I think I could do without both of them, but I have left them on. Realizing the rib helps me more than the bead has made this a non issue for me over the thousand or so rounds I have put through my V3 since this past August. I love it and shoot it better than my 870's now.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks much for the tips, advice, comments. I took a closer look and discovered the front bead is off center to right. As I recall, full choke 25 yard patterns are centered around 2.5" left of point of aim when ignoring center bead and centering front bead on flat top rib. And, as I recall patterns are centered on point of aim when both beads are aligned (off center right side of flat top rib).

So, without altering gun, I reckon maybe the beads have a use for tight patterning choke/load on a turkey head or the like. Otherwise, I'll try to use advise of other posters as noted above, to just look at the target, with both eyes, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

If the existing beads are not too far off, perhaps the screw holes could be enlarged in a way to center them on the rib. Or at least get them close enough to center to not matter. That would be cheaper I think than filling and recutting the holes although that might not be wrong either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:23 pm 
Limited Edition

File it flat and forget it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Sights are for aiming. You don't aim a shotgun. Take them off.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

I find beads useful. I don't stare at them but they help me know where my shotgun is pointing. The two beads are useful in pre-mounted clay games like American Skeet or Trap to ensure a proper and consistent mount. What I would do is take the gun to a gunsmith and have them drill centered hole for the bead just behind the misaligned one. Either that or take them off. I wouldn't leave it as it is. It would just bug the heck out of me. If the mid-bead was off, that's a no brainer, take it off, but a misaligned front bead I would fix.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I never look at beads or even the sight or what is on the end of the barrel. My eyes are locked on the target

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:55 am 
Diamond Grade

You're sorta implying that you can't have your eyes locked on the target and still see your bead in the periphery of your vision. My focus is on the target and yet I see the bead as well. When you focus on a far object are your eyes incapable is seeing anything near? I can focus on a far object and point my finger at it and actually see my finger. It won't be in focus, but I see it. My eyes must be very unique.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:14 am 
Diamond Grade

There is a reason people don't shoot shotguns from the hip. Shooting from the hip is harder to do and less accurate because, with your eyes on the target, your gun down at hip level the gun is further from your center vision, and it is harder for your brain to know where it is pointed. This is because the only place your eye has precision vision is at the center of focus and this is due to the fact that your eye has a dense level of cones at the center of vision and the density level of cones is where your precision comes from. You may not be aware of it, but you actually do use the rib/sight/bead or at least something that is up there in your center vision whenever the gun is lined up with your eye focused on the target with all that stuff, target, rib/sight all right near center focus of your eye where precision is most.

If you are truly not aware of gun/sight/rib when shooting then you could shoot just as well from the hip as with it mounted on the shoulder lined up with center vision, but you can't.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:25 am 
Diamond Grade

Some of the best and most expensive target shotguns have adjustable ribs. By raising or lowering the front of the rib/bead one can adjust their POI from 50/50 to 90/10. If one truly isn't aware of where their bead/rib is located because they are "focusing on the target" then none of that would matter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 am 
Limited Edition

4x35 wrote:
Thanks much for the tips, advice, comments. I took a closer look and discovered the front bead is off center to right. As I recall, full choke 25 yard patterns are centered around 2.5" left of point of aim when ignoring center bead and centering front bead on flat top rib. And, as I recall patterns are centered on point of aim when both beads are aligned (off center right side of flat top rib).

So, without altering gun, I reckon maybe the beads have a use for tight patterning choke/load on a turkey head or the like. Otherwise, I'll try to use advise of other posters as noted above, to just look at the target, with both eyes, etc.

2.5 inches at 25yds is par for a shotgun. If the front bead is offset right and the mid bead is offset left, lining them up probably moves your POI well more than 2.5 inches.

As the thread indicates, beads and ribs are of more value to some shooters than others. Personally I find beads more of a distraction so I generally remove them or smudge them with some stove black to make them less noticeable, but I like being able to look down the rib. If you don't like the idea of removing them, try blacking them out for a couple trips and see what happens.

As a side note, I had a O/U that had the release lever riding to the right. It actually drove me crazy every time I shouldered the gun - ended up selling it. Different people see and perceive these things differently.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Win50 wrote:
As a side note, I had a O/U that had the release lever riding to the right. It actually drove me crazy every time I shouldered the gun - ended up selling it. Different people see and perceive these things differently.

You are correct. Most would see that release lever riding to the right and smile knowing that it isn't worn out and has many years of shooting to wear it in. When that lever is centered or, worse, a little to the left it typically means that it's close to needing to be restored/rebuilt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:42 am 
Crown Grade

4x35 wrote:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/hmQbnLg.jpg/img]

See attempted posted pic above.

Remington V3, front and center bead only aligned when at 2/3 rd right side top of flat top rib. I think beads should be centered on flat top rib, not 2/3rds to right side. What's wrong with this sight picture? How do I correct?

Don't know. Have a gun or 2 that have off center beads. I used to fret over this but I'm long past losing sleep over it. Obvious solutions are:
(1) Return to Remington or repair center for repair
(2) Have a gunsmith fix
(3) Remove middle bead
(4) Remove both beads
(5) Don't worry, be happy