ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bird shot in rifled barrel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:42 am 
Field Grade

A buddy asked me if you can shoot a pheasant load thru a rifled slug barrel? There's roosters around his deer hunting property. I told him I have no idea, but that I'd ask the experts on shotgun world.

Post subject: Re: Bird shot in rifled barrel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:53 am 
Diamond Grade

= donut shaped pattern.

The centrifugal force of the rifling on the wad causes the shot to spin. At best, as it opens up, the pattern is donut shaped, with a hole in the middle. Or, it's just a patchy mess.

At distances of 10 yards and under, it may not matter. I doubt that at the ranges typical to pheasant hunting, such patterns would be effective. Old fashioned loads with over powder cards and fiber wads may work better as the rifling may have less imoact. But such loads also open up much faster than modern loads with shot cups. So, again, may not be suited for pheasant.

Good excuse to buy a Savage 24 or a drilling!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:44 am 
Limited Edition

Riley,

What kind of slug barrel is your friend using? Some are smooth bore that are called rifled slug barrels, some have rifled choke tubes, or is it fully rifled? It would make a difference as to how shot would perform.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:00 am 
Field Grade

It's a savage 220 slug gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:04 am 
Crown Grade

I have heard of rifled smooth bores designed for shooting grouse and woodcock at close range which have shallow twisting grooves designed to spin the wad some and make the shot spread faster. From what I read such guns loose the center of their pattern and "donut" just as RRNY says. Great for grouse and bunnies that get stepped on before they flush but ineffective at more than 25 yards or so. . They were not rifled at the same twist as a slug gun might be. Maybe one twist in five or six feet of barrel instead of only two feet.

The simple answer to your question is to pattern the gun with the shells you intend to hunt with. It's really reckless to hunt with a gun that had not been patterned IMO, and you won't hurt anything pushing shot through riflling. But, over time you will probably have lead accumulation in the grooves of the riflling. I suspect that a shell with the wad's shot cup full length of the shot column would be better than one where the shot is above the shells wad petals, the pattern board will tell all.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:08 am 
Tournament Grade

It wouldn’t hurt the gun but the pattern would likely be mediocre. Shoot the intended load at a pattern board and see what you get. That’s the only sure way to know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Life of Riley wrote:
It's a savage 220 slug gun

Ok, that's a button rifled barrel.

Look for wide patterns with an enlarging hole in its center as range increases. Not something I'd recommend for wild birds in South Dakota. Might work with pen raised birds on a game farm. The bolt action will be very slow on follow up shots when hunting upland.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Life of Riley wrote:
A buddy asked me if you can shoot a pheasant load thru a rifled slug barrel? There's roosters around his deer hunting property. I told him I have no idea, but that I'd ask the experts on shotgun world.

Yes, you can....but when considering the luck involved from such a narrow sweet spot for success, the practice should not happen.

Basically, the pheasant deserves a higher valuation than a pop can in a ditch.....tell your buddy to buy a hunk of bologna and a wedge of cheese if he is hungry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Life of Riley wrote:

Yes, you can.

It also will not harm, break, destroy, damage, or ruin anything (as far as the shotgun goes).
The gun will survive unscathed.

The pattern at any decent distance may well stink to high heaven.......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:29 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Life of Riley wrote:

Well, is he going to take the scope off when he does it? :shock:

The pheasant will be pretty safe: the cheap poly one-piece shotcup in standard shotshells will be destroyed after the first couple of inches of rifling. The base wad will spin, it will insta-leak, and you will have a mess. Better yet, you won't . . . but your buddy will.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:42 pm 
Crown Grade

A roasted chicken is $7.97 at Walmart. Don't try and ground plug a pheasant with a slug gun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:40 pm 
Limited Edition

The shotgun expert on the Sports Afield show did a quick test with shooting buckshot in a rifled slug barrel. He shot at a deer silhouette target with 00 buck at 15 yds. Not one of the buckshot hit the deer at that range. That is one big hole in the middle of your pattern.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sprinkle black pepper on a dinner plate and then spin it. Notice how it all moves away from the center leaving a big donut hole in the middle? That is exactly what centipedal force does to bird shot fired through a rifled barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Never know until you check it from your gun with your ammo. As many have already said. The pepper on a plate analogy is goofy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

I recall reading about a Holland and Holland gun called the Paradox. If I recall clearly, it essentially had a smoothbore shotgun barrel, but was rifled for the last few inches. It was an attempt at being a one-gun solution for big game hunters looking to also shoot birds. I think it was looked at as being successful, though I suspect it had to be less than ideal for either use.

Of course, I expect a few inches of rifling would be quite different than an entire barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jfon wrote:

Of course, I expect a few inches of rifling would be quite different than an entire barrel.

That is food for thought. They make rifled screw in chokes for slugs. I wonder how they compare to a dedicated rifled barrel.