ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5 Pound Guns
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi all,
I'm thinking about getting a dedicated lightweight upland gun, preferably O/U or SxS but I'm open to any action type. I was wondering what's out there in the 5 to 5.25 lb range? So far I've seen the Franchi Instinct SL in 28 gauge is supposedly 5.2 lbs. That's about the lightest I've seen so far.

My upland hunting is mostly grouse and woodcock in steep, mountainous terrain. I currently have three 16 gauge guns, the lightest being 5.8 lbs and heaviest is 6.5 lbs. I have a bad back so weight makes a huge difference carrying all day. I would love to find something closer to 5 lbs. that isn't ridiculous money.

Post subject: Re: 5 Pound Guns
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Doublebass73,

Not exactly sure of the listed weight, however I own a 555 Stevens/Savage 28 gauge O/U that is very light. Mine is just under 5.0 Lbs and gets the job done. Mine has no doubling problem, some of the early guns did.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I used to hunt grouse and rabbits with a 20 gauge Franchi 48AL which weighed 5.2 pounds. It was lighter and easier to carry and handle in close spaces than an old 20 gauge pump that weighed 6.1 pounds which I had used for many years.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Benelli Legacy 28 ga weighs in at under.5 lbs if you can find one. I think it’s the same gun as the lightweight but with ornamentation. Mine is a delightful upland gun for all but wild pheasants

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Doublebass73,

Not exactly sure of the listed weight, however I own a 555 Stevens/Savage 28 gauge O/U that is very light. Mine is just under 5.0 Lbs and gets the job done. Mine has no doubling problem, some of the early guns did.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Thanks, that's good to know. The listed weight is 5.5 lbs so I didn't really consider it especially since most manufacturers list their weights higher than reality. A friend's wife has that same gun and uses it for waterfowl, she likes it. I might have to go look at one now.

Last edited by Doublebass73 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:11 pm 
Utility Grade

A 28 or 20 semi like the Benelli or Franchi in that weight range would be really nice. Recoil must be really mild.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
The Benelli Legacy 28 ga weighs in at under.5 lbs if you can find one. I think it’s the same gun as the lightweight but with ornamentation. Mine is a delightful upland gun for all but wild pheasants
I have one as well. Wildly underrated gun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:25 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:

After seeing how badly a Benelli Legacy 28 gauge performed on a pheasant hunt last year, I wouldn't recommend it for pheasants. I think it would be a good grouse and woodcock gun. I'd use something bigger for pheasants. It was a very beautiful gun, however. It just wasn't a pheasant gun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s fine for pen raised birds but you need more gun for wild ones, at least here in Kansas

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:38 am 
Limited Edition

See if you can find any of the Browning Upland Specials or Superlights. I have them in all 4 gauges and love them all, EXCEPT the 12 gauge.... Also look at the Remington Special Field in 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:19 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a Rizzini 28 Omnium that comes in at 5lb. Cabela's has a few in their gun library. Check Gunbroker as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Does anyone have an actual weight for a CZ Bobwhite in 28 gauge ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:03 am 
Limited Edition

Doublebass73 wrote:
Does anyone have an actual weight for a CZ Bobwhite in 28 gauge ?

The G2 is 5.38#.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:39 am 
Crown Grade

Tristar has a 28 GA SXS at 5.24 pounds ($1,100) and a 28 GA SA at 5.2 pounds ($740). I don't own either but have good reports on the brand name. They are popular with hunters here in Utah. My neighbors son lives and hunts quail in southern Utah with the 28 GA SA and absolutely loves it.

Retired

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:39 am 
Presentation Grade

A friend has a 28 gauge I. Rizzini Iside with 28" barrels, steel frame. It weighs 4 lbs 15 oz. He had a good year on grouse/woodcock with it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:45 am 
Crown Grade

Halwg wrote:
casonet wrote:

After seeing how badly a Benelli Legacy 28 gauge performed on a pheasant hunt last year, I wouldn't recommend it for pheasants. I think it would be a good grouse and woodcock gun. I'd use something bigger for pheasants. It was a very beautiful gun, however. It just wasn't a pheasant gun.
I would agree that it is not a good gun for wide ranging/flushing wild pheasants. I owned one for 3 years and it killed lots of farm pheasants just fine. I even killed mallards with it over decoys. It would work very well on the OPs grouse & woodcock.

:D

Retired

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:57 pm 
Utility Grade

There's more options than I realized, I appreciate everyone's responses.