ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's true. I hate my Remington 870 Express.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I have several shotguns, and just bought a new CZ 712 - which I may regret, and also a Girsan MC312. I also have a 1910s Stevens 107 20 Ga that's lasted our family 5 generations of hunting, a Mossberg 590A1, a Mossberg 940 JM Pro (love this gun - works flawlessly), and last but not least, a Remington 870 Express - bought in December 2016 during Obummer's last weeks in office.

Got the 870 at Bass Pro on sale with a $50 rebate. Yeah, for $250 what can I expect?

Well...

Got the gun home and out of the plastic and there was rust everywhere. Huh? No oil from factory? Yeah, rust on a brand new gun. :roll:

Fit and finish? Well... likely a Monday or Friday gun. Fit and finish was atrocious. Spots missing stain and finish on the wood, looked in spots like it had already been carried for years. Recoil / butt pad more like a used tire. Looked like a 3-year old slapped it together.

Did it go bang? Yes. Without issue. But I hate the reach-around slide release/rack (pun intended). I prefer giving my 590A1 the middle finger to rack it - and besides - it's ... so... well... made. Thanks, Mossberg. And who got wise to making 870 barrels? Mossberg did. {RO

Out Upland hunting last Friday with the 870. Yeah, whatever. Wanted a POS that I didn't care if it got banged around climbing over rocks and through the brush searching out quail.

Threw it in the rifle case in the back of the Jeep after the hunt. Take it out Monday. COVERED in rust. Two days. No direct moisture, rifle case was dry. :roll:

My son's 20 GA O/U Turkish Pointer? No problem.

I have two safes full of toys and I have to say that this is my least favorite of all. I just hate it. So cheap I don't want to sell it. So cheap I don't want to keep it. -a conundrum wrapped in a quagmire.

Just venting about the gun I hate most of all. If there was ever a POS, this is it.

Thanks for entertaining my 870 hostility here.

Post subject: Re: It's true. I hate my Remington 870 Express.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:59 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

You seem to have an affinity for junky guns. Of the firearms mentioned, the 870 is like a Krieghoff by comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hehe have to agree with Tron.

But yes remingtons express finish is awful for rust.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Tron wrote:
You seem to have an affinity for junky guns. Of the firearms mentioned, the 870 is like a Krieghoff by comparison.

Mossberg 590A1 and 940 junky? Hardly. 590A1 was the USMC shotgun for decades. The Stevens is a family heirloom and we use it often. 106 years old and still going.

Why buy a Benelli for a 13-year old when he's learning clays and upland?

CZ you may be correct. It was on sale and grabbed it - as noted I may regret it. Saw the bad reviews after. Have not gotten it out yet. MC312 has great reviews for a $350 inertia gun.

But oh you're probably super cool with your $6000 shotgun. Can we be friends?

Guess you'd call my Barrett M99 in .416 junky too. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:21 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

LogosArms wrote:
Tron wrote:

Mossberg 590A1 and 940 junky? Hardly. 590A1 was the USMC shotgun for decades. The Stevens is a family heirloom and we use it often. 106 years old and still going.

Why buy a Benelli for a 13-year old when he's learning clays and upland?

CZ you may be correct. It was on sale and grabbed it - as noted I may regret it. Saw the bad reviews after. Have not gotten it out yet. MC312 has great reviews for a $350 inertia gun.

But oh you're probably super cool with your $6000 shotgun. Can we be friends?

Guess you'd call my Barrett M99 in .416 junky too. :roll:

Well, the cheapest gun that I shoot is about 7k, but I suppose we can still be friends....I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Tron wrote:

Well, the cheapest gun that I shoot is about 7k, but I suppose we can still be friends....I guess.

Awesome! I can't wait. I love hanging out with wealthy braggarts. I know I'll be cooler just by standing near you.

Considering I just started shooting clays 3-4 months ago, is your recommendation to everyone to spend a month or two's salary right off during hard times? Will I be as cool as you then?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Absolutely zero rust problems with my 870 Express. It was in pristine shape when it arrived after winning it in an auction on Gunbroker for 250. Has after market camo stocks and a sling. No evidence of rust before I got it either. Got it as a back up gun but shoot it well enough to where it competes with my SAs for time at the range and dove field. I realized what I was getting, so to be on the safe side, I give it a very thin coat of RIG grease on the exterior metal each time I clean it. Not a speck of rust in three years. Performance wise, couldn’t be more pleased.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:44 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Well, let's not put the cart in front of the mule. First off, I highly doubt you'll ever be as cool as me and as long as my well heeled friends aren't looking, I would have no problem with you standing in my immediate vicinity, briefly.

Do you like Grey Poupon? It's something us rich guys like on our sandwiches.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Tron wrote:
Well, let's not put the cart in front of the mule. First off, I highly doubt you'll ever be as cool as me and as long as my well heeled friends aren't looking, I would have no problem with you standing in my immediate vicinity, briefly.

Do you like Grey Poupon? It's something us rich guys like on our sandwiches.

Gosh, well thanks for letting me stand by you, briefly. I'm more of a hand gun guy (instructor), and moving into 3 gun (940 JM Pro is edging out the Benelli M2 in this area), and just recently got into clays to get better for quail season. Do you hunt? Or are you one of those "guys" who just shoots clays at the 16 and gets your food from a wrapper? I like all sorts of good mustard, but bread? I'll leave the heart attacks and inflammatory diseases to you. I figure I can get myself a good $7000 shotgun cheaper that way when you grab your chest at the range.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Absolutely zero rust problems with my 870 Express. It was in pristine shape when it arrived after winning it in an auction on Gunbroker for 250. Has after market camo stocks and a sling. No evidence of rust before I got it either. Got it as a back up gun but shoot it well enough to where it competes with my SAs for time at the range and dove field. I realized what I was getting, so to be on the safe side, I give it a very thin coat of RIG grease on the exterior metal each time I clean it. Not a speck of rust in three years. Performance wise, couldn’t be more pleased.

I got it as a backup gun, too. I didn't think it would be "this" bad when I got it. I may get some camo stocks and sling, too, if I don't sell it. Thanks for the tip on the grease.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Entertaining reading! Sorry to hear about the Remington problems. The express I owned was made in 2001 or 2002 & had no problems but I’ve heard that some would rust just from looking at them too long. I’d have no problem selling a gun that I hated. I always provide full disclosure if there are defects and even with your gun’s cosmetic challenges I’m sure you could get your investment back. Maybe more. If it works otherwise maybe it could be refinished if you feel that strongly about not dumping it on someone.
Good luck with it whatever you do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

You buy a cheap finish on a gun you get what you get. I inherited a supposedly "better" SX4 in black plastic. Rusts as quickly as your Express. Crappy finishes are crappy. It's going to go down the road. Life's too short to mess with it.

If you don't like the Express get rid of it and buy something else. Ain't no one says you are stuck with it for life. Unless you just like having something to complain about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:49 pm 
Crown Grade

LogosArms wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

I got it as a backup gun, too. I didn't think it would be "this" bad when I got it. I may get some camo stocks and sling, too, if I don't sell it. Thanks for the tip on the grease.

Yeah, give it a try before you sell it. I`d scrub it down to remove any surface rust, then just rub some RIG ( stands for Rust Inhibitory Grease ) grease on all the exterior metal surfaces. Just my experience, but the gun`s done everything I`ve asked of it and done it well.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

Consider the Nova. fantastic gun for all manner of uses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:57 pm 
Utility Grade

EricB wrote:
Entertaining reading! Sorry to hear about the Remington problems. The express I owned was made in 2001 or 2002 & had no problems but I’ve heard that some would rust just from looking at them too long. I’d have no problem selling a gun that I hated. I always provide full disclosure if there are defects and even with your gun’s cosmetic challenges I’m sure you could get your investment back. Maybe more. If it works otherwise maybe it could be refinished if you feel that strongly about not dumping it on someone.

Thankfully I caught the rust on both accounts before any pitting started. But yeah, the thing is a Rust-O-Matic. And full disclosure is a definite. If I switch to polymer camo stock and foregrip at least the awful wood and "recoil pad" would be gone. It would also be about 9-10oz lighter for upland hunts. But is it worth selling a $250 gun, or keeping it?

It has two barrels, too. 28" and a Carlson 18.5" - both threaded for chokes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

First, ALWAYS look in the box when buying a new gun to make sure it's in good condition. That was your failure. An example with rust should have been rejected at the store. Now that you have it and don't want to keep fighting the rust, maybe think about having it refinished in Cerakote or some other finish in some cool color. I have an 870 but opted for the Wingmaster model in order to have it better finished. Second, why would anyone leave a gun that they know to have a rust issue in a gun case?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:

Yeah, give it a try before you sell it. I`d scrub it down to remove any surface rust, then just rub some RIG ( stands for Rust Inhibitory Grease ) grease on all the exterior metal surfaces. Just my experience, but the gun`s done everything I`ve asked of it and done it well.

Thank you. I'll do that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

No excuse for not inspecting it in the store.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

LogosArms wrote:
EricB wrote:

Thankfully I caught the rust on both accounts before any pitting started. But yeah, the thing is a Rust-O-Matic. And full disclosure is a definite. If I switch to polymer camo stock and foregrip at least the awful wood and "recoil pad" would be gone. It would also be about 9-10oz lighter for upland hunts. But is it worth selling a $250 gun, or keeping it?

It has two barrels, too. 28" and a Carlson 18.5" - both threaded for chokes.

I think so. An express with 2 barrels even with an ugly face is probably worth $350 (not making an offer, I’m downsizing my accumulation to buy other stuff).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:13 pm 
Utility Grade

twohigh wrote:
First, ALWAYS look in the box when buying a new gun to make sure it's in good condition. That was your failure. An example with rust should have been rejected at the store. Now that you have it and don't want to keep fighting the rust, maybe think about having it refinished in Cerakote or some other finish in some cool color. I have an 870 but opted for the Wingmaster model in order to have it better finished. Second, why would anyone leave a gun that they know to have a rust issue in a gun case?

It was wrapped in plastic at the store. I looked it over at the store and it appeared fine until I got it home. Also, it was during Christmas and at Bass Pro that was a nearly 4 hour wait to pick it up (first and last gun I'll ever buy there). My son was 9 at the time and we'd been standing there all afternoon - him whining and miserable. Just wanted out of there. And let's not forget those were Obama gun-rush days.

As for #2, we're in commiefornia, and we go out upland game hunting at least 2-3 times a week. Can't leave it just sitting there in the back uncovered. Commie neighbors abound, too. Had forgotten the rust issue since the store episode in Dec. 2016.

Cerekote would probably cost $200-300+. -More than the gun is worth. Maybe some camo spray paint. :D