ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's true. I hate my Remington 870 Express.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

LogosArms,
This is a good site, it does have some trolls though. You’ll know them when you see them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:30 pm 
Crown Grade

EricB wrote:
Entertaining reading! Sorry to hear about the Remington problems. The express I owned was made in 2001 or 2002 & had no problems but I’ve heard that some would rust just from looking at them too long. I’d have no problem selling a gun that I hated. I always provide full disclosure if there are defects and even with your gun’s cosmetic challenges I’m sure you could get your investment back. Maybe more. If it works otherwise maybe it could be refinished if you feel that strongly about not dumping it on someone.
Good luck with it whatever you do.

Mine is a 2015 vintage. I knew I was perhaps taking a chance, essentially buying it sight unseen through Gunbroker, but I have to say that the pictures were excellent with the closeups very clear. At that price, I thought it was worth taking the shot. It`s been more than worth it. I`ve never had rusting problems or function issues with any of my guns, but then again I don`t finish any shooting or hunting trip without at least a very basic cleaning and lube.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:43 pm 
Crown Grade

EricB wrote:
LogosArms,
This is a good site, it does have some trolls though. You’ll know them when you see them.

When he looks in the mirror?:-)

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............plop! The distinct sound of a bait caster at work;-)

OP, sell it, give it away, throw it in a lake, but SUAS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can't confirm from personal experience, but I've read (maybe on this site) that the rust problems with the Express shotguns is due to residual "salts" from the parkerizing process. I've read that oil doesn't neutralize these chemicals. The suggestion I've read is to scrub the metal parts with hot water. In other words, treat it like a muzzleloader the first time you clean it. Might be worth a try.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
I can't confirm from personal experience, but I've read (maybe on this site) that the rust problems with the Express shotguns is due to residual "salts" from the parkerizing process. I've read that oil doesn't neutralize these chemicals. The suggestion I've read is to scrub the metal parts with hot water. In other words, treat it like a muzzleloader the first time you clean it. Might be worth a try.

Good grief. Thanks. Maybe next time I clean my 1847 Colt Walker I'll drop my 870 in with it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I always look at guns before I buy them, so that is on you. Expresses do rust easily if you don't know how to take care of them. Birchwood Casey makes a product called Barricade. I believe it was formerly called Sheath. It is a rust preventative that leaves a coating on the metal. I would say try it. However, as much as you hate the gun, you should sell it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
EricB wrote:
LogosArms,

When he looks in the mirror?:-)

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............plop! The distinct sound of a bait caster at work;-)

OP, sell it, give it away, throw it in a lake, but SUAS!

{hs#

In my experience, black oxide, matte finish metals are all more prone to rust than a proper rust blue or any number of other finishes. The reason I believe, is that the rough finish provides much more of a surface for rust to form on than a polished one. If it is parkarized then what Bladeswitcher recommends may be more useful than my suggestion.

I have a V3 barrel with the black oxide finish but it has never rusted at all, because I always try to keep the exterior of the barrel wiped down after shooting with an oil filled rag. Now that I have had it for awhile it seems to have zero tendency to rust even if I get lazy and don't wipe it down after use.

I believe that once you have the matte finish lightly oiled or coated with some RIG as Tidefanatic recommends, I think you will find that it will not be nearly as prone to rusting.

The matte finish seems to absorb the oil preventative you apply, and it stands up really well after that. My B-I-L had a Remington Model 700 with that finish that rusted easily on him. I got it cleaned up and told him to keep the metal thoroughly oiled on the exterior and the finish would absorb the oil and not cause anymore issues.

He did and the problem disappeared. Anyway that is my experience with a few guns and that cheaper matte finish. I also use gloves whenever using a gun which may help somewhat.

Having said all that, it sounds like you are definitely soured on the gun so I agree with Rooster Booster; SELL it and move on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Going bang is nice.....often, going bang is undervalued in a scattergun.

I might consider looking for a mid-50s Model 870 and leave the Express and the Mossbugs in the jeep....the slick shuck of those 870s make either of the others 2nd stringers.
Then again a syrupy Model 37 may be even better....or.....options apart from an Express are numerous enough to make dissatisfaction little more than a......preference.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:

That was the problem with some of the express models. Hot water and Dawn dish soap wash, good quick dry and some oil was the fix.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Many years ago I bought an 870 express turkey gun. First thing I did was spray paint all the exposed metal dark green(rattle can), It hasn't rusted ever! It good with buckshot and turkey loads. It's a keeper. Mossbergs have always felt like a 2x4 in my hands. The Ben-Nova is the most plastic butt ugly shotgun ever made. When I get serious on pumps I shoot my mdl. 12's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Some good ideas to try here IF the OP wants to keep the gun, particularly as a backup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Many years ago I bought an 870 express turkey gun. First thing I did was spray paint all the exposed metal dark green(rattle can), It hasn't rusted ever! It good with buckshot and turkey loads. It's a keeper. Mossbergs have always felt like a 2x4 in my hands. The Ben-Nova is the most plastic butt ugly shotgun ever made. When I get serious on pumps I shoot my mdl. 12's.

Have you ever seen a Benelli Vinci? It’s the Nova’s ugly step-sister.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:

I think the REM 887 took ownership of the most plastic butt ugly shotgun ever made title, and carried it to the grave to keep forever.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well known that for a while Remington did not employ an adequate post bluing rinse which led to rust issues. A good bath with warm soapy water would cure it. Oil - no oil, not even RIG Extra Expensive - is a solvent for bluing salts. The rough finish exacerbated the problem. I cured several.
Your attempted cute reference to the slide release actuation/location is only a problem for people who buy a gun and then decide they don't like something.
A coat of flat black paint after the good bath works well, and is easily removed if you want to sell the gun later. Found that out after the first salt marsh hunt. Got home about 3 hours after the hunt and when my buddy and I pulled our guns - my Browning BPS and his 1100 Special Purpose - they were both absolutely orange. Wiped right off but it was a hell of a shock at first.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:49 am 
Crown Grade

Virginian wrote:
Well known that for a while Remington did not employ an adequate post bluing rinse which led to rust issues. A good bath with warm soapy water would cure it. Oil - no oil, not even RIG Extra Expensive - is a solvent for bluing salts. The rough finish exacerbated the problem. I cured several.
Your attempted cute reference to the slide release actuation/location is only a problem for people who buy a gun and then decide they don't like something.
A coat of flat black paint after the good bath works well, and is easily removed if you want to sell the gun later. Found that out after the first salt marsh hunt. Got home about 3 hours after the hunt and when my buddy and I pulled our guns - my Browning BPS and his 1100 Special Purpose - they were both absolutely orange. Wiped right off but it was a hell of a shock at first.

If Virginian says so, you can bank it when it comes to anything Remington. Wonder if there was a set period of time when this issue was occurring, and if so, when was it? Beginning to think I lucked out and my 870 wasn`t from a run that had the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Remington 870 is 70 years old. The first ones were made in 1950, and virtually every part on a 70 year old 870 Remington will interchange with one made today.

Remington still makes the 870 Wingmaster for those willing to pay two or even three times more than the Express model. Hardly anyone is willing.

My 870 Express exterior will rust if you shoot it in damp weather. Steel wool and gun oil take off the rust. I hardly shoot in damp weather these days, so it’s not a problem.

The American public claims they want the best guns, but instead buy instead the cheapest thing that works. We have only ourselves to blame for the plain finished, plastic or beechwood stocked 870 Express being so popular.

I think it’s a miracle Remington can still offer a really usable, pointable, durable, reliable pump shotgun for a price a teenage kid can buy with less than a week’s wages at a burger joint.

Buy a Wingmaster, if you want a nice finish.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:10 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

SuperXOne wrote:
Remington still makes the 870 Wingmaster for those willing to pay two or even three times more than the Express model.

Remington does not currently make any 870s or any firearms at all.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have had my 870 express 16 ga since 2008, no rust issues ever.

cdb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:51 am 
Diamond Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
SuperXOne wrote:
Remington still makes the 870 Wingmaster for those willing to pay two or even three times more than the Express model.

Remington does not currently make any 870s or any firearms at all.

Hard to believe anyone on this forum could be ignorant of that fact.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:50 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

LogosArms wrote:
a Remington 870 Express - bought in December 2016 during Obummer's last weeks in office.

Got the 870 at Bass Pro on sale with a $50 rebate. Yeah, for $250 what can I expect?

Well... .

Sadly, it appears that Logos was so blinded by hate it was mind-affecting, on that fateful day nearly four years ago. So mind melting, it rendered him incapable of sending the gun to Remington for repair or replacement. I'm sorry to hear of this tragic, debilitating affliction that haunts Logos to this day.

http://randywakeman.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next