ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's true. I hate my Remington 870 Express.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:15 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
LogosArms wrote:
a Remington 870 Express - bought in December 2016 during Obummer's last weeks in office.

Got the 870 at Bass Pro on sale with a $50 rebate. Yeah, for $250 what can I expect?

Well... .

Sadly, it appears that Logos was so blinded by hate it was mind-affecting, on that fateful day nearly four years ago. So mind melting, it rendered him incapable of sending the gun to Remington for repair or replacement. I'm sorry to hear of this tragic, debilitating affliction that haunts Logos to this day.

Now-now-Randy, sarcasm is unbecoming although in this case sure looks accurate. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:00 pm 
Field Grade

EricB wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
SuperXOne wrote:
Remington still makes the 870 Wingmaster for those willing to pay two or even three times more than the Express model.

Remington does not currently make any 870s or any firearms at all.

Hard to believe anyone on this forum could be ignorant of that fact.

Harder to believe a guy would buy an Express, take it home sight unseen and complain about fit/finish, in public.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Randy, ...loved it......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

LogosArms, you got ample reason to not like the express, and that was a pretty good description of your problems. I had better luck with mine, but still never did fall in love with it. I noticed you have the Mossberg 940 and love it. I have been wondering about those. If I did not have a house full of guns, I would try one.

By the way, tron is really a very good natured guy, just likes to stir the pot a lot when he is not screwing up someone's stock. If I did not like to screw up my own stocks I would probably hire him to do mine. Randy, I think is suffering from lackofnookie. I know from personal experience that effects a guy a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:09 pm 
Crown Grade

pump shooter wrote:
EricB wrote:
RandyWakeman wrote:
SuperXOne wrote:
Remington still makes the 870 Wingmaster for those willing to pay two or even three times more than the Express model.

Remington does not currently make any 870s or any firearms at all.

Hard to believe anyone on this forum could be ignorant of that fact.

Harder to believe a guy would buy an Express, take it home sight unseen and complain about fit/finish, in public.

As satisfied as I`ve been with mine, I was under no illusions that I was getting Wingmaster quality for 250. Anybody that does, IMO, is being unrealistic. Through it all, most people that have issues seem to have them with the surface treatment (surface rust ). I don`t really recall anybody saying they don`t shoot reliably. Then again, I don`t recall things as well as I used to, either! :lol:

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
It was wrapped in plastic at the store. I looked it over at the store and it appeared fine until I got it home. Also, it was during Christmas and at Bass Pro that was a nearly 4 hour wait to pick it up (first and last gun I'll ever buy there).

No one can possibly inspect a firearm properly that is inside plastic. Failure to inspect a gun prior to purchase is 100% the purchasers fault. Invariably, you hear the "first and last gun I'll ever buy there" story . . . as if Bass Pro made the gun. That's not any semblance of customer loyalty. The only reason the gun was purchased at Bass Pro was that they had the cheapest price. It is a certainty that the $50 rebate was instantly applied for. It is all about being cheap.

Yet, Remington customer service has always been excellent and prior to 2016, 870's had a 2 year warranty. It can't be much of a significant problem if the gun was never sent back to Remington for repair or replacement.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

I won't/don't buy any firearms from the big box stores again. I bought my CSMC M21 O/U at their New Britain showroom but due to CT laws I could not take it home. It had to be sent to a FFL in NY. The one LGS that I had bought guns from wouldn't give CSMC their FFL number. CSMC got impatient with them and said to me "Where else can we send it." The only other place that came to mind was Gander Mtn. They made the arrangements and sent it there. When it came in I got a call and went to pick it up. While filling out the paperwork and after passing the background check this young man walks out from the back of the store not with the box but with the shotgun put together. I asked, "Where's the box?" "Oh, out back." he said while laying it on the counter. I said, "Did I ask you to put it together? Are you aware that's a $5,000 shotgun you're messing with." "Oh, wow, is it?" "Yes! and could you please bring out the box, I'm assuming that's where the extra chokes are and please don't handle it again." Who does that??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

That turned my stomach.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

It is definitely not a perfect world.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:43 pm 
Crown Grade

twohigh wrote:
I won't/don't buy any firearms from the big box stores again. I bought my CSMC M21 O/U at their New Britain showroom but due to CT laws I could not take it home. It had to be sent to a FFL in NY. The one LGS that I had bought guns from wouldn't give CSMC their FFL number. CSMC got impatient with them and said to me "Where else can we send it." The only other place that came to mind was Gander Mtn. They made the arrangements and sent it there. When it came in I got a call and went to pick it up. While filling out the paperwork and after passing the background check this young man walks out from the back of the store not with the box but with the shotgun put together. I asked, "Where's the box?" "Oh, out back." he said while laying it on the counter. I said, "Did I ask you to put it together? Are you aware that's a $5,000 shotgun you're messing with." "Oh, wow, is it?" "Yes! and could you please bring out the box, I'm assuming that's where the extra chokes are and please don't handle it again." Who does that??

That’s just bad! Hopefully no damage?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

The young man thought he was doing you a favor.

He had probably never seen a high dollar gun before and no one told him any better.

I recently bought a Browning Citori (not a high-dollar gun). If I hadn't read, on this site ( I think), that Browning included a very long Allen Wrench, I'd NEVER have found it. It was buried in between some of the packings inside of the original cardboard box. Its purpose was to remove the stock.

I am never throwing any gun box away.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:30 pm 
Limited Edition

EricB wrote:
The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Many years ago I bought an 870 express turkey gun. First thing I did was spray paint all the exposed metal dark green(rattle can), It hasn't rusted ever! It good with buckshot and turkey loads. It's a keeper. Mossbergs have always felt like a 2x4 in my hands. The Ben-Nova is the most plastic butt ugly shotgun ever made. When I get serious on pumps I shoot my mdl. 12's.

Have you ever seen a Benelli Vinci? It’s the Nova’s ugly step-sister.

Yep. My son has one for ducks. Butt wipe ugly too. My son has another high dollar one that appears to have a PLASTIC GLUED on rib. I don't like/won't an inertia shotgun. Inertia was invented in 1908...........FUNNY. It only took 112 years for it to catch on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

EricB wrote:
Many years ago I bought an 870 express turkey gun. First thing I did was spray paint all the exposed metal dark green(rattle can), It hasn't rusted ever! It good with buckshot and turkey loads. It's a keeper. Mossbergs have always felt like a 2x4 in my hands. The Ben-Nova is the most plastic butt ugly shotgun ever made. When I get serious on pumps I shoot my mdl. 12's.

Have you ever seen a Benelli Vinci? It’s the Nova’s ugly step-sister.

Yep. My son has one for ducks. Butt wipe ugly too. My son has another high dollar one that appears to have a PLASTIC GLUED on rib. I don't like/won't an inertia shotgun. Inertia was invented in 1908...........FUNNY. It only took 112 years for it to catch on.

I love my Montefeltro; before it every auto I owned was a jam-o-matic. To each his own.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

richg99 wrote:
The young man thought he was doing you a favor.

He had probably never seen a high dollar gun before and no one told him any better.

I recently bought a Browning Citori (not a high-dollar gun). If I hadn't read, on this site ( I think), that Browning included a very long Allen Wrench, I'd NEVER have found it. It was buried in between some of the packings inside of the original cardboard box. Its purpose was to remove the stock.

I am never throwing any gun box away.

I recently bought a new Citori. I need to go look in the box now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:03 am 
Diamond Grade

No kidding I need to look as well!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I used to own an 870, Express too.

Won it about 1998 or so from one of my fellow Guardsmen (Ks. Air Natl Guard Security Forces) whose VFW lodge was raffling it off.

I bought 1 ticket, $5, didn't expect to win, 3 or 4 months later when I had totally forgotten it, he handed it to me one drill weekend.

Yea, finish wasn't finely polished and blued.
Wasn't rusted.
It shot. Seemed to shoot a lot like my other shotguns.
I never really cared for it though, it was The Unloved Sister in the back of the safe.
About a decade ago, a co-worker of mine (Learjet) happened to ask me, knowing I was a gun-guy, if I might know anyone with an 870 for sale. He was looking to purchase a gift for his son who was returning from 'Stan deployment and his Birthday.

"Well Scott, not offhand, BUT, it just so happens, I have one, that isn't really actively "for sale", but let's discuss this".............

IIRC retail was right about $275.
I figure it had about 4 boxes of shells through it....
Sold it to him for $200 and everyone was happy, including his son.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:29 am 
Limited Edition

You already have a Mossberg 940 Pro, why not give it a little brother and pick up a little brother for it and get a Mossberg 500? It's still being produced by a family owned company that is still in business.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For what it is worth, I agree with you totally. If I had a Remington 870 express I would hate it too. Looked at buying one and passed. Fortunately I figured out I hated it before I bought it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Bill M. wrote:
For what it is worth, I agree with you totally. If I had a Remington 870 express I would hate it too. Looked at buying one and passed. Fortunately I figured out I hated it before I bought it.

How can you possibly know that? Mine`s just fine. That`s one of the more bizarre statements I`ve seen in a long time.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Different strokes for different folks.

I doubt I could hate any shotgun, I'd just prefer one over the other.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next