ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's true. I hate my Remington 870 Express.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:41 pm 
Crown Grade

richg99 wrote:
Different strokes for different folks.

I doubt I could hate any shotgun, I'd just prefer one over the other.

Absolutely, and I might not buy a gun ( or any product, for that matter ) if it had bad reviews. I wouldn`t say I " hate " something I`ve never owned, though. My previous post in response to Bill M`s post may have been a bit too harsh, though.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Looks like we might get 10 pages out of a guy harping about a $250 shotgun:-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Looks like we might get 10 pages out of a guy harping about a $250 shotgun:-)

Now that really is funny! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The fact that the 870 can be made so crudely (compared to the original Wing Masters) and still function with 100% reliably is a testament to what a great design it is. Even with all the shortcuts in manufacturing and crappy quality it still works.

The good news is that the patent has run out on this design and just like the 1911 pistol, you will see high quality versions from new manufacturers in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Ezra Smack wrote:
The fact that the 870 can be made so crudely (compared to the original Wing Masters) and still function with 100% reliably is a testament to what a great design it is. Even with all the shortcuts in manufacturing and crappy quality it still works.

The good news is that the patent has run out on this design and just like the 1911 pistol, you will see high quality versions from new manufacturers in the future.

Although sad to contemplate, if indeed we`ve seen the last Wingmaster produced under the Remington brand, it`s interesting to contemplate what a NIB Remington "original" one will go for in, say,10 years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some other company will make a better 870 just like Wilson Combat makes a better 1911.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Ezra, I’ve got to say...... you may have outdone yourself that time.

Being an 870 fan, I’m drooling at the prospect of a semi, or full custom 870! Well done, wish you hadn’t said it.:-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ezra Smack wrote:
Some other company will make a better 870 just like Wilson Combat makes a better 1911.

I'm sure there's a company somewhere in the world that could make a high end 870 with some beautiful Turkish walnut, who could that be ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:12 pm 
Utility Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
No one can possibly inspect a firearm properly that is inside plastic. Failure to inspect a gun prior to purchase is 100% the purchasers fault. Invariably, you hear the "first and last gun I'll ever buy there" story . . . as if Bass Pro made the gun. That's not any semblance of customer loyalty. The only reason the gun was purchased at Bass Pro was that they had the cheapest price. It is a certainty that the $50 rebate was instantly applied for. It is all about being cheap.

Yet, Remington customer service has always been excellent and prior to 2016, 870's had a 2 year warranty. It can't be much of a significant problem if the gun was never sent back to Remington for repair or replacement.

Randy, you should practice reading comprehension. The issues of it being the last gun I'd buy from Bass Pro, as I clearly stated, was the 4 HOUR wait time to pick up the gun from the time we arrived, with a 9 year old in tow. Besides their atrocious computer system to fill out CA DROS forms, when you pick up the gun, someone has to walk you to the front door with the gun. They had one guy during the holiday season to do this. Hundreds of pissed off people standing around for hours. Try standing around for 4 hours with a 9 year old waiting for your number to be called for pick up. As I said, after waiting so long, and after dealing with a complaining 9 year-old, I just wanted to get the F* out of there. Other stores in the area are generally 15-30 minutes to pick up a gun. Not Bass Pro. As for replacement, it's CA. To get a gun replaced requires an additional background check and fees, an additional 10 day wait, etc. If you'd like help with reading comprehension skills, I'll get you some Sally, Dick and Jane books free of charge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I took some of the friendlier people's advice in this thread and got a camo polymer stock and foregrip with the air cell recoil pad. This took about 9oz off the gun and improved the fitment and look over the awful wood furniture.

For the rust I took it apart and sprayed CLP all over the receiver and scrubbed it with a new fine brass brush. TONS of crud came off which seams to have halted the problem. Unbelievable how much crud there was. I'll get the rust inhibiting grease on it, too.

I took it out for trap and got my highest score with it on Sunday - an 18 - (I'm a newb so you people with your $7k guns who've done this for 20 years and get consecutive 25s, settle down.) The new recoil pad was a significant improvement. After 100 rounds I had no chafing.

Immediately after trap I took it out for an upland hunt and the weight reduction was definitely noticeable after hauling it through the wilderness for 3-4 hours.

So it's gone from the gun I hate most to a moderately decent firearm. From a 1 out of 10 to a 5 out of 10.

I appreciate the feedback from the more intelligent posters here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

Keep your eyes open for a wingmaster if funds allow. It is a truly nice gun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:12 pm 
Crown Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
Keep your eyes open for a wingmaster if funds allow. It is a truly nice gun.

Yes, I thought that was a swell advice too.....better advice might be to keep your eyes open in the "wilderness". {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Gotta ask what does that {has thing mean?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What if Night Hawk custom made an 870?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Funny, people have been screaming for 30 years about the exterior rust on barrels of Express 870's. So, the OP buys one and wonders why the finish rust!!!

Now, I bought mine back in 1998 to use in a duck blind and used it at the duck club for over 3 years with no rust!!

Go figure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:56 am 
Field Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
The American public claims they want the best guns, but instead buy instead the cheapest thing that works. We have only ourselves to blame for the plain finished, plastic or beechwood stocked 870 Express being so popular.

I am sorry, I cannot take responsibility for that crisis.

Image[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:10 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm distracted by your avatar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:02 am 
Crown Grade

Goldens Always wrote:
SuperXOne wrote:
The American public claims they want the best guns, but instead buy instead the cheapest thing that works. We have only ourselves to blame for the plain finished, plastic or beechwood stocked 870 Express being so popular.

I am sorry, I cannot take responsibility for that crisis.

Image[/url]

Filet mignon of the sky, IMHO. I’ve known people who will gladly share their “ big ducks “ with you. Those same people when it comes to teal ? Not so much.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:32 am 
Field Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Filet mignon of the sky, IMHO. I’ve known people who will gladly share their “ big ducks “ with you. Those same people when it comes to teal ? Not so much.

I cannot disagree with you about that, but a fat mallard like the one waiting in my fridge, is pretty fine too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

LogosArms wrote:
I took some of the friendlier people's advice in this thread and got a camo polymer stock and foregrip with the air cell recoil pad. This took about 9oz off the gun and improved the fitment and look over the awful wood furniture.

For the rust I took it apart and sprayed CLP all over the receiver and scrubbed it with a new fine brass brush. TONS of crud came off which seams to have halted the problem. Unbelievable how much crud there was. I'll get the rust inhibiting grease on it, too.

I took it out for trap and got my highest score with it on Sunday - an 18 - (I'm a newb so you people with your $7k guns who've done this for 20 years and get consecutive 25s, settle down.) The new recoil pad was a significant improvement. After 100 rounds I had no chafing.

Immediately after trap I took it out for an upland hunt and the weight reduction was definitely noticeable after hauling it through the wilderness for 3-4 hours.

So it's gone from the gun I hate most to a moderately decent firearm. From a 1 out of 10 to a 5 out of 10.

I appreciate the feedback from the more intelligent posters here.

Well, you endured all that crud, and rust, then you endured all the
people here that insisted it was your fault that it had all the rust,
and if you just knew what you were doing it would have been fine.
To your credit though you overcame all. You got the gun to cooperating
took a pound of rust and crud off of it, put up with some lunacy from
from those thinking this was all your fault, and you did not even let
them run you off. You got persistence, you don't give up, and you
overcame. Sort of reminds me of one of my other threads, You got
balls. Well done on getting the gun to cooperate and to still be here
when you had so many trying to sell the idea that you are an idiot.

Last edited by JoeCool on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next