ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: It's true. I hate my Remington 870 Express.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:37 pm 
Crown Grade

LogosArms wrote:
I took some of the friendlier people's advice in this thread and got a camo polymer stock and foregrip with the air cell recoil pad. This took about 9oz off the gun and improved the fitment and look over the awful wood furniture.

For the rust I took it apart and sprayed CLP all over the receiver and scrubbed it with a new fine brass brush. TONS of crud came off which seams to have halted the problem. Unbelievable how much crud there was. I'll get the rust inhibiting grease on it, too.

I took it out for trap and got my highest score with it on Sunday - an 18 - (I'm a newb so you people with your $7k guns who've done this for 20 years and get consecutive 25s, settle down.) The new recoil pad was a significant improvement. After 100 rounds I had no chafing.

Immediately after trap I took it out for an upland hunt and the weight reduction was definitely noticeable after hauling it through the wilderness for 3-4 hours.

So it's gone from the gun I hate most to a moderately decent firearm. From a 1 out of 10 to a 5 out of 10.

I appreciate the feedback from the more intelligent posters here.

Keep it wiped down after use, maybe a little grease, you might be surprised that you end up using it more than you thought you might . Nothing flashy , just a solid , dependable gun.
I know that’s what happened for me with mine.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:10 am 
Field Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Bill M. wrote:
For what it is worth, I agree with you totally. If I had a Remington 870 express I would hate it too. Looked at buying one and passed. Fortunately I figured out I hated it before I bought it.

How can you possibly know that? Mine`s just fine. That`s one of the more bizarre statements I`ve seen in a long time.

Perhaps you were unaware that it is possible to try a gun without buying it. I frequently do this through people I call "friends". I can understand why you may not be familiar with the concept, but it is how I learned that the 870 has a non-ambi safety, an unergonomic slide release position, and a shell lifter that doesn't get out of the way like so many other, better pump designs - all without owning it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:40 am 
Crown Grade

October wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:
Bill M. wrote:
For what it is worth, I agree with you totally. If I had a Remington 870 express I would hate it too. Looked at buying one and passed. Fortunately I figured out I hated it before I bought it.

How can you possibly know that? Mine`s just fine. That`s one of the more bizarre statements I`ve seen in a long time.

Perhaps you were unaware that it is possible to try a gun without buying it. I frequently do this through people I call "friends". I can understand why you may not be familiar with the concept, but it is how I learned that the 870 has a non-ambi safety, an unergonomic slide release position, and a shell lifter that doesn't get out of the way like so many other, better pump designs - all without owning it.

People throw the term "hate" around rather loosely, I think. People they`ve never met and don`t know at all, things they`ve never really handled or with which they`ve never bothered to actually become familiar, etc., etc. I personally reserve that term for people (rarely) or things with which I have more than a passing acquaintance. I shouldn`t expect others to apply the same definition or criteria when applying that term, I suppose. And yes, I`m aware that one can try things out and form opinions without actually purchasing them.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:45 am 
Presentation Grade

I've owned and shot every American made pump gun. I currently own 2 Ithaca M37, 2 Winchester M12, 2 Remington 870. IMO the 870 is the best designed, easiest to clean and repair. No questions in my mind, the 870 is most reliable pump gun ever made.