ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why the shotgun shell shortage?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was in the local Cabelas and found very little target shells to choose from. They had 6 boxes of 28 ga and no .410 of any kind.My favorite on line source is also out of most things.
I think I understand pistol ammo being short with all the chaos the country is going through but rifle and shotgun ammo?
Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: why the shotgun shell shortage?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Components is components.......COVID issues in both raw materials and production..........panic buying/hoarding.

Not that tough to figure out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

I was recently able to buy 10 boxes at 2 different Rural King stores here in Western FL. I got the tip from FloridaFord. Thanks, Big Guy!

There was a 10 box limit per store so that part sucked, but was traveling in area where I could hit two stores. Price was $4.99/box for Winchester Super Target 1 1/8 oz. and I saw regularly priced Gun Clubs for $5.99/bx. I would have bought a lot more but could not. If I am in the area again, I will see if there are any left.

Not overly fond of the Super Target but it is o.k. for a poser like me to shoot for fun and especially at that price.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:23 pm 
Crown Grade

It's only getting worse every day :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Search Bass/Cabela’s website every few days for the Herter’s house brand. They get shipments on a regular basis but are out of stock again pretty quickly. You have to watch for the stock and jump on it when you can. No limits that I know of and free shipping. Once I got a 5% rebate for picking up at the store. Price is okay but not great. Good discount for full cases.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Remington bankruptcy will contribute to lower supply too.
Buyers of Remington will have to move to other brands, for the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Handgun powder = shotgun powder

They are running production on their most lucrative products, of which target load shotshells are the least. Primers, powder, and lead are going into defensive loads. There are also production schedule issues, although I'm sure all of those have been thrown out the window to keep up with demand.

They are using the same equipment to produce ALL of their shotshells, and they aren't going to stop making slugs and buckshot that they can sell at 75c-$1 each as fast as they can run them to produce target loads that they sell for less than 35c each. They also only have a finite amount of equipment and people to run it, and since this is not a long term issue, it doesn't make sense to invest in more of either.

Bottom line, target load shotshells are the LOWEST on the list of items to run. I fully expect to see shortages in loaded shotshells and components through at least next summer, if not past this time next year. Vista is $1 BILLION behind in orders right now, and target shotshells will be a TINY percentage of that.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:12 pm 
Crown Grade

My youngest and, perhaps, last dog is a Gordon @ 4 years old....I have more than enough shotshells to see him thru his hunting life in alders to shortgrass.

It must be vexing to ride the rather cyclical wave of fear over a lack of scattergun fodder. Might be wise for the hoarders to consider growing up....who knows, I might decide to roll the dice on another dog.
They do keep us perking along.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:24 pm 
Field Grade

oyeme wrote:
I was recently able to buy 10 boxes at 2 different Rural King stores here in Western FL. I got the tip from FloridaFord. Thanks, Big Guy!

There was a 10 box limit per store so that part sucked, but was traveling in area where I could hit two stores. Price was $4.99/box for Winchester Super Target 1 1/8 oz. and I saw regularly priced Gun Clubs for $5.99/bx. I would have bought a lot more but could not. If I am in the area again, I will see if there are any left.

Not overly fond of the Super Target but it is o.k. for a poser like me to shoot for fun and especially at that price.

I'm really new to the shotgun scene but I have been doing a ton of research on Win Super Target because my choices of availability (sometimes) is the super target or winchester/federal 100 packs. All 3 are the same price point at $5.48/25 pk. The super targets are obviously no AA but from what I'm seeing, they really aren't bad... especially at that price point. I could be wrong but from my research, I have been reaching for super targets first followed by the federal 100 pack. I really have only been grabbing the winchester 100 pack if I'm out. These are just for breaking clays for fun.

Again, I'm new but I think the super targets are pretty good at the price you bought for and what I'm buying for. Another shell they have been compared to that I have been buying is the Fiocchi shooting dynamics and the cheapest I can find those right now is $7.50.

Hope this doesn't hijack the thread but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I think in the end, if it goes bang, it's all good... I just want to buy the best when given different choices at the same price.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I seldom buy shotgun shells but am discovering that many reloading components are hard to find, especially primers. Some of the wads I want are out of stock everywhere. I have enough supplies that I will still have shells to shoot in the foreseeable future but may not have components for some of my preferred loads.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet_Man wrote:
Handgun powder = shotgun powder

They are running production on their most lucrative products, of which target load shotshells are the least. Primers, powder, and lead are going into defensive loads. There are also production schedule issues, although I'm sure all of those have been thrown out the window to keep up with demand.

They are using the same equipment to produce ALL of their shotshells, and they aren't going to stop making slugs and buckshot that they can sell at 75c-$1 each as fast as they can run them to produce target loads that they sell for less than 35c each. They also only have a finite amount of equipment and people to run it, and since this is not a long term issue, it doesn't make sense to invest in more of either.

Bottom line, target load shotshells are the LOWEST on the list of items to run. I fully expect to see shortages in loaded shotshells and components through at least next summer, if not past this time next year. Vista is $1 BILLION behind in orders right now, and target shotshells will be a TINY percentage of that.

That is the most informative post I have read about the shortage.
Thank you. {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:54 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

In a word- hoarders.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tron wrote:
In a word- hoarders.

And they can’t be dissuaded.

Post subject: why the shotgun shell shortage?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The main difference in economy priced shells vs premium is the quality of the shot. The harder the shot, the tighter the pattern which equals more broken targets. For me, it’s no big deal but for serious competitors, one missed target can cost you the tournament. Regarding the shortage, I think that we are in it for a good while, and I also predict that prices will go up. Just a suggestion: I have recently picked up shot, powder, wads and primers at estate sales for a fraction of current retail prices. Not for everyone, but it works for me.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:23 pm 
Crown Grade

saskbooknut wrote:
Remington bankruptcy will contribute to lower supply too.
Buyers of Remington will have to move to other brands, for the moment.

No, Remington ammo is owned by Vista (Federal), so no issue in that regard. The issue is Covid and shortgaes of components.
Most production is geared to handgun ammo at the moment. As for 28 and 410; those are typically run once per year.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Components is components.......COVID issues in both raw materials and production..........panic buying/hoarding.

Not that tough to figure out.

Just wait for Gropey Don Joe, aka The Joefather, aka The Big Guy, tells the whole country they can't go to work :roll: , including you gun and ammo people too. :shock:

ESPECIALLY you evil gun and ammo people. :evil:

THEN you'll get to see a ChiCom Plague Ammo Shortage. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Good thing I retired then:-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It sounds like a bleak picture but I am afraid it is true.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Are you telling me that there is no interruption in Remington ammo production?
Nonsense.
Vista will be working hard to get Remington ammo back in production, but they've been down for a while.
Trap ammo may not be a high priority at first.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:11 pm 
Crown Grade

When Harris becomes POTUS civil unrest may come to your neighborhood. You should have already stocked up on ammo.