ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bulged CZ OU- what are my options?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I made a huge mistake and put a hevi-shot shell through a full choke on my CZ Redhead Premier. The lower barrel is bulged just behind the choke. I’m not blaming the gun here, this was my error. So the question is, what now? I can’t find any replacement barrels online, that would be my preference. Will call cz tomorrow and see if that’s an option but I’m not hopeful. If I have a gunsmith cut it down to maybe 22” (it’s currently 28) would it still be viable for say, rabbit hunting? Shorter barrel and cylinder bore seems doable for shorter range shots. Third option I’m hoping someone can tell me, are the barrels interchangeable between the Redhead Premiere and the Drake? If I buy a Drake I can then swap receivers and fore ends as I wish.

Post subject: Re: Bulged CZ OU- what are my options?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Other than looks I think you can still shoot the gun as is.
Is it an old gun? Before steel shot?
A heavy shot should make no difference.
Is it a 12 gauge? A sub-gauge OO buck could "bridge" and maybe do it.
I shot an old Marlin 12 gauge goose gun, full choke, with a very prominent bulge for many years with no problems. In fact, I still use it for 1 1/4 oz slugs for deer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:09 pm 
Utility Grade

870Slugger wrote:
Other than looks I think you can still shoot the gun as is.
Is it an old gun? Before steel shot?
A heavy shot should make no difference.
Is it a 12 gauge? A sub-gauge OO buck could "bridge" and maybe do it.
I shot an old Marlin 12 gauge goose gun, full choke, with a very prominent bulge for many years with no problems. In fact, I still use it for 1 1/4 oz slugs for deer.

It is not an old gun. Bought it this year actually. As it turns out the manufacturer of hevi-shot says you shouldn’t shoot it through a full choke. Doesn’t say that on the box.

I’m concerned about continuing to shoot through a bulged barrel though. Am I worrying too much about it splitting or failing dangerously? It’s not cosmetically noticeable. I only realized it was bulged when I ran my hand down the barrel cleaning it. I can see a slight bulge when I hold it up and look along the length. The choke doesn’t seem damaged.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Unlikely you’d notice anything by shooting it.

This story sounds pretty familiar......... does the choke tube thread out and back in?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think you are making the correct move calling CZ-USA, and consulting with them.

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Now that I’ve read more and looked again, I might just be paranoid. The bulge is slight and now that I look in different light, it’s about 4” from the muzzle and it’s on BOTH barrels. I think maybe this is just the way the barrels have always been, to accommodate the chokes. I maybe just didn’t notice before. The choke is undamaged and comes in and out no problem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Most likely the manufactured bell for choke tubes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Rooster booster wrote:

And I can’t see any distortions when I look down the bore, only from the outside.

I am breathing heavy sighs of relief over here.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:53 pm 
Crown Grade

I have shot heavyshot, federal heavyweight 15, and 18.5gcc tss through tight turkey chokes with no problems. However I will say the largest shot size I’ve used is 6s

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

I think you've solved your problem. CZ Huglu's with screw in chokes are slightly belled at the muzzle where the chokes screw in. It is much more noticeable on the SXS's than on the O/U where the rib hides some of that when the gun is mounted. Some people notice this immediately when they handle the gun and find it distracting and objectionable. Others are aware of it, but don't look at the barrels when shooting anyway. so don't care. Then there are those who never notice it until the fateful day that they do and find it alarming. We'll put you in the latter category. Enjoy shooting your CZ, the belled muzzle likely adds strength to the choke area and you should find that comforting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

speckyradge1 wrote:
I made a huge mistake and put a hevi-shot shell through a full choke on my CZ Redhead Premier. The lower barrel is bulged just behind the choke. I’m not blaming the gun here, this was my error. So the question is, what now? I can’t find any replacement barrels online, that would be my preference. Will call cz tomorrow and see if that’s an option but I’m not hopeful. If I have a gunsmith cut it down to maybe 22” (it’s currently 28) would it still be viable for say, rabbit hunting? Shorter barrel and cylinder bore seems doable for shorter range shots. Third option I’m hoping someone can tell me, are the barrels interchangeable between the Redhead Premiere and the Drake? If I buy a Drake I can then swap receivers and fore ends as I wish.

Here's how you can tell for sure whether it's a bulge or just the "belling out" to accommodate the choke tubes. A bulge typically extends no more than 1" or maybe 1.5" in length along the barrel while the belling out for the choke tube will run the larger outside diameter all the way to the end of the barrel.

So, if your barrel bulges out and then narrows back down, it's a bulged barrel. If it bells out and stays the same (large) diameter all the way to the muzzle, that's just the way the gun was made.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

You're ok. It's just designed that way to accommodate the screw-in chokes. My Brownings with screw in chokes are the same way. You can go back to your regularly scheduled life, just don't press your luck and do it again. Steel and hard tungsten loads pattern pretty tight thru a modified choke.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

The choke tube will let you know if you can shoot hard shot and how fast you can shoot in Most modern guns will take any kind of shot and speed.

https://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-se ... q=cremator
For example. Just the first one I looked up.
Carlson's an extra full choke .697

The Cremator® series has no size or speed restrictions with steel shot in any of the three constrictions. You also get all the benefits of an extended choke tube, including a 25% longer parallel section for tighter and more dense patterns, wrench-less installation, quick removal and helps with muzzle protection. They are offered in your choice of ported or non-ported configurations. Like all of our tubes, Carlson’s Cremator® Series Choke Tubes are made in the U.S.A., carry a lifetime warranty, and are precision-machined from heat-treated 17-4 stainless steel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yeah, I think you are okay. I do not have a CZ but my Browning Citori has the swell at the muzzle for the chokes. Just the way the gun is made. Use the correct choke and carry on. If you can easily screw the choke in and out the barrel is not bulged from a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Rooster booster wrote:

This. My Brand new Bobwhite G2 has this and it is most certainly a design feature of the choke install. I would contact CZ and see what they say. You may have no damage at all.