ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Balancing a shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, I'm a new to skeet shooting. I was wondering the best way to secure lead in the stock for balancing your gun?

Post subject: Re: Balancing a shotgun
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:02 am 
Crown Grade

RVS,

Be careful where you add weight. Adding weight to the butt of a gun can alter the handling characteristics but, not always for the good. You may be interested in the following regarding balance, handling dynamics and least moment of inertia:

Use the Shotgunworld search function and type in the key words, "Least Moment of Inertia", go to page 2 of that topic and scroll down to my post of May 20, 2010. It still applies.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:50 am 
Limited Edition

I've had decent luck just putting weights (shot, sinkers, even used primers) in a ziplock and putting them in the hole for the stock bolt.

If it's a gun with a magazine, fill an old shell with shot and put it ahead of the magazine spring.

The nice thing about these is they don't alter the gun. If you decide you like one or both, you can either leave them as is or do something more permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:48 am 
Limited Edition

Win50 is correct. I did this many years ago. Make sure you tamp down the bagged shot in the butt with something to prevent it moving. You can also add tamping material to the hole prior to the shot if you want the weight further to the rear. You can also try a threaded bolt, with washers and nut, the length of the hole. Just move the washers up or down to find the right position.

If you want to add removable weight to O/U or S/S barrels I’ve used adhesive golf weights. I found them in various weight at a golf store. You add them to the ribs, but they don’t last forever. There may be room under some forearms to add weights on the ribs as well.

Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:15 am 
Crown Grade

If the hole in the stock is bog enough, loading some hulls with shot helps keeps things in place.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:07 pm 
Crown Grade

What balance is your goal?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

RVS wrote:
Hi, I'm a new to skeet shooting. I was wondering the best way to secure lead in the stock for balancing your gun?

Usually people look at the hole in stock for the stock bolt, and figure out someway to put something in there. If the hole is just round, you can just about always use some pipe, or steel tubing, and if that does not get the weight up to where you get your balance, then you can add some lead inside the tubing. I once balanced one by adding a steel butt plate, between the pad and stock. You might also just use a heavier pad. The Kickezz is quite heavy, and might be heavier than what you have on it now.