ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Portable electric skeet throwers?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've been shopping these on-line for puchase possibly in spring.
Any brands/models that are standouts? Any to avoid? I'm looking at the 2-$300. range.
Some of the grand kids are getting ready and I can't cock my old manual thrower any more. Nor do I want to, nor does my son.

Post subject: Re: Portable electric skeet throwers?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:46 am 
Limited Edition

I've been impressed by the WheelyBird - https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Traps-T ... r=8-5&th=1

Bought it 5 or 6 yrs ago for a little backyard trap, and it works great. You need a 12v power source, but I just hook it up to the tractor or truck battery and it goes great.

It is not a super-powerful trap (about the same as most hand throwers) so I did wire an extension cord in to both the power and trigger lines so I could move it out a bit further.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Whirlybird 2.0. Is the way to go for 350.00. It comes with a wireless remote. I’ve also added the wobbler kit to mine and for the money it cannot be beat.

I also have a 7500 dollar claybot with an Atlas commercial thrower and have to admit the wheelybird2.0 gets used just as much for teaching my daughter.

DL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I like the wheelybird as well. I added the wireless remote later, which works from at least 100' away (I haven't tried farther than that). Also allows you to add a delay (up to 15 seconds) which is really handy if you are solo.

The wheels are awful so I replaced those with some from Tractor Supply.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Another vote for Wheelybird 2.0
It's tough to beat for the price and does an outstanding job. Especially when you consider the price point. The included remote makes for some interesting target presentation options that would be difficult/unsafe with a cord.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wonder if a Long Range wireless/voice release could be rigged up ?

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Do All and love it. Set in my yard wagon with the battery and then with the remote I can walk around and get any angle. Flings them a measured 93 yards if you crank down on the spring. Every once in a while you will need to make adjustments, so if you are not good with tools at least have a friend who is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the replies. Looking at these on line, it appears that the wobble base would go between the frame with the wheels (on the weelybird) and the actual launcher and motor?
The electric supply will be running a second motor? So I'd want to upgrade the battery?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

1 battery runs both. Hopefully champion comes out with a wheelie bird 3 and adds a battery basket on the frame close to the handle end.

DL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

hopper810 wrote:

You don't need voice release. There is a dial on the receiver where you set your delay. The release delay can be set up to 15 seconds. Mine is set for four seconds. Plenty of time to push the button, drop the remote into my shooting pouch/pocket and get ready for the clay.

Most of my wheelybird 2.0 time is spent shooting solo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hal4son wrote:
hopper810 wrote:

You don't need voice release. There is a dial on the receiver where you set your delay. The release delay can be set up to 15 seconds. Mine is set for four seconds. Plenty of time to push the button, drop the remote into my shooting pouch/pocket and get ready for the clay.

Most of my wheelybird 2.0 time is spent shooting solo.

I like my voice release and was just curious,here is a pic of what I have/use now Atlas AT300 in the foreground and an Atlas Patriot in the background.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:22 pm 
Limited Edition

2 Wheelybirds on remote for me. One in high house. One in low house. They run for months on 12V lawnmower batteries.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:39 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a Wheelybird with wobble base and remote. Runs on a $30 lawnmower battery from Walmart. I just put the battery in a bucket, easy to carry around. I keep it on tender when not in use. The wobble base is a $h!tload of fun.

When there are 2 of us, I load up my 20 gauge pump with 6 rounds and stand off to the side and have my friend hit the button on report for the 6 shots, what a blast with that wobbler. Never know where it's going to come out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:56 am 
Crown Grade

I have a Champion Easybird that I bought years ago. It works great for me and I have been happy with the quality. I have used Atlas traps that are available at the range where I shoot. They are good except where everybody can use them they keep them screwed up all the time so I use my own.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Easybird here also, from years ago, with a 2x4 cart base and a remote added. Was well made. Throws about 60-65 yards. I would love to have a pair setup as a skeet range, but alas that never happened. We just use it to get in shape for hunting. Incomers from a layout blind or sitting on a bucket are the first practice of the year for me.

The only problem I can admit about the Champion Easybird is it hates feeding the Champion brand clay birds that I originally bought to go with it. They stop feeding even with 15-20 left on the stack. White Flyer, never an issue. I still have 2-4 or so 90 packs of the Champion brand bought at Dicks to used up in a trius or hand thrower, but they never get used. Newer Champion targets might feed, but I've never tried them. White Flyer's keep dropping until a very few are left, even at a sharp feed angle.

Oh, and for a remote, I hooked a telescoping FM antenna to the receiver on the thrower. The little transmitter antenna doesn't even need to be extended to throw from 100 yards, further than needed. I molded a little apoxie sculpt to the transmitter body to shape it for a rubber band connection to the gun barrel. Rubber band goes through the vent rib, and holds the transmitter securely under the barrel. So from low gun, just touch the red button on the transmitter with stretched finger on the front hand, then the transmitter is out of the way in front of the forend and out of the sight line.