ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First shotgun advice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Just passed my safety course up and looking for some advice on a first-ever shotgun for a beginner. A store in my area has a nice Remington 870 synthetic express but would love to hear ideas and other people’s experiences with their first shotgun ownership. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: First shotgun advice
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:27 am 
Presentation Grade

Depends on your budget and what you want it for, but generally, I'd go with a Remington 1100, preferably a Competition Synthetic model.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:14 am 
Tournament Grade

You’ll get a Load of different suggestions, brands and types... there are lots of good guns out there.

There is nothing wrong with a good 870. It was my first “real shotgun” I bought myself. Back around the first year the express came out. Wood. Shot a lot of stuff with it. Fur feather clay paper. Good aftermarket support for customizing.

Availability, the budget come into play here:

If funds permit, a good semi would be nice, my choice. A large selection there, multiple companies.

Currently, the Remington v3 sounds interesting.

The B’s have some good stuff. Browning bennelli beretta mossberg too. And others.

A lot depends on your budget. Go semi if possible. IMHO.

Good luck and report back after you buy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:15 am 
Diamond Grade

For what use? Clays?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As birdhunter39 said, what are you planing on using it for?

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:51 am 
Crown Grade

Ditto on knowing what its primary use will be. Having said that, an 870 in good shape and taken care of will cover an awful lot of ground, particularly as a field gun. Very dependable. It`s not an all time classic for no reason.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:01 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

IMO, the way it works is that if you like it, buy it. :mrgreen:

If you don't like it after awhile, sell it & buy something else that might fit YOUR needs better.

BTW - a Remington 870 is never a bad choice, just a different choice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Remington no longer makes guns, but in the past they made millions and millions of 870's. They wifi be around longer than any of us alive today. With genuine Remington, as well as aftermarket parts you can configure an 870 to be pretty much ideal for any situation a shotgun is useful for. A short barreled, short stocked gun isn't great for trap, but both the barrel and stock can be changed. A long smooth bore isn't great for deer hunting with slugs, but slug barrels are available. And so on and so forth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 pm 
Limited Edition

The 870 is a great choice to start out - there's really very little you can't do with it, parts are around and they're very reliable. It's not necessarily the best gun for any particular thing, but they're pretty good for just about anything.

FWIW I'm not a giant fan of the plastic stocks, but that's more aesthetics than anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Possible hit and run......

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:20 am 
Field Grade

I have owned the 870, 1100, and several others.

My best shotgun purchase has been a Benelli SBE II. I got it the first year the II was offered. The nice thing about these shotguns (Beretta's too) is the they come with the shims and pads to make the gun fit most people.

I have hunted with it for over a decade. It handles the salt water marsh with no problem. I shot it on the last leg of a 5 Stand league last week while I was having a stock fit to my DT-11.

Guess which week I shot the highest score on the 5 Stand league?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Possible hit and run......

Seems to be :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:12 am 
Utility Grade

If you're in Santa Clara CA and you want to get into shotgun shooting, I would go check out Coyote Valley.

IMHO shotgun fit is super important. If you just want an HD gun, buy that 870. If you want something to bust clays and birds with, go get something that fits.