ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Older Mossberg Trap Barrel?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey everyone, I'm a bit new here so let me know if there's anything I can do better.
So, about a week or two ago I picked up a Mossberg 500. It is an older model, one with retaining clips on the magazine tube. It came with a trap barrel, not risen, and it has no manufacturer engravings. All that is engraved in the barrel is
"Chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 in. shells"
"12 gauge 30 inch full choke Trap"
"Made In USA"
Does anybody know if Mossberg didn't put their logo on some of their barrels? I've switched this barrel out with a slug barrel, so now I just have this sitting in my workbench.

Post subject: Re: Older Mossberg Trap Barrel?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
1) Yes, you can do better by not starting a new account on your second day and asking the same question: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=522762.

2) What do you mean by "not risen"? That the barrel has no Simmons rib? If the barrel does not have a Simmons rib, it would have a usual used value of $90-$150.

3) Does the gun have a high Monte Carlo trap stock?

4) Please show us a picture of what you call a Mossberg "logo" on your slug barrel.

5) On your other thread, you wrote that the trap barrel has no manufacturer engraving. Simmons Gun Specialties, Inc. added an Olympic style high rib for Mossberg to some of their trap guns. Are you suggesting that someone counterfeited a standard 1970's Mossberg trap barrel without a Simmons rib? Why would anyone do that? Please show us closeup pictures of the stampings on your trap barrel.

To steal a big election.
Joe fell down
And lost his Crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:20 pm 
Utility Grade

1.) My apologies. I guess I didn’t search hard enough for a similar question before making an account and asking the question.

2. Some trap guns have a “high rise” ventilated rib. My barrel does not.

3.) No. It does not have a Monte Carlo stock.

4.) Picture for you.

5. I never wrote another thread. It seems to me that you think I made another account. This is the only account I’ve made. For reference, this is what I refer to as a Mossberg “logo”. I meant engraving, if that helps you to understand better.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)

This is a close-up of your first picture, the manufacturer's "logo" on a Mossberg 695 bolt-action 12 gauge gun. If you do not see that manufacturer's roll stamp (not engraving) on the opposite side of your trap barrel, then I guess that you have answered your own question. But your trap barrel is a definitely a Mossberg 500 barrel because it fits your 500 receiver and it has a typical Mossberg roll stamp, as seen in your second picture.

You can call Mossberg with your serial number and ask them what was the model when it left the factory and its year of manufacture. It is unlikely to have been a trap gun because it does not have the high Monte Carlo trap stock. It is likely that your trap barrel was not not original to your gun. Welcome to ShotgunWorld, sir.

To steal a big election.
Joe fell down
And lost his Crown,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wfb18 wrote:
1) Yes, you can do better by not starting a new account on your second day and asking the same question: https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=522762.
jdemetrio0192 wrote:
1.) My apologies. I guess I didn’t search hard enough for a similar question before making an account and asking the question...
5. I never wrote another thread. It seems to me that you think I made another account. This is the only account I’ve made...

Normally I would not waste my time but you appear determined to make an arse out of me, so let me reply in kind.
1) The real reason that you did not search hard enough for a similar question was because you did not start your "LennyMurray" thread until the next day, 18 Nov 2020.
2) Your photography business is in Brooklyn and "Lenny Murray" is in Brooklyn. "Lenny's Reputation Score is 21%, which is Below the National Average."
3) Does 192.168.10.1 look familiar? Do you understand how IP addresses can be compared? ShotgunWorld has both IP addresses.

jdemetrio0192 on 17 Nov 2020 wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm a bit new here so let me know if there's anything I can do better.
So, about a week or two ago I picked up a Mossberg 500. It is an older model, one with retaining clips on the magazine tube. It came with a trap barrel, not risen, and it has no manufacturer engravings. All that is engraved in the barrel is
"Chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 in. shells"
"12 gauge 30 inch full choke Trap"
"Made In USA"
Does anybody know if Mossberg didn't put their logo on some of their barrels? I've switched this barrel out with a slug barrel, so now I just have this sitting in my workbench.

LennyMurray on 18 Nov 2020 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a question for you
I bought a Mossberg 500 about a week or two ago. This is an older model, one that has retaining clips on the magazine tube. It came with a trap barrel, not upgraded and no manufacturer engraving.
Does anyone know if Mossberg put his logos on some of his barrels? can you help me
Last edited by LennyMurray on Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

To steal a big election.
Joe fell down
And lost his Crown,