ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone own a Greener?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My elderly neighbor inherited a W W Greener shotgun from his father many years ago. He allowed me to handle it and I was more than impressed. He will not sell it but intends to bequest it to his grandson. Do any of you own a Greener? How does it compare to other high end doubles? If you inherited one would you take it afield or sell it and buy something else?

Post subject: Re: Anyone own a Greener?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

I never heard of them and you had me curious so I looked them up: http://www.wwgreener.com

Pretty fancy guns and I noticed some odd bores, 24 and 32 were ones that jumped out to me. Also new guns in Damascus barrels.

I am curious and will be following this thread for comments.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:36 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I never heard of them and you had me curious
Gracious me, whatever next?

John Wayne in "Big Jake " refers to his Greeners before wreaking mayhem on his opponents.

To answer Ezra, yes I own two Greeners, and let a third go some years back, I now suffer from sellers remorse. I made a handsome profit on it right enough, but I'd much rather still have it in the cabinet. It was a pigeon gun, built for live pigeon shooting; 32 inch barrel, full and full, 2 3/4" 12 bore, relatively heavy, and as might be expected, a real wood pigeon killer from a hide or roost shooting.

I knew the Greener factory in Birmingham as a little boy and was occasionally allowed to slip in the side door. It was a magnificent Victorian building and still stands. What's left of Greeeners now operates out of Hagley Hall, a minor stately home on the outskirts of the city. I've been there a few times.

Geeners were never truly "high end" such as Purdey, Laing, Aitkin, Boss and those guys, but their guns equalled anything else in terms of quality of build, innovative design and sheer robustness and longevity. There was a lot of snobbery around in those days, and a Birmingham manufacturer wasn't quite the the thing, at least not in the early days. Later, they were right at the pinnacle.

A cousin had a Greener built for him in the mid sixties; it was a thing of beauty.

If I get an invitation to a driven shoot I take a Greener, but never onto the marsh or a knockabout rough shoot.

WW Greener hisself was a most interesting man, a real Victorian entrepreneur red in tooth and claw, and wrote "The Gun And it's Development" which should be on every sportsman's shelf. It's certainly on mine.

Last edited by eugene molloy on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Jake McCandles owned a pair.

Greeners are not on my union card but, the side safety on some models aside, today they range into the dreaded top tier and few would chase them from the gun rack.

I would shoot the bluing off ifin I had one.
I would only sell it if it's particulars found no match with me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:41 pm 
Crown Grade

The side safety is a joy to use; once you've handled a Greener you wonder why anyone put safeties on the top tang.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Although I have not owned any, I have shot one owned by a friend, and lusted after a couple at gun shows. Greener is one of the oldest names in gunmaking. Their guns range from rather simple to very elegant but are all well made and quite strong with the addition of his cross bolt through a rib extension.

Too bad he won't sell it to you because who knows if his grandson will appreciate it. I would guess probably not. The only negative about them is they often put the safety in an awkward position high up on the left side of the stocks "cheek" panel. Not an intuitive placement. If you look at the first gun in the listing at the link below, you will see that safety placement.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... _p1_o6.cfm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had one with the side safety. Sold it about 3 months ago and already kicking myself for doing so.
Also had a hammer gun that I sold about 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:28 pm 
Field Grade

The side safety is not a problem after using it on clays about 10 targets in i was used to it and found no problem with it since. It is now as intuitive as a tang safety. Well made and well balanced gun that feels very lively in the hands.