ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baikal IZH 12
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

I asked on the Baikal forum as well but I see no one has been on there in about a month so thought I'd ask here. Does anybody know if the older Baikal IZH 12 over/under was available without any checkering? A fellow has one for sale. It has no checkering so I am suspicious. I only found phots of one IZH 12 and it had checkering. The fellow that has the gun said he bought it years ago from an estate and it has been sitting in his safe ever since. So I was wondering if anyone knew if the early ones might have been offered without checkering?

Post subject: Re: Baikal IZH 12
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

well I doubt someone put 300 dollars worth of wood on a 79 dollar shot gun.
I'd also be more surprised if it had checkering.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

You didn't read my complete post. You commented you would be surprised if these guns had checkering. Yes they did have. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows if maybe some of the early ones might have been available without checkering as well. By the way, for a $79.00 gun it has very nice wood.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’d say anything is possible.

Simpson Ltd used to have a bunch of old Baikal shotguns for sale. You might look on there and see if you can find anything similar. Also, a google image search might be helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

I will check on Simpsons. Thanks. I did try a google image search but didn't find any model 12's. The only photos I found were of a well used one on an icollector auction and it had checkering. The fellow that has the gun I am asking about says it sure isn't indicative of having the checkering sanded away. Generally it requires quite a bit of sanding to remove all the checkering. From what I can see, the metal sure is not proud of where the wood meets the receiver, or where the pistol grip cap attaches.

Just had a look on Simpsons. They have pics of one model IZH 12. It also has checkering so I'm thinking the checkering has likely been sanded.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:15 am 
Presentation Grade

I have seen them without checkering. It is also possible the owner or previous owner had stock work done to try to get it to fit a human being. Good solid actions, but I can't imagine who the Russians imagined that stock would fit on this planet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

shotar wrote:
I have seen them without checkering. It is also possible the owner or previous owner had stock work done to try to get it to fit a human being. Good solid actions, but I can't imagine who the Russians imagined that stock would fit on this planet.

The older models aren’t as bad as the newer ones.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

shotar wrote:

Too funny. I actually have an IZH 27 from the 70's. I have no complaints how that gun fits me and it has been a good gun.