ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun sales continue to increase, hunter numbers decline......
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am 
Tournament Grade

What’s up with that? If gun sales are up then logically there are more people getting into shooting. Generally speaking, license sales are declining nationwide and have been for a number of years. How is your neck of the woods doing? What are the reasons for the decline?

Post subject: Re: Gun sales continue to increase, hunter numbers decline..
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 am 
Crown Grade

Way down, except for deer season. Suburban sprawl; video games, etc. occupying young men's spare time.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:41 am 
Crown Grade

Far fewer young people raised in the woods and fields than previous generations. Kids don`t even just play in general like they did. When you say, " Gun sales are up ", what kinds of guns? That would be important to know to put your question into the proper context.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

Also the incessant "Guns Are Bad!" propaganda. People actually believe stuff they hear a million times or so.

Migration from rural areas to the big cities hasn't helped, either.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:05 am 
Crown Grade

Hunting, as well as sport shooting numbers are going the wrong way.....

People panic buying guns, most of which will never see more than a few rounds if any through them, are what’s inflating the ‘gun ownership’ numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The vast majority of guns are sold to:
1) people who like to shoot
2) people who like guns and like buying guns
3) people concerned about personal security or home defence

As somebody who used to sell guns for a living, i can tell you that hunters make up a diminishing percentage of gun buyers. Also, true hunters aren’t very good customers. They tend to be “one and done.” Gun sellers today depend on the gun-a-month (week) club buyers. The best customers buy a LOT of guns.

Ask almost any gun shop and they can point to customers who have 3-4 4473 forms every month. Those people may hunt occasionally, but that’s not why they’re buying all those guns. Many of them don’t even shoot that much. Yeah, they may take that new gun to the range a time or two and then is on to the next gun.

Last edited by Bladeswitcher on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:23 am 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
Hunting, as well as sport shooting numbers are going the wrong way.....

People panic buying guns, most of which will never see more than a few rounds if any through them, are what’s inflating the ‘gun ownership’ numbers.

Are you sure sport shooting numbers are going down?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:31 am 
Crown Grade

I believe they are. The various organizations put on a brave face, and talk about ‘new membership’ numbers, but I believe they’re a bit of an illusion.

Much as I’d really like to believe otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rooster booster wrote:
I believe they are. The various organizations put on a brave face, and talk about ‘new membership’ numbers, but I believe they’re a bit of an illusion.

Much as I’d really like to believe otherwise.

We hardly ever see new faces at the two shotgun clubs i shoot at. Just the same old men. But then again, there’s more barriers to entering the shotgun sports than there is to shooting handguns or rifles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:51 am 
Tournament Grade

The local trap/skeet range here consists mostly of older shooters. I see almost zero new interest.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Recreational plinking, with all types of guns, including clays looks to be rising.......but that’s usually a few times, then done.

Regular sport shooting, sanctioned or not is decreasing across the board. I think the reason is access, harder and harder to find a place to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rooster booster wrote:
V
Regular sport shooting, sanctioned or not is decreasing across the board. I think the reason is access, harder and harder to find a place to do it.

Young people look for recreation on a screen. Ironically, a lot of the new young shooters got interested by playing video games. Thus, the popularity of tactical style firearms.

Last edited by Bladeswitcher on Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:

Young people look for recreation on a screen.

Sadly, you’re right. It’s a different world, things change, and that’s just the way it works.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All types of guns are in short supply, or you can't even get one. A5, Maxus of all types, pumps, O/U's, the only guns that are available are high end guns, in the thousands of dollars. Our SC, trap, and skeet fields are full with young and old shooters. You would be hard pressed to find ammo for your old daisy BB gun here. The club has pallets of the Browning shells, but only for sale if you shoot them there, if you shoot SC, you can get 4 boxes. I have even quit hunting for the most part, clay targets are what I shoot. I don't have to fetch them, clean them, or eat them, much easier :!: :!:

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:01 pm 
Crown Grade

It's not a logical assumption that people buy guns because they are into shooting. A large majority (67%) buy guns for personal protection and have no interest in hunting or recreational shooting.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/22/key-takeaways-on-americans-views-of-guns-and-gun-ownership/

There are many many reasons for declines in hunters and recreational shooters.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here in NY hunting license sales were significantly up this year "The New York Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Basil Seggos reported record-breaking sales for upcoming seasons. Already for 2020, sales for big game hunting and trapping licenses and Deer Management Permits are triple the opening day rate for 2019."

My Sportsman's Club has a waiting list to join and we saw more young shooters this year than in years past. A friend has a small gun shop and he can't keep guns on the shelf, most are sporting rifles and shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:33 pm 
Crown Grade

That’s excellent news.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hunting and shooting are expensive.

20 years ago I could knock on any door to get on land for bird hunting, now they rarely consider it without a $50 bill attached to it. But I still get out and knock on those doors, because I do get some that say yes and I build those relationships offering free help at harvest time, fixing fence or other things just so my children get the same chances I get.

It is quickly become a pay to play world in hunting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Gun sales are up because of the impending possible civil war; the sales are up for handguns, defensive rifles and shotguns, long distance rifle shooting, but not target shotguns

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:51 pm 
Crown Grade

twohigh wrote:
Here in NY hunting license sales were significantly up this year "The New York Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Basil Seggos reported record-breaking sales for upcoming seasons. Already for 2020, sales for big game hunting and trapping licenses and Deer Management Permits are triple the opening day rate for 2019."

My Sportsman's Club has a waiting list to join and we saw more young shooters this year than in years past. A friend has a small gun shop and he can't keep guns on the shelf, most are sporting rifles and shotguns.

That`s good and quite interesting considering the seemingly contradictory position on the part of the NY political structure when it comes to firearms.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)