ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca over under
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was in Cabelas and this shotgun caught my eye. It was a 20ga Ithaca model 600 over under. It had a price of $1200.What can you tell me about it? What is the approx. age etc.?

Post subject: Re: Ithaca over under
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It was made by SKB for Ithaca from 1965 to 1978.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wrfish wrote:
I was in Cabelas and this shotgun caught my eye. It was a 20ga Ithaca model 600 over under. It had a price of $1200.What can you tell me about it? What is the approx. age etc.?

That's pretty rich for an SKB. Look on Gunbroker. You could probably find a similar gun for $900 or less.

BTW, Ithaca was the importer. The gun was made by SKB in Japan. These are nice shotguns. Well made and reliable. Production has ceased and the SKB name is now applied to guns made in Turkey, but the importers have a extensive stash of parts for the old Japanese guns.

The Model 600 was the mid-level gun. More engraving and better wood than the model 500, but less than the model 700 (under the hood, they're all the same and parts are interchangeable). Later models with a 5 at the end of the model number generally had screw-in chokes (i.e. 505, 585, 685)

ETA: I've got a 20 gauge SKB 700. It's a nice gun. It's definitely a lighter gun than my 20Ga Browning CXS. I don't hunt, but I imagine my SKB would make a dandy upland game gun. Light enough to carry and it handles nice. Mine is a 28-inch barrel gun and came from the factory with mod/full chokes. I had the barrels opened up a bit on mine to about IC/Mod. Typically, 26 inch barreled guns were IC/Mod or Sk/Sk from the factory. Mine doesn't get much use anymore but I keep it around just because it's so pretty . . . :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the replies. I never even thought about the chokes and now that you mention it a gun that old will have fixed chokes.I shoot mainly skeet so it would be of little use for that.I will take a pass on it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wrfish wrote:
I shoot mainly skeet so it would be of little use for that.I will take a pass on it.

Since you mainly shoot skeet, then perhaps interchangeable chokes aren't important. You could have Mike Orlen open the barrels to skeet/skeet and call it done. Just a thought . . .

But yeah, at $1,200 you have a lot of other options, including several good used guns that have screw-in chokes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sounds quite high for that gun, but pre bass pro, Cabelas would negotiate on used guns.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Price may not be that out of line for a 20 gauge in excellent condition. 12 gauge SKB 600s are bringing around $700 on Gunbroker, but 20 gauges are selling for just over $1000.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

My experience is that they are great field guns but don’t seem to hold up to constant pounding by skeet or trap shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bamaskeetshooter wrote:
My experience is that they are great field guns but don’t seem to hold up to constant pounding by skeet or trap shooting.

You could be right about that, high volume shooting does take it's toll. I have an Ithaca SKB M700 that I just had some work done on. It broke a hammer shooting skeet. SKB fixed it for me and did it fast and cheap. It broke a hammer and they replaced it, which is a testament to their having a pretty good supply of parts, considering the gun is way out of production, and was about 50 years old. Actually most of my guns are out of production now but most still have parts available. If you can keep your cost down on an old SKB O/U it might be worthwhile, but I would definitely not pay much for one today.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:01 am 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
I shoot mainly skeet so it would be of little use for that.I will take a pass on it.
IMHO, you made a wise decision to pass on it. I have a Model 500 20 GA given to me for Christmas in 1968. It has the IC/M chokes on 26" barrels. I have taken countless numbers of geese, ducks, quail, doves, pheasants, grouse, and woodcock with it. I had it repaired once in the early 2000s (faulty opening lever). It is still my favorite upland game bird shotgun.

We used to have a Skeet shooter that had a 12 GA Model 700 tubed for registered Skeet and within 5 years had to have the breach face repaired because of pitting around both firing pin holes. From his experience, I would say that they are not the best choice for a 'use-every-week' clay target gun. From my experience, I would say they make a very good choice for a hunting gun.

Retired

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:22 am 
Crown Grade

Excellent field guns. My 500 has seen many dove fields and quail covers since ‘74 when I got it. Still functions like the day I bought it. High volume target gun? Probably not.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)