ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Randy Wakeman, Browning 2021 catalog
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi Randy,
Thank you for sending information on the "I love my Browning" site. The Maxus looks different. They call it Maxus II. The last page only goes to 15. We need the second half the catalog to receive details on the new shogun. For pages beyond 15, I copied the address, sent it, alas, no can do. How?

Post subject: Re: Randy Wakeman, Browning 2021 catalog
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:15 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

What I have is 74 pages . . . the full catalog isn't done yet (200 pages). When it is, Browning will have it on their website and of course update their website as well.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

I hope they don't change the internal operation of the Maxus . I have one that is the 3 1/2 inch Stalker and I never had a gas gun that would shoot anything I put in it and was that reliable.

I have actually shot some 3/4 ounce 1150 FPS hand loads out of it without a single hiccup and I can go 500 or more rounds before I have to clean it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Browning is is just trying to create some interest in the Maxus II. Companies do that all the time,release a little information about a new or upgraded product.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:58 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

moocher wrote:
I hope they don't change the internal operation of the Maxus .

Do you think the Maxus is beyond improvement?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:26 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

trappertom wrote:
Thank you for sending information on the "I love my Browning" site. The Maxus looks different. They call it Maxus II.

Calling it the Maxus II is quite a stretch. That runs along the lines of the "light refresh" that happens every year from automakers. Sadly, the Maxus II does not come with blind side warning, a heated forearm, or Android Auto. :lol:

From day one, some folks have disliked the forearm. There were problems with loose Maxus forearms for a good long while. Using a threaded magazine tube ends that.

The buttstock is pathetic. The "feature" is that is adjustable with a hacksaw, just like the SX4. To adjust the length of pull, you are supposed to take it to a gunsmith, so he / she can cut it down with a "gunsmith's hacksaw"-- apparently, a more accurate way to shave off plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am still disappointed with the stock that Browning put on my SX3. It’s too small and nothing but a flimsy thin piece of plastic that could have been made by Mattel Toy Co.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:09 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

casonet wrote:
I am still disappointed with the stock that Browning put on my SX3. It’s too small and nothing but a flimsy thin piece of plastic that could have been made by Mattel Toy Co.

Well, I can hardly condemn Browning for that. Most all plastic (synthetic, technopolymer, whatever) stocks are blow-molded thermoplastics. Melt the little beads, inject it into the mold, and out comes a Bic lighter, a shotgun stock, or a garbage can lid. Bic lighters are the highest quality, for they don't have the nasty raised visible mold lines.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Doesn’t Browning design and control the stocks that go on their products?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

casonet wrote:
Doesn’t Browning design and control the stocks that go on their products?

Sometimes. Herstal Group is the owner, and I suppose the part of Herstal that runs Vianna, Portugal does. Somebody made the decision to go with "Dura-Touch" that did not end well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I actually liked the Dura Touch. The replacement is what I have a beef with

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:02 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Class-action lawsuits aren't that good for business.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Randy- I don't think anything is beyond being made somewhat better. But I subscribe to the theory that if it works fine don't fix it.

I am sorry that you don't like the Maxus, but I have owned almost every other major brand gas gun and I like it the best by far.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just bought a Maxus Ultimate with a 28" tube. I have had two others, one a plain Jane that I shot well. When the rage for longer barrels swept me, I ordered one with a 30" pipe. Alas, it spoiled the balance; it was front heavy. Now with the 28" again, I'm good. Randy, would you type in the full Browning email address so we can see more of the catalog? Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:01 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

moocher wrote:
Randy- I don't think anything is beyond being made somewhat better. But I subscribe to the theory that if it works fine don't fix it.

I am sorry that you don't like the Maxus, but I have owned almost every other major brand gas gun and I like it the best by far.

Actually, no . . . I've reviewed several Maxus models and all of them deserved and received very good, positive reviews. It hardly means that it can't be improved. The receiver is 9.4 inches long, ridiculously long for a 3 inch gun much less a target gun-- it was a choice Herstal Group made, as the Maxus was designed to be a 3-1/2 inch gun from the start. All gauges other than 12 gauge were ignored, and that's also a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As good as the Maxus is, a 20 Ga Maxus would be a no-brainer, but I guess the powers that be don't want to make one. The same goes for a 20 Ga A5. I would really like to see a 16 Ga Maxus also.

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think the powers that be are not the hold up so much as "the powers that buy".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

S.davis wrote:
I think the powers that be are not the hold up so much as "the powers that buy".

With the inventory levels right now, the powers that buy would more than likely embrace a 20 Ga Maxus, and A5, and a 16 Ga Maxus.

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

If I could I would but the whole Maxus set, maxus II in 12, 16 & 20.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:48 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a 3 1/2 inch Plastic Stalker and what I like most about it is that it shoots anything I put thru it.

I have even shot 1150 FPS 3/4th oz. handloads and it functioned even with them.

I broke it in brand new shooting 1 1/4 oz. pigeon loads on box birds and it has worked well on everything since then.