ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most Reliable / Best Priced 12 Gauge Semi-Auto...?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Anyone have Good Luck W/ 12 Gauge Semi-Auto's, at a Good Reasonable...(600.00/ less)...Price...New, or Used...? Thanks...I'm slowly looking...AirWolf in fl.. :D

Post subject: Re: Most Reliable / Best Priced 12 Gauge Semi-Auto...?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remington 1100

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Tristar Viper G2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Beretta A300. Dunn’s has been advertising the black plastic stocked version for about six bills.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:20 pm 
Crown Grade

AirWolf49 wrote:
Anyone have Good Luck W/ 12 Gauge Semi-Auto's, at a Good Reasonable...(600.00/ less)...Price...New, or Used...? Thanks...I'm slowly looking...AirWolf in fl.. :D

What will be your primary use?

I like this line.

https://weatherby.com/store/sa-08-upland/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:35 pm 
Limited Edition

Tristar G2 or Beretta A300. I own both and both are dead reliable. Best two Semi Autos on the market for that kind off money. But that's just my opinion :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:28 am 
Limited Edition

Beretta A300 made in USA. Why support foreign manufacturers when there is a competitively priced American made product available?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:49 am 
Utility Grade

If you can get a Browning A5 used for that, I'd go there. But you probably can't find one near that price. Otherwise, go with the Beretta A300 Outlander. I have one New in Box that I can sell you for $650 + shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:43 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks, to All you that Responded...I found a C + Condition Savage775A, at the local pawn shop...$340.00 / out the door...Gonna start there, see how it goes, I appreciate this site..Airwolf in FL..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

AirWolf49 wrote:
Thanks, to All you that Responded...I found a C + Condition Savage775A, at the local pawn shop...$340.00 / out the door...Gonna start there, see how it goes, I appreciate this site..Airwolf in FL..

Well, so much for "slowly looking" . . . One day and done.

In any case, the Savage 775 is an interesting choice.

On a positive note, the 775 is basically a clone of the Remington 11, which is a time-tested gun and essentially similar to the Browning A5. If you search the Shotgun World Forum, you'll see a lot of the old hands expressing fondness for the Savage version of the Browning recoil-operated shotgun pattern. That's good.

On the other hand, it's a dated gun . . . the basic design is a century old. There have been many advances since this gun was created. In fact, nearly every recommendation you received was for a more modern gun. Older guns still kill birds, but don't offer the versatility -- or perhaps the reliability -- of modern guns. Certainly, there will not be as much support, such as parts or repair facilities, for a 60-75-year-old gun. Older guns tend to be ideally suited for just a few pursuits, while modern guns (with screw-in chokes and more forgiving mechanisms) tend to be well-suited for many types of targets, ammo, etc.

So, there are pluses and minus to your choice. But that's neither here nor there. You've made your choice. You'll definitely learn from this gun, if you use it. And you'll know more as a result. That's a good thing, too.

Tell us about the gun: specifically barrel length and choke. These configuration details will reveal what roles this particular gun is well suited for. Also, how do you intend to use the gun? What will you do with it? Yes, it's a bit late for those questions, but you've got me curious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

what he really wanted was the least expensive. BUT he didn't want to say that.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bladeswitcher wrote:
On the other hand, it's a dated gun . . . the basic design is a century old. There have been many advances since this gun was created.

The basic design of women is somewhat more than a century, but I doubt there's a new and improved model available. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DanG wrote:
Bladeswitcher wrote:
On the other hand, it's a dated gun . . . the basic design is a century old. There have been many advances since this gun was created.

The basic design of women is somewhat more than a century, but I doubt there's a new and improved model available. 8)

Really? Speaking only for myself, i prefer the wimmenz of this era to those of my grandparents generation, much less those of hundreds of years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:30 pm 
Utility Grade

WEll....This particular775A...is...28" Fixed MOD., 2-star stamped Barrel..serial #'s in the 270000 range...Just REALLY liked it...! ...I primarily Hunt Crows / Pheasants/Chuker / Quail with it...Probably a , DUCK or 2...This Savage to me, has...Class,.. as the older ones do...1st older SEMI-Auto I've owned in a while...Bought the GunDigest Repair Manual for Shotguns...Gonna try and Learn something...NO more Gunsmiths for me...DIY type guy, all the way....Should be a FUN project..!!! I, can ALWAY's Go out and buy a new Beretta A300, or Weatherby , or Tri-Star Viper...wheres the challenge, there...?...I Really like the older Classic Shotguns...Next stop...Browning A5, in 12 gauge...! thanks, for ALL your Input Guy's... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Well said. Congratulations. {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Blade, when I was growing up in the 1940s, I never saw a woman's knees or cleavage. Long dresses and high blouses. Amazing how the times have changed. Victoria's has no more Secrets so they have my permission to change their name to Victoria's Lady's Shop.

Back to the topic at hand I like the long recoil actions. They are cheap and ultra reliable. I have been using them most of my adult life, almost 70 years. Never had a problem. The old Franchi 48 is my choice. Easy to find and fairly inexpensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

evbutler wrote:

Back to the topic at hand I like the long recoil actions. They are cheap and ultra reliable. I have been using them most of my adult life, almost 70 years. Never had a problem. The old Franchi 48 is my choice. Easy to find and fairly inexpensive.

I own four Remington 11-48 shotguns, but when the OP asked for a recommendation on a good semi-auto shotgun under $600, I recommended a Remington 1100. I feel it's a better choice. (I also think any of the Berettas or CZ/Tri-Star/etc. would have been good choices.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:59 pm 
Utility Grade

SO Many Shotguns...So little Time, better start my collection NOW..! Like the Franchi AL-48..in 12 Gauge.. :D .Nice, light, Non-gas Recoil System...EZ clean. Around $600.00.... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:45 am 
Utility Grade

!!!! Savage 775A Doing WELL..!!! 3 Shots, quick NO problem...LubricateALL Rails, that SLIDE W 3-in-1 lightly...Barrel Slides, Bolt carrier RESTS on Rails, also...MAKE Sure your Friction Rings, are installed properly, for AMMO used...Diagram available on Bing Search...So Far, So good....love this 12 gauge...! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:53 am 
Tournament Grade

AirWolf49 wrote:
WEll....This particular775A...is...28" Fixed MOD., 2-star stamped Barrel..serial #'s in the 270000 range...Just REALLY liked it...! ...Probably a , DUCK or 2...
How old is this specific gun? Is the barrel safe for steel shot?