ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SKB soft case
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm looking at a new break down case for my Winchester 101 with 28" barrels + extended chokes. The case I"m looking at is the SKB soft case. The reviews are somewhat mixed and I'm up in the air about buying one. I am currently using an all leather case that I've had for over 20 years. The club I just joined would not be kind to that case which is why I'm thinking of the SKB. Any input would be appreciated.

I'm Bill but my friends just call me ... Bill

Post subject: Re: SKB soft case
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have two of the SKB break down soft shotgun cases and love them, they protect my Merkel's during transportation to the field and range. Twice I have shipped a shotgun from AZ to AL for repair, and they afforded enough rigidity and protection so the guns arrived in as shipped condition and returned in same condition. They sure beat a rigid case for shipping and afford great protection for the guns, cases are very well made.

Gene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

If it's this one...
https://www.amazon.com/SKB-Break-down-S ... 246&sr=8-2
...my grandson has one and while it works, it's a pretty clunky/bulky design.

For a few more bucks, I much prefer this one...

https://www.amazon.com/SportLock-Cases- ... 34&sr=8-11
...I have a couple of these and have had no isssues with them.

I also have an Uncle Mike's one that I like better than the SKB. Not as beefy but it'll get 'er done.
https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Unde ... 38&sr=8-19

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
If it's this one...
https://www.amazon.com/SKB-Break-down-S ... 246&sr=8-2
...my grandson has one and while it works, it's a pretty clunky/bulky design . . .

Plus, it gets old having to run the zipper all the way around the case just to get it open.

Fairly good protection, though. You're basically encasing your gun in Styrofoam.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm concerned about the Birchwood Casey case. They don't have a reputation as being great quality and I would rather have a softer case that can take more of a beating while still protecting my gun.

The zipper on the SKB can be a pain but are there any other alternatives in that price range?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:33 pm 
Field Grade

I own a browning hard case and the skb soft case, I like the skb case better. the skb is lighter weight, and better quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've a SKB soft case for about 4 yrs now. It's holding up well and think it's a good case for the money. I paid $52.00 delivered from Amazon. JMO, I would not hesitate to recommend them. Plus, if you don't like it, you can send it back to amazon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:47 am 
Presentation Grade

If your gun fits, the SKB hybrid cases are great. They're among the lightest and most protective options around. Unlike some of the heavier hard cases that merely have velvet covered wood dividers that are glued in place, the SKB has impact-absorbing styrofoam...there's a reason why motorcycle helmets use the stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:17 am 
Tournament Grade

The Uncle Mike's case is a nice alternative but I don't believe it gives the same protection that the SKB does. After reading the replies here and my on-line search, I'm coming to the conclusion that the SKB is the way to go. I missed one on ebay last month for $59 and free shipping. Amazon has it for $89 and since I'm a Prime member, I get free shipping, as well as free return, if I don't like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all the input. I just ordered the SKB and it will be here on Thursday. It came to $94 with tax and free shipping. Now I need another shotgun to fill it up (LOL)!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Solid Hit wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I just ordered the SKB and it will be here on Thursday. It came to $94 with tax and free shipping. Now I need another shotgun to fill it up (LOL)!

I hate it when that happens. . . (Who am I kidding?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

The case got here today and I took it to the range this afternoon. It is bulkier then my leather case but worked very well. Thanks for the input - now I've got to find a new shotgun!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:09 pm 
Crown Grade

I know you already purchased one, but if anyone is looking for a compact break-down soft case in the future these from Midway USA are a fantastic bargain.

I purchased one and liked it so much I purchased another.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020686021

I also use a thin gun sock inside the case for added protection. Some people also use these inside of hard cases.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048KG7AA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:12 am 
Tournament Grade

I like those cases a lot but, to me. they don't offer any real protection. What I like about the SKB is that I can put it in the back of my SUV and toss my range bag on top without having to worry about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Solid Hit wrote:
I like those cases a lot but, to me. they don't offer any real protection. What I like about the SKB is that I can put it in the back of my SUV and toss my range bag on top without having to worry about it.

You are mistaken. The padding is very thick and they offer considerable protection and I would say nearly as much, if not as much, protection as what is provided by the SKB soft sided case. I have no concerns putting other guns and shooting bags on top and have done so on many occasions occasions.

I wouldn't trust having a hunting dog walking across the top or a very heavy object sitting on top, but I would not trust the protection of the SKB soft case in those situations either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

OK, I filled the new SKB case with a Franchi Instinct Sporting ll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I've had a SKB soft case for a couple of years and find it ideal. While its a little bulky, its light and completely protects a shotgun. Paid about $60 for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I have two of the SKB Hybrids for my 12 and 20 gauge Beretta 686's. A big plus for me is they are light weight compared to a true hard case and those outside storage pouches are very handy. In my 12 gauge they proved space to store the tools for my Briley tubes plus chokes for both tubes and barrel. Note have both flush and extended chokes for both shotguns. Have over 2 years of use on both cases and neither are showing any indication of wearing thru the rip stop covering. As for the zipper closure, doing anything else would likely result in this hybrid cases becoming a hard case.

PS; and some point the 12 gauge will likely get an Americase Lightweight Skeet case but currently that isn't in the budget.