ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A5 Stalker vs Beretta A300 Outlander
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:59 am 
Utility Grade

Hi Guys - new to the forum so go easy.

I've got a used Browning A5 Stalker in almost new condition and I also have a brand new Beretta A300 Outlander. My question is, I want to keep one and sell one. Which one should I keep and which one should I sell? Do you have experience with either or both of them? What do you think their values are?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Browning A5 Stalker vs Beretta A300 Outlander
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've never had a hard time deciding to sell a gun - if I shoot it well I keep it, guns I don't shoot well go away.

If you shoot them both equally well but need the cash, I'd sell the Browning, not because there's anything wrong with it but because 1) I'd expect the Browning to bring more money, and 2) everyone seems to like their A300.

But your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is this a new A5 stalker or one of the original A5 stalker made about 30 years ago? They will both bring good money. Which one fits you better?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

The Beretta is brand new and I don't want to use it and lower the value. If it's just as nice a gun as the A5, I'd rather keep it and sell the A5. Just wondering what people's thought were - one versus the other.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:52 am 
Presentation Grade

I’d suggest keeping the A300. Experience with mine has been superior. I have well over 5k shells through the gun and have never had a malfunction of any type. The gun keeps working even when dirty. At one point I had well over 2k shells through it before cleaning it. I didn’t need to clean it even then, but I just felt guilty not cleaning it. I’ve shot 7/8 oz through 3 inch through the A300 and all worked well. It’s also a soft recoiling gun.

I don’t own or even know someone with the new A5. If it’s anything like its predecessor it will have noticeably more recoil than the A300, but that is an assumption.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:21 am 
Crown Grade

And that's a poor assumption Dward.

You've apparently shot Auto-5's that have been well slathered in oil so the braking is ineffective or with 60 year old original springs still in them, so the braking is weak.

'Sokay though, I've come to find out MOST people have only shot poorly maintained Automatic 5's, because they just run, and run, and run, and these are what the entire breed is judged upon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

You're not likely to reduce the value of either much at this point unless you abuse them.

Assuming it's a new A5, both are current production widely available guns. Neither ha much collector or exclusivity value. Re-selling a NIB A300 isn't going to be much different than selling a used but clean one. To the extent it's different it might be 10s of dollars.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
And that's a poor assumption Dward.

You've apparently shot Auto-5's that have been well slathered in oil so the braking is ineffective or with 60 year old original springs still in them, so the braking is weak.

'Sokay though, I've come to find out MOST people have only shot poorly maintained Automatic 5's, because they just run, and run, and run, and these are what the entire breed is judged upon.

As you don't know me your assumption of my experience is questionable. My assumption, that you have deemed poor, is a hypothesis, not opinion. The hypothesis would need to be tested to determine the value. What can you offer in terms of data regarding the new Auto 5 that the OP was asking for?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:18 pm 
Crown Grade

I did not offer the OP data, did I.

I offered YOU data, for your "hypothesis", which is the same fallacy requoted all around the internet, about how "hard kicking" Automatic 5's supposedly are.
An internet full of oil-soaked cracked fore-ends and sub-7" sacked out (exhausted, 40 years overdue for replacement) recoil springs (and lets not forget all those South American dove guns that haven't seen a braking/friction ring assembly for 50 or 60 years, and kick like mad mules).

That vs. the 2 maintained ones I shoot regularly, which are the softest kickers of every 12-gauge in my harem, which includes gas guns, civiolani inertials, and crackbarrels.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tinker14125 wrote:
Hi Guys - new to the forum so go easy.

I've got a used Browning A5 Stalker in almost new condition and I also have a brand new Beretta A300 Outlander. My question is, I want to keep one and sell one. Which one should I keep and which one should I sell? Do you have experience with either or both of them? What do you think their values are?

Thanks!

Okay, sounds like a very unusual question, so I will respond.

Flip a coin, heads I sell the Browning, tails ........

Then sell whichever one. The reason is - right now prices of guns are up through the roof. It is time to sell, so sell something, and it will bring the top dollar.
I have sold a number of guns on gunbroker over the past month, and I have got way more than I expected, but this is not permanent. Soon you may not be able to give these away.

So, if you sell now you will make money, then you can shoot the other gun. Whichever one it is makes not much difference. You can probably figure out how to use it regardless.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:51 am 
Presentation Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
I did not offer the OP data, did I.

I offered YOU data, for your "hypothesis", which is the same fallacy requoted all around the internet, about how "hard kicking" Automatic 5's supposedly are.
An internet full of oil-soaked cracked fore-ends and sub-7" sacked out (exhausted, 40 years overdue for replacement) recoil springs (and lets not forget all those South American dove guns that haven't seen a braking/friction ring assembly for 50 or 60 years, and kick like mad mules).

That vs. the 2 maintained ones I shoot regularly, which are the softest kickers of every 12-gauge in my harem, which includes gas guns, civiolani inertials, and crackbarrels.

Owning 2 old model 12 gauge A5s currently, one mag and the other 2 3/4 in, I can easily reflect on the levels of felt recoil of each and compare that to my A300. But, as stated I do not own a new A5 so, therefore, only assume that there may be a relationship to the older guns. It is obvious to the casual reader I may be wrong in my assumption. But, the facts are still unknown. However, the object of the exercise was to answer the OPs question. Can you add to the conversation without criticism of my assumption?