ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Youtube has flagged my content as inappropriate for chil
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Why any adult would give two $hit$ about any social media is a puzzlement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dalee100 wrote:
Hi,

Don't be so quick to don the persecution sackcloth and ashes. This isn't just firearm related.

You do understand that these types of decisions are done with mathematical algorithms that are far from perfect. No human eye even looks at your video to decide to tag it. It's all done by computer math. Nor could goggle/youtube hire enough human eyes to do the job due the sheer volume of videos posted each day from around the world.

Even creative artists that make and own their own content get copyright strikes and their videos/music automatically taken down by these same algorithms that tagged your content. And they have no more recourse than you. And by sheer volume there is a whole lot more of that type of content than firearms content.

Be angry all you want, the system needs to be better. But don't feel special about it - you are far from the first and you won't be the last.

except that I appealed the decision, pointing out that no guns are visible in the video, only a piece of wood and an old Italian master craftsman with a rasp, and the appeal has been denied.

at this point, a review of a red vs. green fiber optic front sight in which the presenter never once shows a complete gun, only the sights themselves, can be banned by youtube as inappropriate for children.

Try again.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

The appeal process is arguably worse. When the New York Philharmonic gets a copyright strike against a video of a performance they did, own and uploaded to youtube and still couldn't get it overturned on appeal, do you think the rules and application of those rules are written and carried out because they care about your video or are they there to protect google/youtube from lawsuits? Don't feel so special. They are just protecting their bottom line. It's cheaper to ignore you than it is for them to do something.

This has been an issue with content creators no matter the subject matter for years now. The appeal process hasn't worked as advertised since day one. Nor will it ever work in your favor.

Ain't the free market great?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster said, "Why any adult would give two $hits about any social media is a puzzlement."

If it were just social discourse, it wouldn't matter. The problem is it has become our primary means of communication. It is not just mom talking to grandma or a girlfriend about the kids anymore. It is used to control what you can hear so they can control what you think & buy, as well as politics. People are getting tired of the BS. They are digging their graves as people are turning to alternative platforms. "Goodby Jack!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:14 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree with censorship, especially mindless censorship being BS.

But I feel sorry for anyone feeling social media is their ‘main’ form of communication. Only for the sheep.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:

I don't even have a facebook account but I think every single adult should "give two $hit$" about social media censorship.

Social media has replaced phone calls and sending letters via pony express for most adults younger than about 45. It has become a primary means of communication for many and it allows them to communicate in mass. Communication influences individual beliefs and behavior. When people repeatedly only hear one side of the debate that is the side they will eventually believe and more and more will take that side because there is no more opposing views to convince some of a different view.

Whether you like it or not, social media has an impact on your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was watching a series on Netflix. Before it starts there is a warning; contains nudity, violence, substance abuse,language, and (wait for it)-------- smoking.
I can remember back in the 50s at family dinners the smoke would so thick you could not see across the room.I don't miss the smoke but putting it in the same class as violence, come on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:35 am 
Crown Grade

DEG wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:

I don't even have a facebook account but I think every single adult should "give two $hit$" about social media censorship.

Social media has replaced phone calls and sending letters via pony express for most adults younger than about 45. It has become a primary means of communication for many and it allows them to communicate in mass. Communication influences individual beliefs and behavior. When people repeatedly only hear one side of the debate that is the side they will eventually believe and more and more will take that side because there is no more opposing views to convince some of a different view.

. What you just described is a ‘choice’. Mostly the decision to be lazy, and follow the herd.

I still regularly converse with those close to me via phone, text, email, and yes....snail mail. All works just fine. For those who feel they ‘must’ partake in social media in order to communicate, I’d suggest a examination of your priorities.

Complaining about social media policies as if they really impact your life, is almost as short sighted as hitting a tree in your car because you were looking at your GPS.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There has always been some censorship. The old folk song “Blue Velvet Band” originally was about a man who fell in love with a “dope fiend” prostitute and wound up in a robbery “where a young man was shot down in his prime” and the girl slipped the evidence “a diamond that was worth ten grand” in his pocket as the police came. But we didn’t hear Hylo Brown give us all those details.

THE GIRL IN THE BLUE VELET BAND

Hylo Brown version

YouTube and the Grand Ole Opry exist to advertise and sell products.

The advertisers want a family show, as a rule.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:18 am 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
DEG wrote:
Rooster booster wrote:

. What you just described is a ‘choice’. Mostly the decision to be lazy, and follow the herd.

I still regularly converse with those close to me via phone, text, email, and yes....snail mail. All works just fine. For those who feel they ‘must’ partake in social media in order to communicate, I’d suggest a examination of your priorities.

Complaining about social media policies as if they really impact your life, is almost as short sighted as hitting a tree in your car because you were looking at your GPS.

You missed the point. You don't get to decide the actions or priorities of the lazy or "the herd" and their actions do in fact impact your life.

Their actions are motivated by what they hear. When the education system, news media, and social media all block conservative views and reason in order to manipulate the behavior of the lazy and "the herd" then you should care.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:25 am 
Crown Grade

No, I didn’t. And I’m proud to say the ‘herd’ I associate with, has independent thinking down pretty well.

As far as filtered media influencing the intellectually lazy, you’re several decades too late, if you think that’s news. But your point was social media has ‘replaced’ conversing with those important to you. That’s not true, unless you want it to be. Your choice, good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rooster booster wrote:
No, I didn’t. And I’m proud to say the ‘herd’ I associate with, has independent thinking down pretty well.

As far as filtered media influencing the intellectually lazy, you’re several decades too late, if you think that’s news. But your point was social media has ‘replaced’ conversing with those important to you. That’s not true, unless you want it to be. Your choice, good luck.

You are exactly right.

This thread made me remember watching some tv show where two teeagers were sitting on the same couch texting one another.......... Brilliant

A growing number in this country,(mostly the generations who lived their lives getting participation trophies, and the worst punishment they ever received was a time out) wants so called news to tell them what they want to hear.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When I was a kid quite a few of the old timers were very superstitious.

What surprises me now is that my folks actually encouraged me to listen to all those old wive’s tales about hoop snakes, glass snakes, haunts and spooks, cats sucking the breath from babies, and water witches, and many other equally ridiculous beliefs. They knew, I suppose, that with my education and upbringing I knew better.

Another thing was, that before social media and the internet all the legitimate media was edited, and while I knew that details of any news story might be (or were even likely to be ) not accurate, they were never fabricated and were always essentially true. If they proved false, there was a retraction. That is still true, today for edited legitimate media.

But today Jim Bakker can peddle coronavirus cures, and a man was killed in a rocket flight attempt a few months ago trying to prove the word is flat, and a man in Nashville blew up an AT&T wireless hub over a belief that lizard people are using 5G networks to secretly control us. This is the new normal.

What’s changed (because human nature never changes) is that every one of us has the ability to seek out our own news. There’s no editor to filter it. We are assumed we will fact check ourselves, but millions don’t, or more accurately they won’t.

The world is round. 2 + 2 = 4. Cell phones are a damned nuisance and a destroyer of privacy, but harmless otherwise. We owe it to our kids to look things up we need to know answers for.

Otherwise they’ll snicker at us thinking cats suck the life from babies, like we did the old timers back then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Rooster booster wrote:

Your description of my point clearly demonstrates you failed to comprehend my point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Sure, whatever you say.......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:11 pm 
Crown Grade

GoDaddy just killed a major firearms website this a.m. It's coming. Guns are icky.

One of Many

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:08 pm 
Crown Grade

You-Tube is run by a group of little GIRLS who are scared of everything their liberal, brainwashed, Teachers/Professors, told them to RUN from.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Welcome to 1984 and the Thought Police...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Even though you can't legally buy a bump stock, there are still plenty of instruction videos on YouTube how to use them.

What YouTube attempts to ban are advertisements for people who are peddling bump stocks or other ways to convert a semi automatic into a full automatic.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7667605?hl=en

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:43 am 
Presentation Grade

and after a further appeal and review, I got them to agree that the video does not violate youtube’s community standards.

NRA Life Member