ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this normal for chokes ?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I recently purchased a Browning 28ga Special Sporting Clays edition.It came with 3 chokes. Skeet, Im Cyl, and modified. I found it weird that a full choke or improved modifed was not included especially for sporting clays.What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Is this normal for chokes ?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

No, they were going to cut cost somewhere. It just as well be on chokes. And, no, I don't think it's a mistake to leave out the tight chokes on small gauge guns. They are used mostly for shorter range courses, are they not?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's normal for that gun. No law against buying more chokes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I wish they did that for hunting models. I never use full but use skeet all the time. For turkeys, I go tighter than full so full just sits in the choke tube case.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a Lt Modified in all the guns I use, and go with that.

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you can't afford a choke , you ought not be shooting. It's to lux for you.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

[quote="sera"]If you can't afford a choke , you ought not be shooting. It's to lux for you.[/quote
It was ordered before I made this post.I f I can spend over 2 grand for a gun I can afford a $30 choke. I was just asking if this was normal. Every 12 ga I bought (Brownings and Fabarms) came with 5 chokes, this was the first subgauge over/ under I bought. If I live long enough I will know everything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I believe my 12 BUL came with C, IC & M.....at the time it made solid sense, still does.

For a clays gun it would make more commonsense, since choke tube fickleness is a hallmark of many.
Why add a couple xtra chokes to the package when most will seldom see beyond a drawer?
Give the person responsible for the tube reduction a raise!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

I just bought a 28ga 725 sporting, it came with 5 chokes. SK, IC, MOD, IMOD and FULL.
But then, it is a higher dollar gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

sounds like 2 choke tubes higher dollar.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ceh383 wrote:
I just bought a 28ga 725 sporting, it came with 5 chokes. SK, IC, MOD, IMOD and FULL.
But then, it is a higher dollar gun.

Yes , my 12ga 725 Sporting also came with the same, but it also cost a thousand dollars more than the 28ga. I guess you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You will never make everyone happy. Someone will complain that it didn't come with cylinder, someone will complain that it didn't come with extra full, someone will complain it didn't come with a .017 and .031...

Imp Mod and Full aren't commonly required for 28 ga sporting clays, so it's not too surprising they didn't come with your gun.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:21 pm 
Limited Edition

I shoot Mod for all my hunting and target shooting and the rest never see the light of day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I took it out yesterday and shot some clays thrown from my own thrower. A full choke was needed for some of the longer shots. Its in the mail.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:10 pm 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
I took it out yesterday and shot some clays thrown from my own thrower. A full choke was needed for some of the longer shots. Its in the mail.

That's hard to believe. I never see top flight competition shooters use more than an IMod, even in 28 gauge. How far?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Including a full choke on a sporting clays gun is pretty common, but I've never seen one come with a light modified.

The Browning Maxus Sporting, SX-2 Sporting and SX-3 Sporting all came with Full, IM, M, IC and Skeet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:23 pm 
Crown Grade

DEG wrote:
Including a full choke on a sporting clays gun is pretty common, but I've never seen one come with a light modified.

The Browning Maxus Sporting, SX-2 Sporting and SX-3 Sporting all came with Full, IM, M, IC and Skeet.

Actually most higher end sporting over/unders don't come with a full choke. For a quick check, look up Cole's DT11s. IMod is the tightest included.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:17 am 
Utility Grade

My Beretta A400 Black just came in with an IC, M and IM. The IC has 0.014" constriction....basically its a LM, the Mod is 0.021" constriction and IM is 0.028" constriction. I'm looking to get in the Cyl I have on order and have borrowed a Sk from a buddy in the meanwhile. The Beretta Cyl typically about 0.003" of constriction based on a couple I measured so should work well for an open choke. All based on a barrel ID of 18.6mm (0.733") for the Optima HP choked 12 gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:55 am 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
DEG wrote:

Actually most higher end sporting over/unders don't come with a full choke. For a quick check, look up Cole's DT11s. IMod is the tightest included.

But it's still "pretty common" that sporting clay guns do in fact come with a full choke.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My new 686 Sporting came with 5 flush chokes and the tightest is IM.