ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Buying my Dad with Parkinson’s his first O/U
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:39 am 
Diamond Grade

It’s going to be very hard to find a good over/under in that price range, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:45 am 
Diamond Grade

A used Citori field might be had in that price range. Find one on gunbroker and tell the seller your story. You might find someone willing to work with you. I know I would.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:53 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
For your specific application, I'd say an older model Citori field grade, or similar gun, with fixed IC/M chokes would be ideal. They are a quality gun. And, they can be had within your price range.

I would, however, suggest you re-think not having an auto-safety. If you are wanting to minimize the number of things he needs to remember to do, I would say remembering to re-engage the safety is definitely something you don't want to have to remember to do. Make "safety on" the default. I am confident that pushing the safety off to shoot will quickly become automatic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tal/IL wrote:

I would, however, suggest you re-think not having an auto-safety. If you are wanting to minimize the number of things he needs to remember to do, I would say remembering to re-engage the safety is definitely something you don't want to have to remember to do. Make "safety on" the default. I am confident that pushing the safety off to shoot will quickly become automatic.

I agree with this. Missing a shot because he forgot to take the safety off is not the end of the world. Maiming or killing someone because he stumbled while carrying a loaded shotgun, in off-safety condition, is the end of the world for someone.