ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cant decide on a 28 or 16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:12 am 
Limited Edition

oyeme wrote:
The only shells the Walmart near me now have in stock are 16 gauge and 28 gauge. I am thinking I should buy them all up and trade for the 12 gauge shells I need. No longer own any 16 gauge or 28 gauge.

Isn't that nuts? one of the "negatives" that people have pointed out on this site consistently about the 28 and 16 is the availability of shells compared to 20 and 12. Yet today, with all this craziness it's the exact opposite. I'm seeing the same thing up here in sporting goods stores...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:26 am 
Diamond Grade

It is nuts. Although Walmart seems to have decided that they don’t want business from hunters, the fact that shells for bird hunting are gone from actual sporting goods stores is weird.
Hope this passes soon. I only have about 10 years worth of hunting ammo left. I do have one box of 16 ga if anyone is interested...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:35 am 
Limited Edition

EricB wrote:
I do have one box of 16 ga if anyone is interested...

I'll trade you some Russian Vodka and toilet paper for it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:52 am 
Diamond Grade

Deal!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For Skeet, the 28 for sure has a place, where the 16 can only be used in the 12 gauge event. I have both and love both, but if I could only have one, it would be the 28.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

I shoot both, now that I finally have replaced the 311 I foolishly let go 40 years ago.

If you mostly want to shoot targets, get the 28ga. It is required for skeet. And for some of the most fun you can possibly have with your clothes on, Sporting and 5 stand with a 28ga can't be beat. And as an added bonus, it will work just fine for a lot of game birds. I have taken everything from woodcock and grouse, to wild roosters and mallards with my 28ga.

The 16ga can still be an upland hunter's dream. My new A5 Sweet 16 can easily launch 1 1/8oz of shot @ 1300fps with very little felt recoil. All in a less than 6lbs package that is a dream to carry mile after mile. And while my 3" 20ga SxS can offer the same field performance, it just doesn't feel as right to me as the traditional 16ga.

My advice, get a 28ga first, (the Beretta SP in 28ga is superb for the money). Then get a nice 16ga to complete the set. Then invest in a pair of reloaders for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

I love the 20 gauge but I think the 28 is a much better "bird" load especially trapped in Southeast where our birds are limited to snipe, quail, doves, rail and woodcock.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

I would suggest the 28.

After taking a 28 to South America to hunt doves, pigeons, and perdiz, I never took a 20 or 12 back again.

Ammo is available even in South America and Europe (more so than a 16) and the gun itself is light to carry and gets it done with a bit larger shot, even with larger birds.

Steel shot has made the 28 no longer practical for Ducks and even with lead it is not really suitable for geese.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Count me as another vote for the 16. It’s a joy to shoot if you stick with one ounce loads as I think it was originally designed for. I have both and for hunting the 16 gets the nod most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:21 pm 
Limited Edition

This guy is a troll if you look up his posts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:55 pm 
Crown Grade

For myself,I say go with the 28 gauge.Been using one in the uplands now for over 50 years.No complaints so far.:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

I own some real serious 16 gauge double guns and I love them in the Grouse woods, however a while back John Houchins helped me recover one of my Great Grandfathers stolen L.C. Smith #2 guns. The man who had the gun had Briley sleeve the 20 gauge Damascus barrels with permanent full length 28 gauge sleeves, along with screw in Sk1 & SK2 chokes. Now I realize there is no another gun like it, however this gun for shooting both Grouse, Woodcock & Quail, along with Clays and Skeet is just one great gun. If you happen to like 28 gauge double guns, this one is very very hard to leave at home, either when hunting wild birds or shooting true doubles at the club.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

L.C. Smith 28 Gauge #2 gun, with Kraus engraving.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

I bought a 16 gauge FAIR Jubilee because I can. No other excuse needed.
At 6 pounds 4 ounces, it will be a joy to carry.
1 ounce 16 gauge loads kick just like 1 ounce 20 gauge loads in a 6 pound Upland gun.
There is no free lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you can't decide just do the math. Take an average.
28+16 = 44
44/2 = 22
There you have it, buy a 22 gauge. If you can't find one, just get as close as you can.
20 gauge.

If you already have a 20 then problem solved, you got it already.
It will shoot 16 loads and 28 loads, again problem solved.

There is no advantage in the world to having a 28 over a 20 if you don't shoot skeet.
There is no advantage in the world to having a 16 over a 3 inch 20.

That really should be the end of the story, and is to the vast majority. That is why you don't see many 16s or 28s. It is all pretty obvious. Back in my more foolish days I complicated my life with solving problems that were not really problems, if you just avoided them to begin with. I still do that occasionally but I have got better at it, but still not perfect, I got three 12 gauge autos, and 4 over/unders. That shows I have trouble following my own rules, but I have been selling lately, maybe I will get there eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:41 am 
Crown Grade

There can be many advantages for having any gauge.....with choosing a gauge by manner of math often amounting to missing out.

Reducing decisions to math alone is certainly the easy route tho but sadly, a crowded route of follow-the-leader.
Folks do like leaders and, dem experts.

Hopefully, folks new and old to scatterguns will not be swayed by such slipstick thinking alone.
Mistakes can be a good thing, we all have made them along our path with shotgun stuff and, I wager, we have been richer in experiences if not in the billfold, for it.
Why short-sheet anyone?....solely for reason to toot?
I reckon.
And, where would message boards be without a which is best rehash?

IF, someone is considering between a 16 and a 28 then I hope they factor in that neither exits as a single set of particulars.
The experts often imply that they do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:46 am 
Tournament Grade

The 16 gauge is more versatile than the 28 gauge but in reality there is not much difference with the 16 gauge from the 20 and 12 gauges. If your main goal is something more different its the 28. However, if you are really into shotguns, no shotgun collection is complete without including both a 16 and 28.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I reload from 10 ga down to .410 bore. Go take a look at what’s available for the 10 and 16 ga and then compare it to everything else. It’s a real eye opener

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

Multiflora wrote:
There can be many advantages for having any gauge.....with choosing a gauge by manner of math often amounting to missing out.

Okay, so there are many advantages to any gauge. We are so lucky to have you straighten us out on this. Now we can get the truth. Give us the advantages:

First tell us about the advantages of 16 over a 3 inch 20. Us morons have probably not been able to figure that one out,

Next tell us about the advantages of a 28 over a 20, setting aside the skeet class for 28, since that was covered by several guys already.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:40 pm 
Crown Grade

You appear high-centered and unable to look or consider beyond that sliptstick, Joe.

However, that's cool..... {hs# ....no reason to work off your union card.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
I reload from 10 ga down to .410 bore. Go take a look at what’s available for the 10 and 16 ga and then compare it to everything else. It’s a real eye opener

To me the real eye opener is loading everything for 10 ga to 410. I think you must be the ultimate shotgunner.