ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best Do It All Shotgun?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:06 am 
Crown Grade

Pump? SA? 12? 20?

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:10 am 
Crown Grade

Beretta A400 Xplor Unico; get the Kick Off recoil version. 7#, 3.5" chamber, can handle any 12 gauge ammo out there including very light reloads.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:13 am 
Presentation Grade

There are a lot of opinions on this, and a quick search will turn up dozens, maybe hundreds of threads on SGW alone.

I grew up shooting rifle and pistol, sometimes competitively, but came to shotguns relatively late in life. For reasons that escape me, I've never really been able to adjust to double barrels - I shoot my SA and even pumps better.

My advice based on what you've said would be to run down an A300 - it's very similar to the 391, is a fine gun for clays or doves, and almost no one has anything bad to say about them. MSRP is pretty reasonable, and it's a solid starting point.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:15 am 
Diamond Grade

I did it all with a 12 ga pump for a long time. Then I did it all with an O/U before doing it all with a semi auto. 12ga is the common denominator for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:39 am 
Crown Grade

There was a day not too terribly long ago when one could recommend Remington guns. Unfortunately can`t do that anymore if company customer service support if needed is important to you. Has nothing to do with the guns per se.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:53 am 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
Beretta A400 Xplor Unico; get the Kick Off recoil version. 7#, 3.5" chamber, can handle any 12 gauge ammo out there including very light reloads.

This is a good choice. You can also get an upland version without kick off that has looks a lot prettier. If you're doing occasional waterfowl there's no need for a 3.5" chamber (I only use 3.5" for giant canadas)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:08 am 
Limited Edition

Something in 12 gauge with choke tubes, and a 3" chamber would be the most versatile. I prefer clean used guns over new. If it has a fixed choke, 2 3/4" chamber, or was chambered in 20 gauge it would not be a deal breaker for me if I liked the gun and the price. I would go to a gun shop and handle some guns. A clean Remington 870 Wingmaster would be my first choice or an 1100 or 1187 Premier.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

noweil wrote:
Something in 12 gauge with choke tubes, and a 3" chamber would be the most versatile. I prefer clean used guns over new. If it has a fixed choke, 2 3/4" chamber, or was chambered in 20 gauge it would not be a deal breaker for me if I liked the gun and the price. I would go to a gun shop and handle some guns. A clean Remington 870 Wingmaster would be my first choice or an 1100 or 1187 Premier.

Just from the perspective of these guns mentioned, can`t go wrong IMO. Only problem is no Remington support. Having said that, there have been so many of these particular guns manufactured for so long, any competent gunsmith should be able to service them if needed. Just not sure about parts, unless the smith already has them, which is entirely possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Parts for 870s really don’t need replaced very often. I’ve broken stocks on two, which would have happened on any gun and needed to replace a broken extractor on the 1953 production gun I owned. Feel confident in buying a used 870.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LION21 wrote:
I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it’s not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don’t offer that option for their stocks anymore.

What do you shotgun aficionados recommend?

Thanks

A $1,200 Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge with walnut stocks.

It’s the finest repeating shotgun made on earth, at any price.

https://ithacagun.com/

A hundred years from today virtually every brand new M37 will still be in service, the same as nearly every one made in 1937 still is today.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mossberg 940

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Lion21,

I have different shotguns in different gauges for hunting different upland birds and Water-Fowl. IMO there is no real good gun for doing it all. The closest you might come is a 12 gauge, using real light shells for Grouse, Woodcock and Quail and heavy loads for Ducks and Geese and Pheasants.

Always better to use the correct tools for the correct job however, especially where good guns are concerned.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1900 L.C. Smith Pigeon Gun

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

For me, it would be my 870 WM from the 1980s. It has beautiful walnut stocks and came with a 28” full choke barrel. I sent it in for briley screw chokes and later obtained a Hastings rifled slug barrel. It is my quacker whacker, my deer dropper, and pheasant popper. It does it all. I have not had to replace any parts since I got it in 1985 but if I had to, replacements are a plenty. I would go with a Beretta 391 Urika as my second should a rifled barrel be able to be found.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:53 pm 
Crown Grade

jerrys wrote:
For me, it would be my 870 WM from the 1980s. It has beautiful walnut stocks and came with a 28” full choke barrel. I sent it in for briley screw chokes and later obtained a Hastings rifled slug barrel. It is my quacker whacker, my deer dropper, and pheasant popper. It does it all. I have not had to replace any parts since I got it in 1985 but if I had to, replacements are a plenty. I would go with a Beretta 391 Urika as my second should a rifled barrel be able to be found.

Won`t see many lists of all time greats that don`t include Model 12s, 870s , and M37s.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:16 pm 
Limited Edition

This guys a troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most any good quality gas operated autoloader with a 26" or 28" barrel and a 3" chamber that fits and balances nicely for you will do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:41 pm 
Limited Edition

IMHO, there is not a "do it all" shotgun. That's why I have 13 of them...

But, if I had to choose only one, I'd go with an O/U in 16 bore. I have a White Lightning that with the right load could do it all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

was LION excommunicated :?:

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

For a do all gun, the 12 gage with 3 or 3.5 is the best choice. There really is no debate on that. Yes, smaller gages are nicer for select applications but to shoot anything from a woodcock to a turkey with good ole lead and geese with steel this one will get it done. Any 12 semi auto having the ability to shoot more than 2 shots is the best too. There is a reason the Feds require a plug when waterfowl hunting (and it was not pumps it was JBs original auto 5) and there is a reason snow goose hunters run SAs with magazine tubes having lengths longer than there barrel. If best means most versatile this is where you land.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:01 pm 
Crown Grade

This somehow says that I was the OP (?). Not exactly sure how that happened, but I`m not!