ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: effective range by shotsize
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Does anyone know of a reference for the effectiveness of different shot sizes at different distances for clays?

Seems like the sort of thing some grad student might have done, but (again, relative to clay birds) I'm curious where the energy in a given shot size/mass becomes insufficient.

We have a lot of long shots on our sporting clays course - 40-50 yards, a few somewhat more) and I heard a lot of people claim that's at the edge of where 7.5 can work. I suspect if more like the edge of where the shooters can work.

Post subject: Re: effective range by shotsize
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

https://rangeservices.nra.org/media/407 ... istics.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Watch "World record longest shot at a clay pigeon" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Teixm6JMw_k

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Win50 wrote:
Does anyone know of a reference for the effectiveness of different shot sizes at different distances for clays?

Seems like the sort of thing some grad student might have done, but (again, relative to clay birds) I'm curious where the energy in a given shot size/mass becomes insufficient.

We have a lot of long shots on our sporting clays course - 40-50 yards, a few somewhat more) and I heard a lot of people claim that's at the edge of where 7.5 can work. I suspect if more like the edge of where the shooters can work.

The shells with 7.5 shot have the capability of breaking targets well beyond the 50 yard barrier. Attend any large event and watch the make a break finals. The high point targets are 65-70 yards plus crossers. At that range, it is skill and experience and few can pull it off but if the shot charge is sent to the right place, the targets break.

I had the opportunity to watch that particular event at the 2019 US Open. It was mind blowing to see how consistently the top shots broke the 7 point target once they dialed it in. a couple misses and then they had a good read on it. Impressive.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've never shot any clay game that a swarm of 8's didn't take care of business, 7 1/2 should work a treat. Use the shot size you have confidence in. 40-50 yd shots are in my wheel house........$$$$ :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:32 pm 
Field Grade

At the 2019 Worlds, I watched some of the top shooters breaking 70 yard targets with 9 shot at the Guiness qualifier field.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Digweed uses #5's for his 130 yd shot. I have seen 7.5 break targets at 90 yds.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

sera wrote:
Digweed uses #5's for his 130 yd shot. I have seen 7.5 break targets at 90 yds.

If British #5's they are approximately a US #6.

When I shot driven in Wales we used British #6's, approximately a US #7, and they brought down pheasants and partridges cleanly when the shot was on target.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

The OP could have typed the question in the search box and got a chart in living color with the distances of various shot si
Attachment:
ss.jpg
zes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Road Rat wrote:
The OP could have typed the question in the search box and got a chart in living color with the distances of various shot si
Attachment:
ss.jpg
zes.

I thought the OP's question was what is the maximum effective range to break clays.

shotgunreport.com just had an interesting video link from what I guess is Australian Blokes which addresses this topic.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:24 am 
Crown Grade

Gunsite Guy wrote:
Road Rat wrote:
Attachment:
ss.jpg
zes.

I thought the OP's question was what is the maximum effective range to break clays.

shotgunreport.com just had an interesting video link from what I guess is Australian Blokes which addresses this topic.

s/f Steve

SORRY! My error.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks guys - right - I was looking for how far out the pellets actually have enough energy to break the clay, not how far they can travel total.

In any event, it seems pretty clear that 8 should be good enough out to 40 or 50 yards, and if the targets aren't breaking it's more likely they aren't getting hit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Let me throw something else at you, again from shotgun report. It was a question I had submitted. If it is an incoming clay, the velocity of the clay increases the breaking energy of the #8's. If you need the math, go to the Technoid's site.

In the meantime, when I see an incoming clay from way out there, with just the edge showing, I believe #8's are the ticket.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use 50/50 7 1/2 & 8s
Really can’t tell the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:20 am 
Utility Grade

I use #7.5 for all of my 12 gauge loads. Started when I was loading 1 ounce loads for trap, the larger shot carries more energy and does a better job of breaking the clays. When you are an old fart that does matter, because our reaction time isn't what it once was and neither is our eyesight. So I need a nice big breakup to be sure I hit the darned target because I cant see a chip 50 yards out. Now that I'm shooting Skeet still use the #7.5 mainly out of habit, however if I'm in the mood for some Sporting Clays it's nice to have the long range capability. As for long range hitting power, I sometimes neglect to switch the safety off on the Trap field and have hit targets falling to the range berm which is 64 yards out per my Nikon range finder. So I can testify that #7.5 will produce a good solid break at 60 yards or touch more. It will also turn a clay target into a cloud of black dust on the Skeet field.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Read Dr. A. C. Jones’s book. If he doesn’t answer your exact question, he will get awfully close.