ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10 gauge semiauto
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I’m on a mission to find a 10 gauge semiauto to set up as a goose gun. Any thoughts on which brand?

Post subject: Re: 10 gauge semiauto
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Browning Gold 10 gauge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:18 pm 
Utility Grade

MNGunner wrote:
Browning Gold 10 gauge

Why this one over let’s say REM SP10?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had an SP10. Was a very good goose gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First choice, Browning. Second choice, Remington. Distant third choice, Ithaca. I had to repair way too many Ithacas, several more than once.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

You have a choice of three- Ithaca, Remington, and Browning.

I have a pair of Ithaca Mag-10s, bought the first as a used gun back in 1984 or 85. It is an early gun, made in 1976 or 77. The only problem I had with it was it would not reliably cycle the early steel loads. I bought the Wolff replacement spring kit and it has run fine ever since.
The second was purchased a dozen years ago as a parts gun. It works but it isn't pretty.

The negative with the Ithaca is parts are hard to find. Some parts from the Remington can be made to fit but others can't. It is easy to guess which parts are hardest to find.

Most of these guns came with a 32" Full choke barrel which is not necessarily the best for steel shot. There were some 28" barrels with choke tubes but I don't know how easy it is to find new tubes. I had my barrel cut down to 25" and threaded.

Remington's SP-10 is very similar to the Mag-10, Remington bought the design when Ithaca went kaput. There were some internal changes otherwise the two models look alike. The SP-10 typically had a tubed 28" barrel from what I remember. I wasn't very interested in them as I had the Ithaca and the Remington was much more than I had into my gun. I've shot SP-10s since then but haven't noticed anything different from the Ithaca. It was discontinued a few years back and parts again can be difficult to find.

Browning brought out the Gold in 10 ga for a bit. There were two models, a standard weight and a lightweight. They both shot decently though the LW version did have a bit more recoil. For waterfowl I would take the standard, turkey the LW.

These guns were around longer than the previous models and I think parts are a bit more common. The barrels were threaded for Browning choke tubes which are pretty common. I ours prefer this model over the others but not enough to switch from what I have.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remington would have been better off to upscale the 1100 versus buying the Ithaca design and spending over two years designing fixes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Redlazer wrote:
MNGunner wrote:
Browning Gold 10 gauge

I have a Gold 20 gauge since 1996 and it has had zero problems. I'd also take a Browning over a Remington any day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you I have a lead on a Browning Gold 10. If I get it do they make aftermarket parts like upgrade mag followers, oversized bolt release, and oversized bolt handle?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Redlazer wrote:
Thank you I have a lead on a Browning Gold 10. If I get it do they make aftermarket parts like upgrade mag followers, oversized bolt release, and oversized bolt handle?

No idea, but also completely unecessary. I just bought an A400 Xtrema Plus and the first thing I did was order a STANDARD bolt handle to get rid of that huge .50 cal charging handle sticking out of the side. I've been hunting in Minnesota for 32 years so I know a little about hunting with gloves. Just marketing crap in my book, but to each their own...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Redlazer wrote:

I used to goose hunt with a Gold 10. I never had any need for aftermarket parts on my gun and I never had a malfunction with my gun. You don't even own one yet and you are worried about putting after market parts on it? What's wrong with the factory parts?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:51 pm 
Utility Grade

noweil wrote:
Redlazer wrote:

I used to goose hunt with a Gold 10. I never had any need for aftermarket parts on my gun and I never had a malfunction with my gun. You don't even own one yet and you are worried about putting after market parts on it? What's wrong with the factory parts?

Nothing wrong with factory parts. Oversize bolt handle to make it easier with gloves on, over size bolt release just easier to hit in the dark and when not looking. Upgrade mag follower just for allowing water to escape if any gets in mag tube, and smooth if dirt n all get in mag tube when hunting. These are the only reason I would upgrade parts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:41 am 
Crown Grade

Some people just have to change stuff on perfectly good working guns.

You should see the facebook group on the Ruger Standard Auto pistol series..........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:50 am 
Limited Edition

Redlazer wrote:
noweil wrote:
Redlazer wrote:

Nothing wrong with factory parts. Oversize bolt handle to make it easier with gloves on, over size bolt release just easier to hit in the dark and when not looking. Upgrade mag follower just for allowing water to escape if any gets in mag tube, and smooth if dirt n all get in mag tube when hunting. These are the only reason I would upgrade parts.

I'm not positive about the Gold 10, but the other Golds (and the Browning Maxus) have speed load--when you insert a shell into the mag with the bolt open, it automatically loads the shell into the chamber and closes the bolt. I probably work my bolt handle maybe twice in a hunt. Again, I hunt in Minnesota many times with gloves. The oversized controls are completely ridiculous unless you have arthritis or something.

32 years hunting with many repeaters and never had a problem with water or dirt getting into the mag necessitating a special mag follower.

If you want to make these "upgrades" that's between you and your bank account, but they are not needed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:43 am 
Presentation Grade

I like the SP-10 but as you can imagine with the Remington situation, parts are hard to find.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shot a Gold 10 for a while chasing white geese. Never had any issues. I bet it is a pain to find 10 ga ammo right now.

(These are my dogs, not shotguns) :)

NSCA # 517xxx (since 9/7/94)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:56 pm 
Limited Edition

GulfCoast wrote:
I shot a Gold 10 for a while chasing white geese. Never had any issues. I bet it is a pain to find 10 ga ammo right now.

10 ga steel is available. I even saw 10 ga slugs available. Prices were not pre-pandemocrat but it is available.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

NRA Life/Endowment Member

Last edited by PerryB on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:49 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
wondering if old mag 10 bbls will fit/swap on to a sp10?

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MNGunner wrote:
Redlazer wrote:
MNGunner wrote:
Browning Gold 10 gauge

I have a Gold 20 gauge since 1996 and it has had zero problems. I'd also take a Browning over a Remington any day.

The Gold 10 is a stand alone design and shares nothing with the Gold 12/20. It's an excellent shotgun (I have the lightweight version) but the only thing they share is the name.
I'd choose the Browning because it's the lightest of the 3, it's in current production and it's an excellent gun. Mines never malfunctioned in any way. Don't worry about the light version having more recoil. Its softer shooting than any 12/3.5 you'll ever handle.

NRA Life/Endowment Member