ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: High Standard Riot Shotgun 20-6 K-120
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:55 am 
Utility Grade

Hello friends,
I am new to shotguns and I'm looking to acquire a relatively cheap home defense firearm. I'm looking to spend no more than $800 and one of the shotguns I have my eye on is a riot shotgun over at the auctions. I just like the way it looks. What do you guys think?

High Standard Riot Shotgun 20-6 K-120

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892461824

Post subject: Re: High Standard Riot Shotgun 20-6 K-120
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:32 am 

basspro20 wrote:
Hello friends,
I am new to shotguns and I'm looking to acquire a relatively cheap home defense firearm. I'm looking to spend no more than $800 and one of the shotguns I have my eye on is a riot shotgun over at the auctions. I just like the way it looks. What do you guys think?

High Standard Riot Shotgun 20-6 K-120

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892461824

Not the best choice as the company has been out of business for decades, if anything breaks you will scour for parts.
Just my opinion

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The "COOL" factor on High Standard riot guns is off the charts, as far as I'm concerned. Super slick guns, hold it upright, hit the slide release and the forearm will drop almost all the way down. High Standard made GREAT pump guns (and terrible automatics).

I've owned a couple of the extended mag riot guns and still own a JC Higgins pump that was made by High Standard (it's a skeet bird killing machine).

But Curly is right. They are relics with no support whatsoever. I seem to recall reading the weak link is the slide operating arm. There's a sharp bend in the metal and the part tends to fatigue there. There's no fix for it once it breaks other than finding another gun to cannibalize.

Also, $800 is just stupid money for a High Standard. At least double what it should cost.

Still, there is this . . .

and this . . .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply guys, there are a lot of shotguns available. Where to start has always been a tough one for me to consider. "The Getaway" made the High Standard firearms worth considering surely.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

This gun gets lots of good press:
https://randywakeman.com/BenelliSuperNovaReview.htm

The Winchester SXP might be worth looking at also.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/winches ... e%20action.

I would get one of the above before I would get a High Standard.

Then, there is also the Mossberg M500, with millions of satisfied owners.
https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/500/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Bladeswitcher wrote:
The "COOL" factor on High Standard riot guns is off the charts, as far as I'm concerned. Super slick guns, hold it upright, hit the slide release and the forearm will drop almost all the way down. High Standard made GREAT pump guns (and terrible automatics).

I've owned a couple of the extended mag riot guns and still own a JC Higgins pump that was made by High Standard (it's a skeet bird killing machine).

But Curly is right. They are relics with no support whatsoever. I seem to recall reading the weak link is the slide operating arm. There's a sharp bend in the metal and the part tends to fatigue there. There's no fix for it once it breaks other than finding another gun to cannibalize.

Also, $800 is just stupid money for a High Standard. At least double what it should cost.

Still, there is this . . .

and this . . .

Agreed. This movie in many ways it the reason I am looking at a High Standard riot shotgun in the first place. Super cool factor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I actually had one in my possession a few summers back. My brother in law was in the process of moving and left a few guns with us for safe keeping. I shot it some and liked it. He paid $200 for it at a pawn shop and I asked him if he wanted to get his money back.
He didn't. No way would I pay much more than that because like others have said, if one little part breaks....

Find a good used Remington or Mossberg and use the savings to buy shells for practice.