ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can you buy a better Trap score?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:50 am 
Limited Edition

I did. I was never a great trap shooter in the first place. But I never had a genuine trap gun. Then I bought a Browning Broadway Superposed Trap. My scores immediately improved. Some was psychological but a lot was just having a nice fitting gun designed for the task at hand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I started shooting pigeons w/ a 682 Beretta , my only nice gun , back then. These high rollers I was shooting against had Perazzis as their rainy day guns. My 1st P-stick cost $5000.

I eventually won enough money to get an engraved Perazzi (SC 3) . When I took up clays I was the only D class shooter w/ an SC 3 Perazzi. It did NOT help me one bit. Instead I had to practice and get lessons.

My fancy gun was just a fancy gun and did not allow me to break one target I had not trained to break. Back then I shot 3 flats of shells for every 100 target tournament.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:22 pm 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
wrfish wrote:
I am observing a major trap shoot and marvel at all the varieties of trap guns. Stocks that are out of this world and high ribs that are just plain impressive. It reminds me of golf, average golfers trying to shave a few strokes off their game by buying the latest driver and spending a fortune on a new set of irons.
And them some guy using a Model 12 pump handing in there.
Can you buy a better score?

Of course you can.

It just requires the right grease, and the right amount of it, applied to the right places...... :mrgreen:

No, that doesn't work. My wife is working as a score keeper and did not get one single bribe. I told her to put out a tip jar, no takers

Should have had your girlfriend keep score, you chose the wrong scorekeeper. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:28 am 
Diamond Grade

High rib guns are much easier to shoot trap with. Vs a flat rib sporting gun it’s almost like cheating. So in that respect yes.

The terminator looking geegaws trap shooters seem so prone to put on their gun stocks often serve to reduce recoil. And that most definitely helps. I’m not a trap guy but In the few rounds I’ve shot I definitely noticed recoil more so than in any other game.

As trap is pre-mounted game you’ll notice that many trap shooters have a diva-like need for absolutely perfect fit hence many of the robot looking devices (which also help recoil). Again I think it’s safe to say better fit (even if at the expense of good taste) will produce better scores.

So my answer to OP is yes, I do think that vs a non trap gun you can buy better scores.