Shotgun Forum banner

Can you buy a better Trap score?

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  birdhunter39 
#1 ·
I am observing a major trap shoot and marvel at all the varieties of trap guns. Stocks that are out of this world and high ribs that are just plain impressive. It reminds me of golf, average golfers trying to shave a few strokes off their game by buying the latest driver and spending a fortune on a new set of irons.
And them some guy using a Model 12 pump handing in there.
Can you buy a better score?

#2 ·
In a word, yes.

I own a $200 pen that helps gives me confidence, to be a better lawyer.

So does a genuine Elgin 21 jewel #571 railroad watch in my suit pants watch pocket.

#3 ·
Maybe you can; I can't.
It's all in your head.
Once you get to a minimum reliable functioning level equipment wise, everything else is just massaging the ego.
I have just as good a grasp on the time with my Timex as the dudes with a Rolex. (I have an Elgin in my Dad's old jewelry box.)
At least SuperXOne and I have a handle on what works for us.

#5 ·
With a shooting coach probably, if your gun fits you, and is reliable, buying the latest and greatest 25k gun and super wonder shells with magnificently hard shot a computer designed wad, special powder, and a CNC applied crimp probably not. But if you have the disposable income to do it, why not, we are only here once :!: :D :D :D

cdb

#6 ·
Yes, but not in the way I think you're thinking. The gun isn't going to do it…the practice is. I would bet everything I own that you could get an HR single shot shotgun and with enough practice and the gun stayed together, one could be a world champion…you would be crazy to think otherwise. How many of you have shot or shot with other people that had a "cheap" gun, but did better than what you expected BECAUSE of the gun they had…granted some talent was/is there, but the fact remains it wasn't the gun.

#8 ·
I was a golf caddy at a private club for about 10 years in my teens and 20s. We had guys who would spend thousands of dollars on new clubs in the proshop every time Ping came out with a new design, and they'd show up every couple weeks with some new gizmo, then go out and shoot an 82 or an 85. And they'd be really irked about it.

Aside from the tour events, which were somewhere between carnivals and freak shows, the best golfers invariably showed up with a beat up set of Wilson Staff clubs, usually in a soft travel bag, and they generally carried their own clubs. But they played golf all the time. They also didn't get worked up when they (rarely) missed a shot or a putt.

Much like golf, most of clay shooting is between your ears.

#9 ·
Win50 said:
I was a golf caddy at a private club for about 10 years in my teens and 20s. We had guys who would spend thousands of dollars on new clubs in the proshop every time Ping came out with a new design, and they'd show up every couple weeks with some new gizmo, then go out and shoot an 82 or an 85. And they'd be really irked about it.

Aside from the tour events, which were somewhere between carnivals and freak shows, the best golfers invariably showed up with a beat up set of Wilson Staff clubs, usually in a soft travel bag, and they generally carried their own clubs. But they played golf all the time. They also didn't get worked up when they (rarely) missed a shot or a putt.

Much like golf, most of clay shooting is between your ears.
I'd put shooting trap at 100% being the six inches between your ears.

That six inches needs one excellent trap gun, such as a BT99.

#11 ·
Interesting question.

If you mean this question to apply only to equipment and not to time or training then, maybe.

While Reiger used a Model 37 to great effect, he was above average and, he soon stepped beyond that gun.
The equipment, scattergun in this basic case, must be able to carry you through the learning process without the negatives of recoil or breakdowns or whatever holding you back.
Sort of a form of the advice.."use enough gun".

So, the maybe....relates to having enough gun in hand to allow you to learn and progress.
What anyone uses is an unknown....so again, the maybe.

#12 ·
wrfish said:
I am observing a major trap shoot and marvel at all the varieties of trap guns. Stocks that are out of this world and high ribs that are just plain impressive. It reminds me of golf, average golfers trying to shave a few strokes off their game by buying the latest driver and spending a fortune on a new set of irons.
Of course you can.

It just requires the right grease, and the right amount of it, applied to the right places...... :mrgreen:

#15 ·
This question comes up all the time.

1st--are you a commie? Who has to dictate to people what they shoot , or drive or wear?

I have a friend who has over a million dollars worth of shotguns , most of which he has never shot. He drives a car you'd be embarrassed to be seen in.

2d --good equipment helps you maximize results (tho maybe not you). :wink:

#17 ·
OldStufferA5#1911 said:
wrfish said:
Of course you can.

It just requires the right grease, and the right amount of it, applied to the right places...... :mrgreen:
No, that doesn't work. My wife is working as a score keeper and did not get one single bribe. I told her to put out a tip jar, no takers

#19 ·
wrfish said:
OldStufferA5#1911 said:
wrfish said:
Of course you can.

No, that doesn't work. My wife is working as a score keeper and did not get one single bribe. I told her to put out a tip jar, no takers
Should I tip before or after the round ?

#21 ·
I did. I was never a great trap shooter in the first place. But I never had a genuine trap gun. Then I bought a Browning Broadway Superposed Trap. My scores immediately improved. Some was psychological but a lot was just having a nice fitting gun designed for the task at hand.

#22 ·
I started shooting pigeons w/ a 682 Beretta , my only nice gun , back then. These high rollers I was shooting against had Perazzis as their rainy day guns. My 1st P-stick cost $5000.

I eventually won enough money to get an engraved Perazzi (SC 3) . When I took up clays I was the only D class shooter w/ an SC 3 Perazzi. It did NOT help me one bit. Instead I had to practice and get lessons.

My fancy gun was just a fancy gun and did not allow me to break one target I had not trained to break. Back then I shot 3 flats of shells for every 100 target tournament.

#23 ·
wrfish said:
OldStufferA5#1911 said:
wrfish said:
Of course you can.

Should have had your girlfriend keep score, you chose the wrong scorekeeper. :wink:

#24 ·
High rib guns are much easier to shoot trap with. Vs a flat rib sporting gun it's almost like cheating. So in that respect yes.

The terminator looking geegaws trap shooters seem so prone to put on their gun stocks often serve to reduce recoil. And that most definitely helps. I'm not a trap guy but In the few rounds I've shot I definitely noticed recoil more so than in any other game.

As trap is pre-mounted game you'll notice that many trap shooters have a diva-like need for absolutely perfect fit hence many of the robot looking devices (which also help recoil). Again I think it's safe to say better fit (even if at the expense of good taste) will produce better scores.

So my answer to OP is yes, I do think that vs a non trap gun you can buy better scores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.