ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Found a new SXS, but not sure I should buy. HELP??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been looking for a 20 gauge light weight SXS , and while I was at Cabelas this weekend I found one that felt and looked really nice. The only reason I didnt buy it was because it is a Tristar. Tell me why or why I should not buy this gun.

NSCA #552684

Post subject: Re: Found a new SXS, but not sure I should buy. HELP??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am not much help. I had a Tristar o/u several years ago that was a disaster. I have friends shooting Tristar semi autos that seem to work ok. How old is the gun?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 am 
Limited Edition

The Tristar semi auto Viper G2's seem pretty bulletproof . I have no experience with the SXS , the only way I would get one the SXS is if it has a steel receiver . Tristar has a 5 year warranty . A call to them would answer any questions . They always answer the phone. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:26 am 
Crown Grade

Tristar does not manufacture guns, but imports guns from other manufacturers under the Tristar name. I have a Tristar Brittany 16 ga SXS that is my favorite bird gun. The gun was built by Zabala of Spain and once I fixed some gun fit issues it has proven to be effective and reliable. I have a BSA Classic 16 ga also by Zabala, so was fairly certain the Brittany would be a quality gun. Before purchasing a Tristar, I would research where and by what manufacturer the gun was made and attempt to find online reviews of that particular model Tristar. It could be a real keeper or not so much of one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:07 am 
Crown Grade

I don't know if this will help but here goes for what it is worth. I have had a number of Zabala SXS shotguns, mostly 10 ga., but also 12 ga.. They will never be accused of being a "Bespoke" shotgun but they are solid & functional. I have never had one fail to function. The 10's were heavy & didn't handle well. The 12 was much better & I am sorry I sold it. My guess is a 20 would handle even better. I would think that if you want a functional working gun & you like how the gun handles, you will be satisfied with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:11 am 
Tournament Grade

I should of been more specific in my original post the gun is brand new and is a Tristar Bristol made in Turkey. There is not much on the internet, and definitely can't find anyone that owned yet.

NSCA #552684

Last edited by dirty girdy on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:25 am 
Limited Edition

I looked on Tristar's website and it says the Bristol is built on a steel frame. with the 5 year warranty I think it may be a winner. Here is the link. https://www.tristararms.com/series/bristol/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:59 am 
Tournament Grade

It does seem like alot if gun for $900, but I am having second thoughts just because the Tristar name

NSCA #552684

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:42 pm 
Crown Grade

All the Spanish shot guns I bought new came with a certificate of proof which also stated all of their specification, in Spanish of course. I was able to decipher all of the specs & I don't speak Spanish. Also, I believe all Spanish gunmakers have a unique maker's seal stamped on the barrel flats &/or the water table. These seals & the corresponding makers are listed on the net, along with other information. That is how I found the maker of the only Spanish 10 ga. SXS that I still own. The Ugartechea makers seal is on the water table! Most other European countries, as a rule I think, follow that practice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Your uncertainty and the fact that you want other people to convince you whether or not to buy the gun is why you should pass on the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

DG,

If you are looking at the Tristar Brittany 28 gauge gun made by Zabala in Spain, they are medium quality guns. So far I have heard of no problems with the guns. The L.C. Smith 28 gauge made for Marlin by Zabala is a very similar gun, made by Zabala also. Both guns are real decent guns for reasonable money. I own the L.C. Smith Zabala made SXS 28 double gun, the gun works perfectly and looks nice. The Brittany is almost the same gun, imported by Tristar.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Zabala made 28 gauge L.C. Smith, made for Marlin. The Tristar Brittany is probably the same gun without side plates & Laser Engraving. Join the 28 gauge Forum and talk with a few sportsman who own them.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:11 pm 
Limited Edition

dirty girdy wrote " I am having second thoughts just because the Tristar name" . That's a shame....I had never seen a Tristar gun before I bought a 28ga G2 a few years ago after reading all about them on SGW. I was apprehensive when I opened the box but My fear soon melted away. everything about it is well done and finished way above what it cost.
I don't know where You will find a steel framed SXS with screw in chokes at that price....... and a 5 year warranty but I wish You the best.