ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Semi auto cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Beretta A300 I just ran 50 rounds through and the action seems pretty dirty and oily. I dont own a shotgun cleaning kit and those bore snakes seem like they wont do a good job. Whats a good shotgun cleaning kit, solvent and some tips for cleaning my Beretta?

Post subject: Re: Semi auto cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't know about the A300 but I had a 391 Urika Sporting Gold that I used to put a 1000 rounds through before I would even think of cleaning it. The shotgun never had a FTF or FTE. It just ran like a sewing machine and it probably still is with someone else behind the trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:22 pm 
Field Grade

I use Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner & Lube and Ballistol on the internals(everything) and the barrel. I spray a good quality bore snake with them and make several passes. It works just fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Kits seem like the easiest way to go, but I dislike the multi-piece take-down cleaning rods that come with kits. The best purchases I've made in my firearms cleaning gear are quality one-piece rods for rimfires, rifles, pistols and shotguns.

Keep in mind that a shotgun cleaning rod uses a different thread for the cleaning attachments than a rifle/pistol rod, so you'll need a shotgun rod in order for it to accept shotgun bore brushes, etc. Make sure the length is suitable for your shotgun.

I'd buy a nice shotgun rod like the ones from J.Dewey or Tipton, a few bronze bore brushes of the correct gauge, a bottle of good old Hoppes cleaning solvent, and a bottle of lubricant like RemOil or Breakfree CLP. An old toothbrush can be found around the house, as well as some cotton rags (old cotton T-shirts).

That's all you really need to do a great job. You may think of other items to add later on down the road. Follow the cleaning/maintenance instructions in your owners manual and check out some YouTube videos from reputable gunsmiths for more info.

It's easy, and for some, a relaxing end to a day of shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Great advice ^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:33 pm 
Limited Edition

My tip: If, after 50 rounds it seems dirty, run 2,000 more through it and see it that helps clean it up. It will probably fire them all without failure.

If you just want a clean shotgun, follow the advice given above.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Any good solvent, a good rod with a brush, jag and patches, and some oil - pick the brands you like the best. I have found that a set of dental picks - whether old ones form a dentist or their plastic "gun care" counterparts, helps in getting into some of the nooks and crannies with a semi

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

You said that your shotgun seems "pretty dirty and oily." While shotguns do get dirty, after only 50 rounds I would never describe any shotgun I own or have owned as "pretty dirty and oily."

It is entirely possible that you started with a gun that had too much oil left over from your previous cleaning. An AR pattern rifle wants to be "wet" with a generous amount of oil on the reciprocating surfaces on the bolt carrier group. Most shotguns don't need to be "wet." After you clean it and oil your shotgun, yes you do need to oil it, wipe the surfaces down removing any evidence of liquid oil. You want to leave a thin film of oil, there is a difference. Wet oil surfaces will attract dirt more than surfaces with a thin film of oil. You need to find the balance between enough oil to lubricate your gun and too much oil that will attract dirt and other contaminants. Follow the instructions in the manual about how much oil to use and where to use it.

I own some guns that really do want to be lubricated to the point of being wet, AR pattern rifles are an excellent example. I have other guns that are at the opposite end of the spectrum, probably the most telling example is an AR pattern rifle with a .22lr dedicated upper. That bolt really likes being lubricated lightly, any more than that and it gums up the works and the gun cycles poorly. 2 guns that look very much the same externally but shoot different cartridges and have different internals that require very different maintenance practices.

Of course after saying all of this you might be doing everything perfectly and I just misunderstood you phrasing. Experiment a little. I would think that 50 rounds through a bone dry A300 would do no lasting damage, and you will probably notice a difference in the contamination level. Find the right balance is all I am saying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:28 pm 
Field Grade

All of the above posts are great advise.

I love bore snakes for a quick cleanup after a hunt (I hunt saltwater, so everything gets cleaned after a hunt lol).

I also have a nice one piece rod, jags, bore brushes, etc for deep cleans. I use CLP, SLIP 2000 and Bore Tech for everything.

IMHO putting together your own kit is the way to go. Otherwise you might wind up with a bunch of crap you don't need.

Last edited by Novak77 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought one of these Beretta Shotgun Cleaning Kits about 2 years ago. I really like it. I never unscrew it. I have one of those "alligator clips" clamped onto a cabinet beside my desk where I clean my shotguns and I keep the rod hanging through the clip.

That way, all I have to do is spray inside the barrel with Hornady One Shot, grab the rod, run a brass brush through it, and then push a cotton square through it (I cut up old T-shirts).

I do this after every time I shoot clays (usually a 100 rounds). It doesn't need to be cleaned that often but it makes me feel better and I enjoy it after a round.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/berett ... aning-kit/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One gun cleaning shortcut that I have found is an air compressor. It blows all the unburned powder out of the receiver and forces oil and solvents into every crook and nanny. Of course it is no substitute for a bore brush and plenty of elbow grease but it will do things that no other cleaning tool will do. Same will pipe cleaners. They allow you to scrub very small areas where you can't fit a tooth brush. Be aware though, there is no magical substances or technique that takes the place of physical effort effort that is required to properly clean a gun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Bruce Buck runs his 391 until it stops running and then just sprays some CLP in the action and keeps going. Then he will clean when he gets around to it. There is only one real part that needs regular and careful maintenance and that is the forend cap. If your A300 has the same set up as the 391, it is imperative that this one piece get the most care and attention. see this thread for more info. Take your forend cap apart and if it is like the 391, be very fastidious about cleaning it.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=176788

I ran my 391 for a full year without cleaning it.

For the barrel, I cut the T handle off an alum rod and put it in a cordless drill at low rpm using the bronze brush. Patches and jags and Hoppes #9 for the barrel and I would drop the bolt in my ultrasonic cleaner.

These things don’t need a lot of maintenance. Just the cap.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Some online videos show taking out the trigger group and cleaning and the receiver, is that really necessary?

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Depends to the gun and how dirty your loads are. For example my Rem 1100 .410 shooting my Win 296 reloads gets so dirty back in the action and trigger group that I have to clean everything after each shooting session. My other semi autos, not so much. My Browning Automatic 5, never.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:48 pm 

Even a kit that's inexpensive like this one will work well. https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Clamshell ... B00AU6DNBW
I like the multi piece rods as I don't need a 26" rod to clean an 18" barrel. I leave all of my cleaning rods fully assembled and make them shorter when needed. Most rods have adapters that allow you to use a .22 cal rod on a 12 gauge shotgun if you want. I like matching the rod to the bore diameter.

There are a ton of choices for solvents. Even WD-40 works gun as a solvent and it works well at breaking away gunk. Just make sure to remove any residue left behind after you flush everything. Use a good oil like CLP, FP-10, Militec to name a few. Put a drop of oil in each rail of the receiver and let it run back. Lightly lube the bolt and its parts. Clean the barrel as normal. Put a few drops of oil in the trigger group at the pivot points and spray off the excess with an air hose if you have one. make sure the carrier dog and hammer face have a light coating. If you want you piston really clean get some Slip2000 piston and choke cleaner and drop your piston in there while you clean the rest of your gun.

At least once a year or after your gun gets really wet. Include cleaning and relubing the recoil/bolt return spring assembly in your stock and the inside of the magazine tube.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I pretty much ignore the bore since whatever residue is in there will get shot out with the next shell. Other parts, such as the Beretta magazine cap, the 1100/1187 magazine tube and gas rings, all get wiped down and lubricated with CLP. I might wipe out the bore once a year when I do a deep cleaning.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:00 pm 
Field Grade

I'm curious, did you clean the gun prior to shooting it? I know some shotguns need a tear down and cleaning because they are shipped well lubricated from the manufacturer and they attract dirt, grime etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DanG wrote:
I pretty much ignore the bore since whatever residue is in there will get shot out with the next shell. Other parts, such as the Beretta magazine cap, the 1100/1187 magazine tube and gas rings, all get wiped down and lubricated with CLP. I might wipe out the bore once a year when I do a deep cleaning.

I agree that's the case for unburned powder flakes, but IMO powder fouling continues to build up in thin layers in the bore every time it's shot without cleaning. I surely do not clean my bores every time I shoot and don't think it's necessary, especially with today's non-corrosive primers, clean burning powders and plated bores. But, the more rounds I put through the bore, the dirtier it gets and the more residue there is to clean out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

DanG wrote:

What about the plastic built up by the wads ?