ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M2 Trigger??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:31 pm 
Limited Edition

I bought two M2s a couple of weeks ago. Checked the trigger pulls in the store, somewhat inconsistent but heavy. When I got home I tried them normally and was disappointed that they both have lots of creep. Talked to customer service, they sent shipping labels and I sent them in. They told me that spec on the triggers was 5#-7#(Wow)! I did not load or shoot them. Brand new.

I read Randy Wakeman's M2 review a while back. He also had a heavy trigger and said he was going to send the trigger group back, that Benelli customer service said that the triggers on M2s typically break at 3#-5#. I have not been able to find any follow up on his experience with customer service. In his review, he said:

The sole problem remaining with the supplied M2 is the trigger that breaks at a heavier weight than the entire gun at 6-1/2 pounds. Good triggers on shotguns seem to be rare commodities these days. However, after talking with the good folks at Benelli I'm advised that most M2 triggers run in the 3-5 pound area. So, just as soon as I'm finished with this review the trigger guard is going off to Benelli and I'll report back with the results. Benelli has had extremely good customer service in times past, so there is no reason to think that this instance will be any different.

Here's the link to the entire review:
https://randywakeman.com/Review_Benelli ... _Gauge.htm

My guns are on their way back now, so I called customer service to see what they did. They said there's no creep, one trigger averages 6# 4oz, the other 6# 10oz. They didn't touch them, saying they're "In Spec". I think their specs are poor. Anybody else have this problem? Am I being too picky? Is a crisp trigger at 5# or less too much to ask?

Last edited by Paddler on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: M2 Trigger??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:45 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
5/21/2010 Update: The trigger was evaluated and adjusted by Benelli Customer Service, improving the original break weight of 6-1/2 lbs. to 4-3/4 lbs. as measured by Lyman Electronic trigger gauge, a substantial and welcomed change. As mentioned above, stripping the M2 is pathetically easy. Take off the barrel and forearm, pull off the bolt handle and slide out the bolt assembly, tap out one pin from the receiver and out comes the trigger group. That's all there is to it. Internally, it was so clean you couldn't tell that it had ever been fired. A light coat of Montana Extreme Gun oil on the breech assembly was all the lube it received prior to reassembly.

Yes, Benelli did a very good job cleaning up the trigger.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:36 am 
Limited Edition

RandyWakeman wrote:
Quote:
5/21/2010 Update: The trigger was evaluated and adjusted by Benelli Customer Service, improving the original break weight of 6-1/2 lbs. to 4-3/4 lbs. as measured by Lyman Electronic trigger gauge, a substantial and welcomed change. As mentioned above, stripping the M2 is pathetically easy. Take off the barrel and forearm, pull off the bolt handle and slide out the bolt assembly, tap out one pin from the receiver and out comes the trigger group. That's all there is to it. Internally, it was so clean you couldn't tell that it had ever been fired. A light coat of Montana Extreme Gun oil on the breech assembly was all the lube it received prior to reassembly.

Yes, Benelli did a very good job cleaning up the trigger.

Thanks, Randy, I didn't see that update. I'd be very happy with a 4 3/4# trigger. In my note to CS, I requested a crisp trigger of not more than 5#. I sent an email to Randy Orr asking him to reconsider. Do you mind if I send a link to this thread? You obviously have more pull than I.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:50 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Having too much pull was the problem. :shock:

http://randywakeman.com/

Post subject: Complications!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:08 pm 
Limited Edition

My guns arrived arrived today. I spoke with Randy Orr at Benelli Customer Service yesterday, he reiterated that CS only wants to ensure their guns meet spec and function okay. If Benelli says a mediocre/crappy trigger is in spec, done deal. However, he invited me to send just the trigger groups back for another look.

So I was taking the triggers out of the guns with I noticed the outside edge of the bottom of the ejection port on the 20 gauge was very galled. Not just finish wear, but galled so badly that refinishing won't fix it. It looks to me like the oversized bolt handle is responsible. The gun was new and unfired by me when I sent it in the first time. So, a simple trigger problem is now is much bigger. Unfortunately, I didn't get photos of the damage before sending it back. Waiting to hear from Randy. Anybody else have galling of the ejection port on a 20 gauge? I also asked him to check the triggers, whoever said there was no creep is up in the night. Badly. Stand by, I may have to shop other guns.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Well, this is an ongoing nightmare. Just to catch you up to date, I talked to Benelli a week or so ago. Randy Orr told me at the time that the trigger on the 12 gauge now breaks at just under 5#, the 20 just over 5#. He tells me they can't do any better because the trigger guard is plastic. I call BS. The scoring on the 20 gauge receiver was caused by the bolt handle when they test fired it at Benelli USA. Randy said there is no shoulder on the oversized bolt handle to prevent it from being pushed too far through the bolt, allowing the flange to contact and gall the receiver. But that is incorrect. There is a .009" shoulder on the handle. The reason for the galling is the play between the bolt and the receiver.
Increasing the length of the shoulder should fix the problem. I emailed Randy explaining the cause but didn't get a reply. He's sending me a couple of standard bolt handles so it won't happen again. I call that piss poor design on the factory oversized bolt handles. Until that is corrected by Benelli, I would recommend against using the factory oversized handle. This begs the question, of course, of why they sent the damaged gun back to me in the first place.

He told me they "dressed" the 20 gauge receiver and it's out to be ceracoated. So, I sent them two new guns, unfired, and they're sending back a gun they damaged and refinished. Not impressed, of course.

The 12 gauge trigger I got back today remains just horrible. There is nearly 1/8" of gritty creep and it's still too heavy. I can't really say they did anything to it. Randy tells me they can't do much about the creep because it's plastic, that they're not "precision" triggers. I think the problem is the side-to-side play in the hammer. Ridiculous. There is so much play in the hammer that if they reduced the trigger pull weight or the creep it could be unsafe. Outrageous design, materials and build quality here. I compared it to an old Remington 1100 that's been sitting in my closet for thirty years and the difference is night and day. The latter is crisp and not more than 4#. The Benelli is a POS in comparison.

Given the sh*tty triggers, the design defect in the oversized bolt handles that can gall your receiver for you, it's hard for me to recommend anybody buy an M2. Can't wait to see what they did to the 20 gauge. These are $1400, by the way. Is there a lemon law for shotguns?